|Birthplace:||Towthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire, UK|
|Death:||Died in Worcester, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Reginald Farley and Barbara Cave Hastings
|Occupation:||By 1500 Calderdale cloth was widely exported. Merchants bought Kerseys at the Halifax market and arranged transport to the continent where there was great demand.|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Roger Farley
About Roger Farley
- 'Roger's Will: Following is a copy of his will: "Roger Farley of City of Worchester, gentleman. Will, 29 March, 1622: Proved, 25 September, 1622: "To my wife Jane, the tenement my son Robert Farley now dwells in the broadstreete of Worchester and adjoining to the East side of now dwelling house and at her decease to my son Robert. To my son Robert the house in my own occupation and the house in occupation of my sister Alice Kent. To wife Jane, £300 and all the goods which were her own when I married her. To William Farley my son £120 and various articles of furniture and the lease of the house John Younger now dwelleth in . To Elliot Farley £100. To Edward Farley my son £10 to buy him a cloak and his wife a gown. To son Thomas Farley £5. To son Humphery Farley £5. To Ceycill my daughter £5. To daughter Margaret Broadhurst £5. To daughter Katherine Barnsley £5. To wife's son Robert Allen £40. To sister Alice Kent £3. To each of my apprentices and servant maids £10. To poor of Worchester £7. To Thomas and Edward Evans, my wife's brethern £20 each. Robert Farley my son to use my Cloth-Mark in any clothes he shall make. I forgive my brother Thomas Farley of all debts he owes to me and also discharge Thomas Rogers, my son-in-law, of all moneys and also my son-in-law William Ceycill. Lands I hold from Corporation of Worchester to Jane my wife. The deed of feoffment to some of my children of lands in Anbury als Avenbury in co. Hereford and of lands in city of Worchester to remain safe custody of my executor. To John Clyman £ 22. Residuary Legatee and executor: son Robert Farley. Overseers: John Watts of City of Worchester gent, and John Breyton of same city, Dyer. If I die in forenoon of any day my body to be buried in the afternoon of the same day and if I die in the afternoon of one day to be buried in the forenoon of next.
- Witnesses: Edward Waringe, William Allen, Richard Oswald, John Hill. Scr." September 1622: Worchester, Worchestershire, England
- ' Notes for Roger, Thomas' father: Born 1576 in Towthorpe, Yorkshire, England and d. 25 Sep 1622 in Worcester, England. He married (1) Isobel PUMPHREYS. Roger and Isobel had 9 children': (1) William (mentioned in will) born 28 Nov 1583 and christened 7 Dec 1583; (2) Dorothy, born 22 May 1585 and christened 31 May 1585; (3) Elizabeth born 26 Jul 1586 and christened 3 Aug 1586; (4) Elinor born 1 Sep 1587 and christened 10 Sep 1587; (5) Margaret born 1589 and christened 27 Dec 1589. Margaret probably died in infancy. (6) Thomas (mentioned in will) born 15 Jan 1591 and christened 24 Jan 1591. Thomas died in Jamestown, Virginia and married Jane MOLYNEUX in Worchestershire, England; (7) Humfrey born 9 Jan 1592 and christened 16 Jan 1592. Humfrey probably died in infancy; (8) Humfrey born in 1594 and christened 2 Jun 1594. Humfrey (mentioned in will) married Susannah SHIPPEY and had William, Thomas, Susannah who married Charles GREGORY and Anne who married Peter MITCHELL; (9) Katherine (mentioned in will) born 15 Jan 1598 and christened 24 Jan 1598. Katherine married ___ BARNSLEY. 'All the children of Roger and Isobel were born in Worcester, Worchestershire, England and christened in the All Saints Church there'. (Names and christening dates were taken from the register of All Saints Church and submitted by Lorna Jones). 'Roger also married (2) Jane EVANS ALLEN, a widow in 1599. Roger and Jane had' Margaret born 2 Dec 1601 and christened 11 Dec 1601. She married ___ Broadhurst; Joanne ?Jane? born in 1602 and christened 27 Nov 1602. She married Thomas ROGERS. There were other children mentioned in Rogers will who are not on the christening list. 'It is not known if they are the children of Isobel or Jane, but most researchers have them listed as the children of Jane': Robert, Edward and Susannah who married William CEYCILL (mentioned in will). Jane also had a son, Robert ALLEN, from her previous marriage. She is the sister of Thomas and Edward EVANS. Robert ALLEN, Thomas and Edward EVANS were mentioned in Roger?s will of 1622. Some researchers list an Elliott as 'Rogers' son. There is an Elliot mentioned but not as his son. Other researchers have listed Richard and Broadhurst as being the children of 'Roger', but since they do not show on the christening list nor or they mentioned in the will, I have chosen not to list them until we have proof. Another researcher has Humphrey b. 1610 in Lathrope York, England as the son of 'Roger' and married to Susannah SHIPPEY. I believe this to be incorrect because of the christening date for Humfrey. I believe our Humfrey b. 1594 and christened 2 Jun 1594 to be the Humfrey who is married to Susannah.
