Rowland Morgan, Esq.
|Birthplace:||Machen, Gwynilwg, Monmouthshire, Wales|
|Death:||Died in Machen, Gwynilwg, Monmouthshire, Wales|
Son of Thomas Morgan, Esq; Thomas Morgan, Esquire; Elizabeth Talgarth Morgan, Baroness and Elizabeth Talgarth Morgan, Baroness
|Managed by:||Scott David Hibbard|
Matching family tree profiles for Rowland Morgan, Lord of Castell-Arnallt
About Rowland Morgan, Lord of Castell-Arnallt
- Roland Morgan
- M, #73930, b. circa 1508, d. 1577
- Father Thomas Morgan, Esq. b. c 1482, d. a 1538
- Mother Elizabeth Vaughn b. c 1485
- Roland Morgan was born circa 1508 at of Machen, Monmouthshire, Wales. He married Blanche Thomas circa 1533. Roland Morgan died in 1577 at Machen, Monmouthshire, Wales.
- Family Blanche Thomas b. c 1510
- Thomas Morgan+ b. c 1534
- Henry Morgan+ b. 1536, d. 1603
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2460.htm#i73930
- Rowland MORGAN (Sir Knight)
- Born: 1508, Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England
- Died: 1577, Machen, Monmouth, Wales
- Father: Thomas MORGAN (Esq.)
- Mother: Elizabeth VAUGHAN
- Married: Blanche JONES (b. ABT 1516) (dau. of William Jones and Elizabeth Herbert) ABT 1534, Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, Wales
- 1. Thomas MORGAN (Sir Knight)
- 2. Henry MORGAN of Penllwyn Sarth
- 3. Mary MORGAN
- 4. Anne MORGAN
- 5. Catherine MORGAN
- 6. Elizabeth MORGAN
- 7. William MORGAN (Sir)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/MORGAN.htm#Rowland MORGAN (Sir Knight)1
- Rowland Morgan1
- M, #471572
- Last Edited=10 Jun 2011
- Rowland Morgan is the son of Thomas Morgan and Elizabeth Vaughan.1 A settlement for the marriage between him and Blanch Thomas was made on 4 November 1517.1
- He lived at Machen, Monmouthshire, Wales.1 He was living in 1570.1 He also had four daughters.1
- Children of Rowland Morgan and Blanch Thomas
- 1.Thomas Morgan+1
- 2.Harry Morgan1
- 1.[S21] L. G. Pine, The New Extinct Peerage 1884-1971: Containing Extinct, Abeyant, Dormant and Suspended Peerages With Genealogies and Arms (London, U.K.: Heraldry Today, 1972), page 271. Hereinafter cited as The New Extinct Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p47158.htm#i471572
- MORGAN, Thomas II (d.1603), of Machen and Tredegar, Mon.
- 1st s. of Rowland Morgan of Machen by Blanche, da. of John Thomas of Llanarth. educ. M. Temple 1567. m. Elizabeth, da. of Roger Bodenham, 4s. 4da. suc. fa. 1577, cos. 1578.1
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/morgan-thomas-ii-1603
- A genealogical and heraldic dictionary of the peerage and baronetage of the British Empire (1869)
- LLEWELLYN AP IVOR, lineally descended from Cadivor Vawr, Lord of Kilsaint, m. Angharad, dau. and co-heir fo Sir Morgan Meredith, Lord of Tredegar (descended from Rhys, Prince of South Wales), and thus acquired the Tredegar estates. Llewellin was father of three sons, viz,
- MORGAN, his heir.
- Ivor, of Werncleppa, or Gwerney Cleppa, near Tredegar, ancestor of the MORGANS of Werncleppa, whose last male heir, Roger Morgan, Esq., d. in 1632, when his estate passed to the Tredegar family.
- Philip, whose son, DAVID AP PHILIP AP LLEWELLIN, seated at St. Pierrer, in the county of Monmouth, was ancestor of the family of LEWIS of St. Pierre. (See BURKE'S Landed Gentry.)
- The eldest son,
- MORGAN AP LLEWELLIN, Lord of St. Clere, in Carmarthenshire, and of Tredegar, co. Monmouth, m. Maud, dau. of Rhys ap Gronwy, Lord of Kybor, and had two sons,
- LLEWELLYN, his heir.
- Philip, who acquired the estate of Langston, co. Monmouth, in marriage with Gwenllian, 3rd dau. and co-heir of Sir John Norris, Knt. of Penllyne Castle, Glamorganshire, and was ancestor of the MORGANS of Llantarnam, (raised to the degree of a Baronet, in 1642,) now represented by the family of BLEWITT,* and the MORGANS of Tredunnock, whose heir is MRS. JANE HAWKINS, of The Garn. (See BURKE'S Extinct Baronetage.)
