Matching family tree profiles for Robert Stanfield Saunders
About Robert Stanfield Saunders
Robert Stanfield Saunders
"He was an important member of his community. He was county clerk at Shelbyville in Shelby Co., Ky. This place was eight miles from his home. When court was in session he made this distance twice a day on his saddle-horse, Old Lady Jane, a small, bright bay who was retained on his farm as long as she lived. Besides this public work he administered on nearly all estates to be settled in his community. He bled people, literally, not figuratively, as that was one of the great remedies for ailments in his day; and so ingratiated himself with his neighbors as to know all their affairs and to be able to advise in most of their difficulties."
To Robert Stanfield Saunders were born by his wife Artemisia:
- Cynthia Ann, who became the wife of John Buskirk Veech and the grandmother of Ruth Mary Curry Dilley. She was born in Shelby Co. Ky February 19, 1823.
- Sarah Jan, who married James Van Dyke and bore two children, Artemisia and Walker. The boy died in infancy. Artemisia lived to womanhood but died young. She was not married. Sarah Jane Saunders Van Dyke died while quite a young woman.
- Walker died in his early manhood. He was unmarried.
- James, who died suddenly while a child about eleven years old.
Artemisia Perry Saunders died at about the age of thirty three and Robert Saunders, her widower, then married Maria Louisa Jesse. To this union the following named children were born:
- George William who died in infancy.
- Artemisia who married a man named Thomas and is living now (1914).
- John probably still alive (1914)
- Reuben - no data -
- Frances Flora married to Hansborough still living (1914)
- Charlotte Henry married to Joseph Lee - died while yet a young woman.