- 'Roger Farley
- 'I. Roger Farley , son of Reginald & Barbara ( Hastings ) Farley , d. will proved 25 Sept 1622; m. Lady Jane Evans , widow of a Mr. Allen . Roger Farley was a cloth merchant. He owned several parcels of land in Worcestershire and Hertford Counties , England .
- 'Roger & Lady Jane ( Evans ) Farley had ten (10) children:
- 1.1. Thomas Farley
- 1.2. Robert Farley
- 1.3. William Farley
- 1.4. Elliott Farley
- 1.5. Edward Farley
- 1.6. Humphrey Farley
- 1.7. Susanna Farley
- 1.8. Margaret Farley
- 1.9. Katherine Farley
- 1.10. Jane Farley
- Information on this page from Windows Into Our Past, A Genealogy of the Parsons, Smith and Associated Families, Vol. 1 ï¿½1996, Judy Parsons Smith
- Reginald & Barbara (Hastings) Farley
- The first known ancestors of the American Farleys are Reginald & Barbara (Hastings) Farley. Reginald & Barbara (Hastings) Farley had at least seven (7) children:
- 'I. Roger --> ancestor of the Virginia Farleys.
- II. Fabyan
- III. Thomas
- IV. Humphrey
- V. George --> said to be one of the ancestors of the New England Farleys.
- VI. Michael --> said to be one of the ancestors of the New England Farleys.
- VII. Alice
- 'Roger Farley
- 'I. Roger Farley, son of Reginald & Barbara (Hastings) Farley, d. will proved 25 Sept 1622; m. Lady Jane Evans, widow of a Mr. Allen. Roger Farley was a cloth merchant. He owned several parcels of land in Worcestershire and Hertford Counties, England.
- 'Roger & Lady Jane (Evans) Farley had ten (10) children:
- A. Thomas
- B. Robert
- C. William
- D. Elliott
- E. Edward
- F. Humphrey
- G. Susanna
- H. Margaret
- I. Katherine
- J. Jane
- Thomas Farley
- A. Thomas Farley, son of Roger & Lady Jane (Evans) Farley, m. Lady Jane Sefton.
- Born about the year of 1600 'probably the son of Roger Farley', married Lady Jane Sefton, of the line of the Earl of Sefton about 1622. Reference: Jesse Kelso Farley, Jr., Twelve Generations of Farleys (Chicago: Press of Albin O. Horn Company, 1943, p 5. They sailed on the ship "Ann" and were living at Archer's Hope, James City County, Virginia, 16 February, 1623. Reference: Hotten, Original List of Emigrants, page 230. Mrs. W. G. Stannard. Colonial Virginia, pages 43. VA Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 34, page 405. Tyler's Historical & Genealogical Quarterly, Vol 13, page 134. Their first child, Ann, was born on the way over and is said to have been named for the ship.
- Thomas Farley was a "member of the House of Burgesses for the plantations between Harrop and Archer's Hope and Martin's Hundred at the session of March 1629-30 and for Archer's Hope February 1631-32." Reference: Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 19, page 132 and pp 147-8.
- At Court in James City, 21 August, 1626, Thomas Farley, gent, confessed to "being absent from church on the Sabbath day for three months. He was ordered to pay 100 pounds of tobacco into the public treasury." Reference: Ibid., Vol. 26, page 4. From the minutes of the Council and General Court, 1622-1629: "Thomas Farley of Archer's Hope bargained with Widow Bush for the land he was settled on." Reference: Ibid., Vol. 24, pages 240-241. Children of Thomas and Jane (Sefton) Farley: Reference: Jesse Kelso Farley, Jr., Twelve Generations of Farleys (Chicago: Press of Albin O. Horn Company, 1934), page 25.
Roger Farley's Timeline
Towthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Liverpool, Merseyside, England