view all 19
About Robert Legh
- ROBERT LEGH, esq. of Adlington, wedded, first, Isabella, daughter of John Savage, of Clifton, by whom he had no issue; and, secondly, Isabella, daughter of Sir William Stanley, knt. of Hooton; by whom he had,
- I. ROBERT, his heir.' (This profile) # 6
- I. Margaret, m. first to Thomas Mere, of Mere; and secondly to Robert Reddish, of Catteral.
- II. Margery, m. to William Davenport, esq. of Bramall.
- III. Isabel, m. first, to Laurence Warren, esq. of Poynton; and, secondly, to Sir George Holford, of Holford.
- IV. Matilda,( Maud) m. to John Mainwaring, esq. of Peover.
- V. Agnes, m. to Sir Andrew Brereton, of Brereton.
- VI. ___ m. to ___ Pigott, esq. of Chetwynd, Salop.
- Robert Legh was s. at his decease (inq. p. m. 18 Edward IV.) by his son,
- ROBERT LEGH, esq. of Adlington, who m. Ellen dau. of Sir Robert Booth, of Dunham-Massey, and had six sons and five daughters, namely.
- I. THOMAS, his heir.
- II. Richard, of whom we have no account.
- III. Randle, of whom we have no account
- IV. Reginald, of Annesley, in the county of Nottingham, m. Mary, dau. of Thomas, brother of Sir Richard Vernon, and had issue.
- V. John.
- VI. William.
- I. Isabel, m. to Robert Holt, of Chesham, in Lancashire.
- II. Blanche, m. to Richard Lancaster, of Rainhill.
- III. Margaret, m. to Ralph Hide, of Skegby.
- IV. Margery, m. to John Moor, of Park Hall.
- V. Elizabeth, m. to Thomas Leversage, of Macclesfield.
- The eldest son,
- THOMAS LEGH, esq. of Adlington, . .. . He m. Catherine, dau. of Sir John Savage, knt. of Clifton, and had two sons and two daughters, viz.
- From: A genealogical and heraldic history of the commoners of Great ..., Volume 3 By John Burke Pg.453-457
- Robert Legh, Esq.1
- M, b. circa 1428, d. 1487
- Father Robert Legh, Esq. b. 3 May 1410, d. 29 Jan 1479
- Mother Isabella Stanley1
- Robert Legh, Esq. married Ellen Booth, daughter of Sir Robert Boothe and Dulcis (Ducia, Dowse) Venables. Robert Legh, Esq. was born circa 1428 at of Adlington, Cheshire, England.1 He died in 1487.
- Family Ellen Booth d. 10 Sep 1504
- Thomas Legh, Esq.+1 b. c 1458, d. 8 Aug 1519
- Randle Legh, Esq.+2 b. c 1470
- 1.[S11571] A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, Vol. III, by John Burke, Esq., p. 454.
- 2.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, SLC Archives.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1511.htm#i45427
- The Magna Charta sureties, 1215: the barons named in the Magna Charta, 1215 ... By Frederick Lewis Weis, Walter Lee Sheppard, William
- Pg. 139
- 12. KATHERINE SAVAGE; m. (lic. 4 Nov. 1479), Thomas Legh Esq., of Adlington, co. Chester, b. 1452, d. Adlington, 8 Aug. 1519, son of Robert de Legh and Ellen, dau. of Sir Robert Booth of Dunham Massey.
- Nooks and corners of Lancashire and Cheshire: A wayfarer's notes in the ... By James Croston Pg.295-358
- Pg. 307
- . . . . In 1478 his mother, Matilda, who had survived her first husband sixty-three years, and had also outlived her second husband, William de Honford, died. She must have been very old, for in the inquisition taken after her death her son Robert was said to be sixty-eight years of age. . . . As already stated, he had been married in his infancy to Isabella, daughter of Sir John Savage, of Clifton. This lady predeceased him, and he afterwards married Isabella, a daughter of Sir William Stanley, . . .
- On the death of Robert Legh, his eldest son, who bore the same name, and who was then fifty years of age, and married to Ellen, daughter of Sir Robert Booth, of Dunham Massey, Knight, succeeded to the patrimonial lands. . . .