- The elder son,
- LLEWELLIN AP MORGAN, Lord of St. Clere and Tredegar, was grandfather of SIR JOHN MORGAN, Knt. of St. Clere and Tredegar, whose grandson,
- ROWLAND MORGAN, Esq. of Machen, living in 1570, m. Blanch, dau. of John Thomas, of Treowen, co. Monmouth, and had two sons,
- THOMAS, his heir.
- Harry, of Llanrumney, ancestor of the MORGANS of that place, now represented by LIEUT-COLONEL WILLIAM PEARCE, K.H., of Ffrwdgrech, co Brecon, and Staventon House, co Gloucester. (See BURKE'S Landed Gentry, Supplement.)
- The eldest son,
- THOMAS MORGAN, Esq. of Machen and Tredegar, m. Elizabeth, dau. of Roger Bodenham, Esq. of Rotherwas, co. Hereford, and was father of ....
- The History of Monmouthshire By David Williams
- PEDIGREE of the very ancient Family of JONES. .... Pg.156-159
- Thomas ap David ap Jenkin, of Treowen, in the Marches of Wales, Efq. = Margaret, daughter of Morgan Kemeys, Efq.; ch: John (m. Anne Morgan) ap Thomas
- John ap Thomas of Treowen, in the Marches of Wales, Efq. = Ann, daughter of David ap Gwillim Morgan of Arkfton, Efq.; ch: William (m. Conftance Morgan) John alias Jones
- William John alias Jones, of Treowen, Efq. married his firft wife in 1520, ftiled in deeds, between 1570 and 1600, lord of the manors, Henrie, Obeth Caftle, Arnold, Llanarth, and Kevendugloid = Conftance, daugher of Thomas Morgan, of Machen and fifter of Rowland Morgan- firft wife; ch: (Pg.159 John (m. Anne Doddington) ; = Ann, daughter of Sir Walter Hawley, of Suffex, Knight, fecond wife.; ch: (Pg.159 Philip Jones of London ; = Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Herbert of Penkelly, Efq. third wife.; ch: (Pg.159 Blanch (m. Rowland Morgan of Machen) Jones)
- John Jones of Treowen, Efq. fon and heir apparent in 1563; living 1605; died before 1609; = Ann, daughter of Giles Doddington of Somerfet, Efq. furvived her hufband, Will, dated in 1609.; ch: William (m. Jane Gwilliam) Jones
- William Jones of Trewowen and Lanarth Court, Efq.; = Jane, fole daughter and heir-apparent, 1599, of Moor Gwilliam of Monmouth, Efq.; ch: Sir Philip (m. Elizabeth Morgan) Jones
- Sir Philip Jones of Treowen, Knight, Lieutenant-Colonel of the troops raifed in Monmouthfhire, for King Charles the Firft: in the lift of compounders, publifhed in 1665, Sir Philip Jones of Treowen, Knight, and William his fon, are fet down at 1050l. This gentleman, his lady, and family were in Ragland Caftle, with the Marquis of Worcefter, when it furrendered to the Parliament forces. See Sanderfon;s Hiftory of Charles the Firft: ob. 1660.; = Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Edward Morgan of Lantarnam, Baronet; ch: William (m. Mary Anderton) Jones.
- William Jones of Lanarth Court and Treowen, Efq. died in 1667; = Mary, daughter to Chriftopher Anderton of Loftock co. Lancafter, by Althea, daughter of Sir Francis Smith; ch: Philip (m. Anne Baffet) Jones
- Philip Jones of Lanarth Court, and Treowen, Efq.; = Ann, daughter of Anthony Baffet of London, Efq.; ch: John (m. Florence Morgan) Jones
- John Jones of Lanarth Court, Treowen, and Penllwyn, Co. Monmouth, Efq.; = Florence, fifter and heir of Henry Morgan of Penllwyn, Efq. ob. Dec. 1765; ch: Philip (m. Catherine Weyborne), Edmund, John, William (m. Elizabeth Morgan) Jones
- William Jones of Clytha Houfe, Co. Monmouth, Efq. now living, and a Widower; = Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Morgan, of Tredegar, Knight of the Bath, by Lady Rachel Cavendifh; and fifter and heir of her brother William Morgan, Efq. ob. S.P.
- A history of the family of Morgan, from the year 1089 to present times ([1902?])
- VIII. LLEWELYN ap IVOR of Tredegar, Lord of St Clear, married Angharad, daughter of Sir Morgan ap Meredith, from the Welsh Lords of Caerleon, ap Griffith ap Meredith ap Rhys, who bore "Argent a lion rampant sable." Sir Morgan died 1332, when Angharad was aged 32. They had : 1. Morgan. 2. Ivor Hael, whence MORGAN OF GWERN-Y-CLEPPA. 3. Philip, whence LEWIS OF ST. PIERRE.
