About Robert Soan
- The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 70 By Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters, New England Historic Genealogical Society
- .... etc.
- 9. WILLIAM HATCHE (Thomas, John the Younger, Thomas, Thomas, John), baptized at Tenterden, co. Kent, 9 Dec 1563, was living 27 Dec. 1611, when his brother Thomas made his will, but died before 13 Feb. 1627/8, when his daughter Mary was licensed to marry William Sudell. He married, probably about 1593, ANNE ____ , who was living as his widow at Tenterden 22 Jan 1629/30, when her daughter Anne was licensed to marry John Beadle of New Romney. The will of John Hatche, the testator of 1628/9, names his brother William's children.
- .... etc.
- 12. ELIZABETH HATCH (William, Thomas, John the Younger, Thomas, Thomas, John), her father's eldest daughter, born probably about 1600, died in New England between 1647 and 1654. She married first, in England, ROBERT SOAN of Brasted, co. Kent, who was living 23 Mar. 1628/9; and secondly, at Scituate in the Plymouth Colony, 9 Oct 1643, as his second wife JOHN STOCKBRIDGE of Scituate, wheelwright. She may have emigrated to New England with her brother William (11), on his second voyage, in 1638.
- Child by first husband:
- WILLIAM, b. in England; d. in New England between 21 Aug. 1671, the date of his will, and 29 Oct. 1672, when Walter Briggs testified as to witnessing the will. He married DOROTHY ___. He settled at Scituate, where in 1663 he occupied lands at the head of the mill pond on Brushy Hill Brook, belonging to his stepfather, John Stockbridge.* In his will he names his wife and his daughter Mary, and also his "loving cousin James Torrey," whom he appoints one of the supervisors.† Now this James Torrey was a son of Anne (Hatch) Torrey (11,iii), daughter of Elder William Hatch, and was therefore William Soan's first cousin once removed; and the reference to James Torrey in William Soan's will confirms the pedigree here given. Child: 1. Mary, b. at Scituate in June 1668.
- Children by second husband:
- ii ELIZABETH, b. in 1644;‡ m. at Scituate, 1 Jan. 1661/2, THOMAS HYLAND of Scituate, s. of Thomas and Deborah.§ Children, b. at Scituate: 1. Thomas, b. 25 Jan. 1662/3. 2. Elizabeth, b. 15 Aug 1665. 3. Mary, b. 15 May 1667. 4. John, b. 17 Mar. 1670/1. 5. Ruth, b. 15 June 1673
- iii. SARAH, bapt. at Scituate 15 Mar. 1645/6; m. at Scituate, 6 Jan. 1669/70, JOSEPH WOODWORTH, s. of Walter of Scituate. Children, b. at Scituate: 1. Joseph, b. 19 Mar. 1670/1. 2. Margaret, b. 19 July 1673. 3. Benjamin, b. in Aug. 1676. 4. Sarah, b. in Aug. 1678. 5. Elizabeth, b. in Aug. 1680. 6. Eunice, b. in Jan. 1682/3. 7. Abigail, b. in Apr. 1685. 8. Ruth, b. in May 1687.
- iv. HESTER, bapt. at Scituate 11 July 1647.
- [to be continued]
- .... etc.
Robert Soan's Timeline
Tenterden, Kent, England, United Kingdom
Brasted, Kent, England, United Kingdom