|Death:||Died in Weymouth,Norfolk,Massachusetts,USA|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Richard Porter
About Richard Porter
- Name: Richard Porter 1
- Sex: M
- Birth: in England
- Death: BET 1688 AND 1689 in Weymouth, Norfolk, Ma
- Note: 1. RICHARD PORTER, husbandman, came in Rev. Joseph Hull's Company, sailing from Weymouth in Dorset, on or near 20 Mar. 1634-35. He was one of the twenty-one families "to sit down at %Vcssaguscus," 8 July, 1635. He was made a freeman of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 18 May, 1653. (Register, 3: 192.) He died at Weymouth between 25 Dec. 1688, and 6 Mar. 1688-89. He made his will at Weymouth, 25 Dec. 1688, and the inventory of his estate was taken 6 Mar. 1688-89. To his grandchild Thomas Porter, only
Marriage 1 Spouse Unknown
1. Has Children Mary Porter
2. Has Children John Porter , Sergt. b: in Of Weymouth, Norfolk, Ma
3. Has Children Thomas Porter
4. Has Children Ruth Porter b: 3 OCT 1639
1. Title: Genealogies of the Early Families of Weymouth, Norfolk, Massachusetts
Author: George Walter Chamberlain, M.S.
Publication: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore: Reprint, 1984
Note: Originally Published as volumes 3 & 4 of History of Weymouth, Norfolk, Massachusetts, Boston, 1923
Note: Frank Dyer
In the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. 25, page 13, is a "list of passengers at Weymouth, England, March 30, 1035, bound for New England," in which is the name of Richard Porter. In this list, also, are the names of other men, who settled at Weymouth, some of whose descendants of the same names continue there until this day. Reverend Joseph Hull, minister; Massachiel Barnard, of Badcomb, in the county of Somerset; John Whitmarsh, William Reed, of Badcomb; Zechary Bicknell, Henry Kingman, Thomas Holbrook, Robert Lovell and others.
"July 8, 1635, the General Court granted leave to Mr. Hull, a minister, and twenty-one families to sit down at Wessaguscus.
September 2nd, 1635, the General Court changed the name of Wessaguscus [Wessagusset] to Weymouth, so named, no doubt, for Weymouth, England. During the late war, the selectmen had occasion to look up the incorporation of the town, and found no other authority to act as a town, than this.
For two hundred and forty-three years, Weymouth has been the only ancient town in Massachusetts, with possibly one exception, which has preserved its original boundaries. Nothing has been added, nothing taken away. Long may the old town continue before it is cut up into insignificance. In July of 1635 the Reverend Joseph Hull and 21 families, numbering nearly 100 persons, arrived from Weymouth, England, and were given permission by the General Court to settle in Wessagusset. On September 2, 1635 Wessagusset was incorporated as a Town and the name was changed to Weymouth.
The town records of Weymouth, prior to 1648, are very meagre. In that year and in 1654, 1661, 1663, and 1668, grants of land were made to Richard Porter. For many years he was continually in office as selectman, constable, and upon committees; he was a member of the original church, and the name of "brother Richard Porter" often occurs on the old records. He lived not far from where the meeting house on the North Parish, in Weymouth, now stands; probably between there and the old burial ground. In 1651 a road was laid out between Richard Porter's meadow and Stephen French's land. In 1663 the town voted "that the flats upon the back river shall be let out for town's use for the ensuing year, for the thatching of houses, and this to be done by the selectmen. By flats we understand all these flats on this side of river, beginning at Snooke's Marsh until you come to the upper end of Richard Porter's marsh." In 1673 Abiah Whitman and Thomas Hunt, were appointed fence viewers for "middle of the town so far as the brook that runs by Richard Porters house." In 1661 brother Richard Porter, John Rane, John Bicknell, Stephen French, and John Porter, chosen committee to repair meeting house. "Bro. Bicknell, for making the meeting house tite, 3 pounds."
The name of his wife was probably Ruth, and he was probably married after arriving in this country. On Boston records is the following birth : "Ruth, daughter of Richard Porter, born in Weymouth, October 3, 1630. He died between December 25, 1688, the date of his will, and March 6, 1689, the date of the inventory of his estate.
Settled in Weymouth, 1635?
Birth: 1612, England Death: 1688 Plymouth County Massachusetts, USA
Born about 1612 (assuming the age on the passenger list was intended for 23, which would be consistent with the estimated date of marriage). Husbandsman who came to Plymouth Colony in 1635 on the "Marygould" & settled in Weymouth. (on 20 Mar 1634/5, "Rich[ard] Porter, husbandman," aged 3 [sic], was enrolled at Weymouth as a passenger for New England on the Marygould.) Died between 25 Dec 1688 (date of will) & 6 Mar 1688/9 (date of inventory). Married by about 1635, ____ ____. She was apparently deceased before the date of her husband's will. Source: Anderson's Great Migration Study Project. Their child: Mary (Porter) Bicknell.
Spouse: Wife Porter Children: Mary Porter Bicknell (1634 - 1682)*
- Calculated relationship
Created by: Linda Mac Record added: May 21, 2009 Find A Grave Memorial# 37339654
Richard Porter's Timeline
December 2, 1611
September 25, 1634
Weymouth, Norfolk County, Massachusetts
Weymouth, Suffolk County (Present Norfolk County), Massachusetts Bay Colony, (Present USA)
October 3, 1639
Weymouth, Suffolk County (Present Norfolk County), Massachusetts Bay Colony
February 3, 1640
Weymouth, Norfolk, MA
March 6, 1688
March 24, 1924
May 28, 1924