|Birthplace:||Coventry, Warwickshire, England, (Present UK)|
|Death:||Died in Roxbury (within present Boston), Suffolk County, Massachusetts Bay Colony, (Present USA)|
Son of George A. Potter and Martha Potter
|Occupation:||Came to Lynn, MA in 1634 as an indentured servant|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Robert Potter
An antinomian - a follower of Anne Hutchinson. He was tried along with her and her followers and they went to Portsmouth, RI where they founded that colony in 1638.
Robert Potter born circa 17 Jan, 1608 is the troublesome one in the Potter line. He is often given as having come from Coventry, yet his family seems to have been from London. He shows up in Lynn and Salem in the records.
He was an antinomian - a follower of Anne Hutchinson. He was tried along with her and her followers and they went to Portsmouth, RI where they founded that colony in 1638. Anne and some others then went on to near Pelham, NY where they were killed in an Indian raid.
A number of Robert's brothers and sisters came to Portsmouth from London to settle. George and Nathaniel had land adjoining Robert's property. Elizabeth married an innkeeper named William Baulston.
Elizabeth the William raised George's son Abel after George's untimely and still unsolved death in 1640 (before his son's birth).
Robert and others went on to found Warwick, RI. Massachusetts folks arrested the men of the town (including Robert) and took them back to Massachusetts and tried them on heresy charges. They were imprisoned for two years, and when Robert returned his wife Isabel Tripp Potter had been killed in an Indian raid (in Sept 1643).
Robert and Isabel had six children, the last of whom was John. Around 1644 John is supposed to have remarried a Sarah....... (No information about her)
I personally have come to believe that there was only one Robert Potter and that he was the oldest son of George and Martha.
Born: 17 Jan 1608 - Coventry, Warwickshire, England Died: 1655 - Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA Spouse: Isabel Tripp
- Born: 1612 in Clerkenwell, St James London, Middlesex, England
- Died: Sep 1644 in Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island, USA
- Marriage: abt 1630 in Roxbury, Roxbury, Massachusetts, USA View Info
- 1. Anthony Potter M 1628 in Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
- 2. Elizabeth Potter F abt 1631 in Roxbury, [county], Massachusetts, USA
- 3. Deliverance Potter F 1637 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
- 4. John Potter M 1639 in Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island, USA
- 5. Isabel Potter F abt 1639 in Portsmouth, [county], Rhode Island, USA
- 6. Robert Potter M 28 May 1639 in Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, USA
Died in 1643 - Invasion of Mass. Bay Colony
Puritans at Shawomet (Warwick RI) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Birth: Jun. 15, 1606 Newport Pagnell Buckinghamshire, England Death: 1655 Lynn Essex County Massachusetts, USA
Parents: Robert Potter (1577 - 1627) Elizabeth Marshall Potter (1572 - 1628) Spouse: Isabella Potter (1607 - 1643)* Children: Anthony Potter (1627 - 1690)*
- Calculated relationship
Created by: Robert DeVowe Record added: Jan 27, 2014 Find A Grave Memorial# 124227492
Jeremiah Potter's book from 1881 references Anthony Potter as his first child on Page 6 with no other reference in the book.
In the introduction to the Potter Genealogies, the author states that,
"It has also been stated by some historians that Anthony Potter, of Ipswich, was a son of the Robert Potter, of Lynn, who subsequently settled in Portsmouth, RI. There does not seem to be any records to make this certain. The name Anthony was a family name, and suggests that his mother may have been an Anthony, as the families of Anthony and Potter were connected."
- Genealogies of the Potter families and their descendents in America to the present generation with historical and biographical sketches. POTTER, Charles Edward (ed) Published by Privately published, Boston, 1888
- Robert Potter Find A Grave Memorial# 124227492
- Robert Potter Geni.com
- Isabella Potter Find A Grave Memorial# 124227582
- Isabel Potter (Anthony) Geni.com
- Anthony Potter Find A Grave Memorial# 124226787
- Anthony Potter Geni.com
Robert Potter's Timeline
January 17, 1608
Coventry, Warwickshire, England, (Present UK)
January 17, 1608
Clerkenwell, St. James, Middlesex, England
February 16, 1630
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England
Portsmouth, Newport, RI
Newport, Newport, Rhode Island
May 28, 1639
Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island, United States
Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island
June 17, 1653
Roxbury (within present Boston), Suffolk County, Massachusetts Bay Colony, (Present USA)