- IX. MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, married Maud, daugter of Rhun ap Grono ap Llwarch, Lord of Cibwr. He died before 1384. Issue: 1. Llewelyn. 2. Philip, whence MORGAN OF LANGSTONE. 3. John, father of Gwenllian, married David Goch ap David, 4. Christian, married Jevan ap Jenkin Kemeys. 5. Ann, married David Gwilim David of Rhiwperra. 6. Margaret, married Traherne ap Meyric of Merthyr. 7. A daughter, married Thomas ap Gwillim of Carnllwyd. 8. Elenor, married Grono ap Howel Bennet.
- X. LLEWELYN ap MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, living 1387, married Jenet daughter and heir of David-vychan ap David of Rhydodyn, 1384-87. Issue: 1. Jevan. 2. Christy, married Madoc ap Jevan of Gelligaer. 3. —— , married Roger ap Adam of St. Mellon's. 4. —— , married Madoc of Bassalleg. 5. —— , married Thomas Llewelyn. 6. Ann, married John ap Jenkin. 7. —— , married —— of Raglan. 8. —— , married —— of Builth.
- XI. JEVAN MORGAN, 1415-48, married Denise, or Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas ap Llewelyn-vychan of Lllangattog-on-Usk. Issue: 1. John. 2. David, 1442-48. 3. Jenkyn, 1454.
- XII. SIR JOHN MORGAN, Knight of the Sepulchre, 1448, steward of Gwentlloog ; married Jenet, daughter and co-heir of John ap David Mathew of Llandaff. Issue: 1. Morgan. 2. Thomas, whence MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR. 3. John, whence a BRANCH. 4. Lewis, 1491. 5. William Morgan, coroner, 1501, father or John of Newport, died 1541, father of William, 1541-1559. 6. Philip, 1491. 7. Elizabeth, married John Fiennes,
- Lord Clinton and Say. 8. Jane, married William David Powel. 9. Mary, married Thomas Llewelyn-vychan of Rhiwperra. 10. Isabella, married James Kemeys of Began, ob. 1591.
- XIII. SIR MORGAN JOHN, knighted 22 June, 1497. after Blackheath ; died in 1504; married Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Morgan of Pencoyd. Issue : 1. John. 2. Margaret.
- XIV. JOHN MORGAN ; will dated 4 April, 1513 ; died about 1513 ; married Lettice, daughter of Sir George Herbert of St. Julian's. Issue : 1. William, M. P. for county 1556-57, sheriff 1565 ; will dated 8 August, 1568 ; died 1569, s. p.; married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Bodenham. 2. John. 3. Joan, married Miles Mathew of Llandaff. By Felice, daughter of Thomas Richards : 4. John. 5. Nest, married John Henry Kemeys of Newport.
- XV. JOHN MORGAN of Newport, 1545. married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Edward Stradling. Issue: 1. Miles. 2. Elenor, married William Morgan.
- XVI. MILES MORGAN, sheriff 1574 ; will dated June. 1578 ; proved 1581, s. p.; married Catherine, daughter of Rowland Morgan of Machen, in 1571 ; widow of Thomas Mathew. She afterwards married Henry Jones of the Inner Temple. Miles was lost in America under Sir Humphrey Gilbert. His heir was his brother-in-law, Morgan of Machen.
- MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR.
- XIII. THOMAS, second son of Sir John Morgan, was of Machen; esquire of the body to Henry VII.; living 1538; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Vaughan of Porthaml. Issue: 1. Rowland. 2. Reynold, whence MORGAN OF LLANVEDW. 3. John, whence MORGAN OF BASSALLEG. 4. Edmond, whence MORGAN OF PENLLWYN-SARTH. 5. Margaret, married 1st John Kemeys, 2d William Edmunds. 6. Barbara, married Sir Henry Seymour. 7. Maud, married John ap Rosser. 8, Jane, married 1st William Gunter, 2d Richard ap Jenkin, 3d William Vaughan of Magor. 9. Constance, married William
- Jones of Treowen. 10. Mary, married 1st Edward Williams, 2d Richard Herbert. 11. Elizabtth, married Edward James.
- XIV. ROWLAND MORGAN of Machen, 1517-77, married Blanch, daughter of John Thomas of Llanarth. Settlement 11 Nov. 1517; sheriff 1557. Issue: 1. Thomas, 2. Henry, whence MORGAN OF ST. MELLON'S. 3. Catherine, married 1st Thomas Mathew, 2d Miles Morgan, 3d Henry Jones. 4. Ann, married Philip Morgan of Gwern-y-Cieppa. 5. Mary, married Thomas Lewis of Rhiwperra. 6. Elizabeth, married Edward Kemeys of Cefn Mably.
