Richard Drake, of Esher
|Birthplace:||Exmouth, Devon, England|
|Death:||Died in Exmouth, Devon, England|
|Place of Burial:||Esher, Surrey, England, United Kingdom|
Son of John (the Elder) Drake, Esq., of Ashe and Amye Drake
|Occupation:||Equerry to Queen Elizabeth l|
|Managed by:||Megan Marie Orr|
Matching family tree profiles for Richard Drake, of Esher
About Richard Drake, of Esher
Richard Drake, of Esher
- Birth: 1538 - Exmouth, Devon, England
- Parents: John (the Elder) Drake, Esq., of Ashe, Amye Grenville
- Married: Ursula Stafford
- Death: July 11 1603 - Exmouth, Devon, England
Equerry to Queen Elizabeth l
- The Prominent Families of the United States of America By Arthur Meredyth Burke
- JOHN DRAKE ( -1558), of Ashe, Co. Devon ; High Sheriff of Devon ; m., 1535, Amye, dau. of Roger Grenville, of Stowe, Cornwall, and, by her (who d. 18 Feb. 1577, and was bur. at Musbury), left issue: --
- 1. Bernard, of whom later.
- 2. Robert, of Wiscombe Park; m. Elizabeth, dau. of Humphrey Prideaux, of Theoborough, and had issue.
- 3. 'RICHARD, and equerry to Queen Elizabeth; m. URSULA, dau. of Sir William STAFFORD, Knt.; d. 1633, leaving issue.
- He d. 4 Oct. 1558.
- A genealogical and heraldic history of the extinct and dormant baronetcies ... By John Burke, Sir Bernard Burke
- John Drake, esq. of Ashe, who m. Anne, daughter of Roger Grenville, esq. of Stowe, in Cornwall, and left at his decease, 4th October, 1558, Bernard (Sir), his successor.
- Robert, of Wiscomb, in the parish of Southlegh, Devon, m. Elizabeth, daughter of Humphrey Prideaux, of Thewborough, by whom, with other issue, he had Robert and Henry, the former a colonel in the Netherlands, of great esteem with the Prince of Orange and the States General, and the latter a captain in the army, both killed in the prime of life in the defence of Ostend.
- 'RICHARD, ancestor of the Drakes of Shardeloes.
- The youngest son,
- 'RICHARD DRAKE, esq. one of the equerries to Queen Elizabeth, m. URSULA, daugher of Sir William STAFFORD, knt. and dying 11 July, 1603, was s. by his son,
- Francis Drake, esq. of Esher, one of the gentlemen of the privy chamber in ordinary, who wedded Joan, daughter of William Tothill, esq. of Shardeloes, in Bucks, and had issue.
- Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry, Volume 1 By John Burke
- John Drake, Esq. of Ashe, who s. his father in the representation of the family, m. (26 HENRY VIII.,) Amye, dau. of Roger Grenville, Esq. of Stow, co. Cornwall, and had issue,
- I Bernard, his heir.
- II. Robert, of Wiscomb Park, in the parish of South Legh, m. Elizabeth, dau. of Humphrey Prideaux, Esq. of Theoborough, and had issue seven son and three daus.,
- III. 'RICHARD, equerry to Queen Elizabeth, m. URSULA, dau. of Sir William STAFFORD, Knt., and from whom the Drakes of Shardeloes.
- Mr. Drake, who served the office of sheriff for the county of Devon, 4 Queen Elizabeth, d. 4 Oct. 1558, and was s. by his son, ..................
- TYRWHITT-DRAKE OF SHARDELOES.
- RICHARD DRAKE, Esq., third son of John Drake, Esq. of Ashe, by Amye, his wife, dau. of Roger Grenville, Esq., of Stowe, was one of the equerries to Queen Elizabeth. He m. URSULA, dau. of Sir William STAFFORD, Knt, and dying 11 July 1603, was s. by his son,
- Francis Drake, Esq. of Esher, on of the gentlemen of the privy chamber in ordinary, who m. Joan, dau. of William Tothill, Esq. of Shardeloes, in the co. of Buckingham, and had issue, William, his heir; John, who d. unm. in 1623; Francis, of Walton-on-Thames; and Joan. Mr. Drake d. 17 Mar, 1633, and was s. by his eldest son,
- Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the ..., Volume 1 edited by William Richard Cutter, William Frederick Adams
- (VI) John Drake, of Mount Drake, Ashe and Exmouth, was son and heir, and high sheriff of Devon in the time of Queen Elizabeth. He married, in 1535, Amye, daughter of Roger Greenville, of Stow. He died October 4, 1558, and he and his wife are buried in the parish church at Musbury, where may be seen their tomb, bearing their effigies. She died February 18, 1577. Children: 1. Sir Barnard, knight; mentioned below. 2. Robert of Wiscomb; married Elizabeth Prideaux. 3. RICHARD of Esher, born 1535, equerry to Queen Elizabeth; married URSULA STAFFORD; died July 11, 1603.
_Thomas Brewer______________| d.1618
| b.1572-1582 |
| Somerset, England |
_John Brewer I___________ | d.Sep 4, 1637 Warwick, VA |_Deannes Baker__________Richard Baker
| b.Abt 1594 in London | b.1550
| England | d.1614
| d.1636 Brewer's Neck, VA |
_John Brewer _________| | _Richard Drake
| b.1619 St. Vedant, | | _Ann Drake ________________|
| London, England | | b.1577-1582 London, England|_Christian Fawcett
| d.Jun 23, 1684 |_Mary Drake/Grove _______ | d. Unknown
| Ipswich, Essex, MA b. Bef. 1600
| d. Unknown
|--Hanna (Anna) Brewer
| b.Jan 18, 1644/45 Cambridge, MA
| m.Feb 25, 1663/64 Charleston/Sudbury, MA
| d.Sep 11 1697 in Lancaster, MA
| (killed by Indians)
| Spouse: Daniel (2) Goble
|_Anne Skinner _
b.Abt 1622 in England
d.Bef 1646 Ipswich, Essex, MA
* J. R. Planche, The Conqueror and His Companions, Vol 1, page 126.
* Signe N. Parrish
* Edward Denton Brewer, In the House of Brewer.
* Joyce A. Hughes, Ancestry of Charles H. Brewer.
* Jean Coddington Bogart - Hacienda Heights, CA
* James A. Savage, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, (1969, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD)
* Dorothy Hand Dymond, Genealogy of the Hand Family and Related Families, (Gateway Press, Inc. Baltimore, MD 1982), says about 1620 in Cambridge, England.
* LDS FamilySearch® Ancestral Files
* NEHGR, New England Historical and Genealogical Register, page 424
* Arlene Onken
* By Andrew Henshaw Ward, A.M., A Genealogical History Of The Rice Family Descendants Of Deacon Edmund Rice, (Boston C. Benjamin Richardson 1858).
* Charles Henry Pope, Pioneers of Massachusetts, (Gen. Publishing Co., 1981), page 67.
* George W. Goble, The Goble Family, (1952, Not published).
* Norma Goble Boykiw, Goble Families, NB, (1976 by Himes printing Company, State College, PA).
* THE BATTLE ABBEY ROLL by Duchess of Cleveland, Vol 1, pp 183-4
* Marilyn Duncan, Ancestors of Robert Christian Potts
* A Rich Harvest, The History, Buildings, and People of Lincoln, Massachusetts, by John C. MacLean, 1987