|Also Known As:||"Rodger", "Toothacker", "Toothacher"|
|Birthplace:||Billerica, Middlesex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony|
|Death:||Died in Billerica, Middlesex County, Province of Massachusetts|
Son of Dr. Roger Toothaker, of Billerica & Beverly and Mary Toothaker (Allen)
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Dr. Roger Toothaker
About Dr. Roger Toothaker
Roger Toothaker was born 27 November 1672 in Billerica, the third son of Roger and Mary (Allin) Toothaker. He was also a physician. He married Sarah Rogers, daughter of Thomas and Mary Rogers, at Billerica 20 July 1703. She died 8 March 1717/8 at Billerica. Roger remarried 7 August 1718 to Phebe Baldwin, who died 19 September 1736. Roger died 9 March 1745 at Billerica.
children, all of Sarah, all born at Billerica
- Margaret b. 9 January 1703 m. Ebenezer Felch of Reading 28 January 1733/4 Billerica
- Mary b. 26 October 1705 m. John Rogers Jr. 26 November 1721 Billerica m. 2. Dr. Benjamin Atherton 25 December 1733 Billerica
- Grace b. 3 July 1708
- Sarah b. 4 April 1710 d. 5 December 1754 at Tewksbury, Middlesex Co., Mass. m. John Levestone Jr. 15 February 1736/7 Billerica
- Roger b. 28 July 1712
- Martha b. 27 September 1717
'History of Billerica, Massachusetts, with a Genealogical register
- BALDWIN. 1. John, was prob. a brother of Henry, of Woburn, who is said to have been from Devonshire. He m. Mary, dau. of Thomas Richardson, of Woburn, and sister of Thomas, 1, of Billerica, 1655, May 15. This implies that he came to B. as early as this date; no other evidence has been found of his presence before 1657. He lived on the west side of Long street, near Mrs. Bennett's residence, north of Jonathan Danforth's. He d. 1687, Sept. 25. Ch. Mary, b. 1659, July 28, and d. Aug. 1. Mary, b. 1663, April 11. John, 2, b. 1665, Sept. 25. Jonathan, 3, b. 1667-8, Jan. 28, Susanna, b. 1670, May 14, and d. 1675, Sept. 8. Thomas, 4, b. 1672, March 26. Phebe, b. 1675-6, Feb. 7, and d. March 24. Susanna, b. 1677, April 14; m. Joseph Hill, 8. 'Phebe, b. 1679-80, Feb. 7; m. Dr. Roger Toothaker, 2.'
- TOOTHAKER. 1. Roger came in the ship Hopewell. Thomas Babb, master, 1635, Sept. 16 ; age 1 year. His father, Roger, aged 23, died after the birth of a daughter, Martha, who m. Ralph Hill, 2, and his mother Margaret, aged 28, m. 1638, Ralph Hill, sen. He had "leave to abyde in "Charlestown, 1654. and "6. 9mo. 1660. The town of Billerica have granted unto Roger Toothaker lyberty to live in ye Towne, and to settle upon and Improve yt lot which his father Ralph Hill, sen., gave him, which Iyeth in the great comon feild on ye East side of Concord River, below ye great bridge; also the Towne do grant him comonage and herbage, wood and timber, for his use," Here he had his home, which was prob.. when built, the extreme northern house in town. It is said to be still standing as the 'ell' of the Rogers house at the place where the canal leaves the river. In 1664. he exchanged about five acres which lay west of the road for twelve acres "lying on both sides, and taking in that long spang of meadow up° the pine plaine, on this side the comon feild, on the East side of it." This exchange was doubtless made to secure to the town the mill privilege for future use. He seems to have practised medicine, and was called 'doctor' at Salem, but our Records do not give the title. In 1682-3, March 12. at a Selectmen's meeting. "Roger Toothaker, being sent for and spoken unto concerning many things amiss in his family, he desired they would exercise a little more patience towards him, and he promised amendm't " But the amendment was not thorough; and 1684, Dec. 15, the Selectmen wrote a letter to him. prob. at Salem, where he seems to have gone, "to come for his wife ye midle of next week, and that they would help away with his family — in case of need and help fit them out." There was "need" enough, but he did not heed it. His wife received charitable aid, and two of his children were put out by the Selectmen to Joseph Walker and Edward Farmer. When the witchcraft trials came, in which his wife's sister, Martha Carrier, suffered, he appears as a ready witness. Abatement of his tax as '"deceased" was made 1694, July. He m. 1665, June 9, Mary, dau. of Andrew Allen, of Andover, and she was killed by the Indians 1695, Aug. 5. Ch. Nathaniel, b. 1666, April 27 ; d. 1683. May 18. Martha, b. 1668. July 23. Allin. b. 1670, July 17. 'Roger, 2, b. 1672. Nov. 27.' Mary, b. 1675. June 7, and d. Oct. 14. Mary, b. 1676, Sept. 28, and d. 1683, Dec. 5. Andrew b. 1679. Oct. 4. Margaret, b. 1682-3, Jan. 31 ; taken captive when her mother was killed.
' 2. Roger, doctor, son of Roger, 1, b. 1672, Nov. 27; m. 1703, July 20. Sarah Rogers. prob. dau. of John, 2. She d. 1717-8, March 8. and he m. 1718. Aug. 7. Phebe Baldwin, dau. of John. 1. She d. 1736, Sept. 19. and he d. 1745-6. March 9, leaving a widow Mary. Ch. Margaret, b. 1703-4, Jan. 9; m. 1733-4, Jan. 28, Ebenezer Felch, of Reading. Mary, b. 1705, Oct. 26; m. John Rogers, 8, and 2d Dr. Benjamin Atherton. Grace, b. 1708. July 3. Sarah, b. 1710, April 4 ; m. John Levestone (see 2). Roger, 3, b. 1712, July 28. Martha, b. 1717, Sept. 27.
- Roger Toothaker (November 27, 1634, England – June 1692, Massachusetts) was a physician who came to Massachusetts from England shortly after he was born. He was one of the victims of the Salem witch trials who died in prison.
- Roger Toothaker was born in England in 1634. In 1635 Toothaker travelled to Boston from London sailing from August 21 to September 11 on the Hopewell, led by Captain Babb. Afterwards in 1638 his father, Roger Toothaker, died, possibly in Plymouth on February 5. Later that year his mother Margaret married Ralph Hill on December 21 and they lived in Billerica. He served as an assistant to Samuel Eldred, and later became a physician although he had no formal medical training. Around 1662 to 1663 his stepfather Ralph Hill died. In 1665 he married Mary Allin and had nine children, Nathaniel, Martha, Allin, 'Roger', Sarah, Mary, Mary, Andrew, and Margaret. His daughter Mary died the year she was born, and another child born the next year was given her name. In 1683 Margaret was born and Nathaniel, the second-born Mary, and Dr. Toothaker's mother died.
- 1.^ a b "Roger Toothaker". http://ramsey.ohio-buckeye.com/html/toothaker.html. Retrieved 2007-02-14.
Marriage July 20 1703 (Age: 30) -- Billerica, MA
Wife: Sarah TOOTHACHER (ROGERS)