- Pg. 308
- . . . his death occurring on the 8th December, 1486, when he must have been sixty-eight years of age. By his wife, whom he predeceased, and who died in 1504, he had Thomas Legh, who succeeded as his heir, four younger sons, and one daughter.
- Pg. 309
- Thomas Legh was thirty-five years of age when he entered upon his inheritance, and he had then been married about seven years, his wife being Katharine, daughter of Sir John Savage, of Clifton, and sister of Thomas Savage, Archibishop of York, . . . , and of Ellen Savage, who married Sir Piers Legh, of Lyme.
- Ancestral roots of certain American colonists who came to America before ... By Frederick Lewis Weis, Walter Lee Sheppard, William Ryland
- Pg. 208
- 38. KATHERINE SAVAGE; m. (lic. 4 Nov. 1479) Thomas Legh, Esq., of Adlington, co. Chester, b. 1452, d. Adlington, 8 Aug. 1519 (Inq.p.m.; will dated 4 May, pro. 15 Sept. 1519), son of Robert de Legh of Adlington and Ellen Booth, dau. of Sir Robert Booth, of Dunham Massey, Knt.
- The visitation of Cheshire in the year 1580 (1882)
- Ardern of Aldford. - CHART Pg.16-17
- Maud Ardern uxr Rob. Ligh of Adlington. child
- Sr Robt. Ligh obijt 9 H. 4. child
- Robt. aetatis 22 annor'm 9 H 4. child
- Robt. Ligh of Adlington. child
- Robt. Ligh of Adlington. child
- Thomas Ligh of Adlington.
- It is to have in mind that Tho's Legh of High Legh and old John Legh of the Bouthes were brethren.
- And the said John Ligh married Ellin d. to Sr Wm Baguley, and had issue Sr John Lygh of Bouthes, William Ligh of Baguley, Robert Legh of Adlington & Peter Legh of Berchinton, And of old Robert came Robin & Sr Rob't. Robinett & Robin that was father to Robert that married Ellin daughter to Sr Wm Bouth, & had issue Tho. Legh of Adlngton.
- Sr John Legh of Bouthes and Isabell daughter and heir to Sr Piers Sandbach had issue John Legh, James Legh, William & Jhn, &c. Then John sonne & heire of Sr John and Dame Isabell married Maud daughter and heir to Sr John Arderne and had by her Maud daughter and heir married to Richard Radcliff of Wordsall &c.
- Leigh of Adlington. - CHART Pg.151-152
- Robinett Leigh of Adlington. = Maud.; ch: Rob't (m. Isabel Savage & Isabell Stanley), James (a Preist.), William, Peter, Ellin (m. Roger Leigh) Leigh.
- Rob't Leigh of Adlington. = 1. Isabel d. to Jno Savage s.p.; = 2. Isabel d. to Sr Wm Stanley married by consent of the Pope because shee was of the blood of his first wife.; ch: Rob't (m. Ellin Booth), Maud (m. Jno Manwaring), Agnes (m. Sr Andrew Brereton), .... (m. _ Picott), Margaret (m. Thos Mere), Isabel (m. Sr Lawrence Warren & Sr George Holford), Margrett (m. Wm Damport) Leigh
- Rob't Leigh obijt 8 Dec. Ano 2 H. 6. = Ellin d. to Sr Rob't Booth of Dunham.; ch: Richard, Ranulph, John, Will'm, Renold, (Pg.152 Thomas (m. Katherin Savage), Isabel (m. Rob't Holt), Blanch (m. Rich. Lancaster), Elizab. (m. Tho. Leversedge), Margrett (m. John More), Margrett (m. Randoll Hyde)) Leigh
- Robert Legh1
- M, #327663
- Last Edited=28 Dec 2008
- Robert Legh married Ellen Bouth, daughter of Sir Robert Bouth and Douce Venables.1
- He lived at Adlington, Cheshire, England.1
- 1.[S229] Burke John and John Bernard Burke, A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England (1841, reprint; Baltimore, Maryland, USA: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1985), page 72. Hereinafter cited as Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England.
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p32767.htm#i327663
Robert Legh's Timeline
Clifton, Cheshire, England, United Kingdom
East Hale, Hampshire, England