- XV. THOMAS MORGAN of Machen and Tredegar, and of the , Middle Temple, 1567-77; sheriff 1581 ; M. P. for county 1589; will 1603; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Bodenham. Issue: 1. Sir William. 2. Edward, 1586, married Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Thomas of Bertholley. 3. Sir John, died before 1610, married Florence, daughter and eventual heir of William Morgan of the Friars. They had William of the Friars, 1663, mayor of Newport, 1667, father of Lewis Morgan, died about 1690, father of Lewis, died 1729, who sold the Friars. He was father of: (a) Blanch, married Richard Greensward ; (b) Catherine, married Anthony Williams. 4. David Morgan, whence a BRANCH. 5. Blanch, married Edward Lewis of Van ; settlement 1585. 6. Catherine, married William Herbert of Coldbrook. 7. Elizabeth, married William Jones of Abergavenny. 8. Jane, married Rowland Morgan of Bassalleg. 9. Elizabeth, married William Blethyn of Dynham. 10. Ann. 11. Margaret, married Henry Williams of Mathern.
- MORGAN OF LLANRHYMNY.
- XV. 2. HENRY, second son of Rowland Morgan of Machen, married Catherine, daughter and heir of William Kemeys of Llanrhymny, living 1567. Issue: 1. Thomas. 2. Blanch, married William Herbert of Cogan Pill, ....
- MORGAN OF BASSALLEG.
- XXXVIII. 3. JOHN, third son of Thomas Morgan of Machen, was of Bassalleg, 1538-1568; married, 1st Ann, daughter of Lewis ap John of Baglan ; 2nd Maud, daughter of Richard Jenkins of Llanowen. Issue: 1. Rowland of Bassaleg, 1604-15; married, 1st Margaret, daughter of John Williams; 2d Catherine, daughter of Rhys Meyric. He had : (a) Rowland of St. Bride's, married Ann David, living 1614; (b) Thomas, 1615. 2. William of Peterston, married Lucy, . daughter of Edward Pritchard of Bonville, living 1571-1604. They had Rowland of Peterston, 1604; married --- . His widow married David Roberts of Bassaleg. 3. Thomas. 4. Edward, whence Morgan of Fairford. 5. Henry, officer of Customs at Cardiflf, 1585: married Mary, daughter and heir of William Robin. 6. Mary, married John William John of Bedwas. 7. Elizabeth, married John Lawrence. 8.
- Jane, married William Gwilim ap Howel Gwilim. 9. Catherine, married Walter Williams.
- a. Sir John Morgan of St. Clere and Tredegar
- m. Jonnet Mathew (dau of John Mathew of Llandaff)
- (1) Sir Morgan Morgan of Tredegar
- m. Margaret Morgan (dau of Sir Thomas Morgan of Langston @@ below
- (A) John Morgan of Tredegar (d after 04.04.1513)
- (i) William Morgan of Tredegar (dsp before 27.06.1569)
- m. Katherine Bodenham (dau of Thomas Bodenham of Roderwas)
- (A) John Morgan of Tredegar (d after 04.04.1513)
- (2) Thomas Morgan of Machem (5th son)
- m. Elizabeth Vaughan (dau of Roger Vaughan of Talgarth)
- (A) Rowland Morgan of Machem (a 1570)
- m. (by 11.1517) Blanch Thomas (dau of John Thomas of Treowen)
- (i) Thomas Morgan of Machem and Tredegar
- m. Elizabeth Bodenham (b 1543, dau of Roger Bodenham of Roderwas)
- (a) Sir William Morgan of Tredegar (d before 13.09.1653)
- m1. (1598) Elizabeth Wintour (dau of Sir William Wintour of Lidney)
- m2. Bridget Morgan (d before 1627, dau of Anthony Morgan of Hayford)
- (b) Katherine Morgan probably of this generation
- m. William Herbert of Colebrooke
- (c) Blanch Morgan probably of this generation
- m. Sir Edward Lewis of the Van
- (ii) Harry Morgan of Llanrumney ancestor of Morgans of Llanrumney
- (iii)+ 4 daughters
- (B) John Morgan ancestor of Morgans of Bassalegge
- (3) Elizabeth Morgan probably of this generation
- m. John Clinton, 7th Lord (d 04.06.1515)
- (4)+ other issue ( a 1491) - Philip, Lewis, William
- .... etc.
- From: Stirnet.com
ID: I0637 - Rowland Morgan (1517 Machem, Monmouth, England - 1577).
Parents: Thomas Morgan (b. c. 1482) and Elizabeth Vaughan b. c. 1486).
Spouse: Blanche Thomas b. c. 1512
Children of Rowland & Blanche (Thomas) Morgan:
- Thomas Morgan b: ABT. 1534 in Machem, Monmouth, England
- Amy Morgan b: ABT. 1534
- Ann Morgan b: ABT. 1534
- Catherine Morgan b: ABT. 1534
- Mary Morgan b: ABT. 1536
- Henry Morgan b: ABT. 1536
- Elizabeth Morgan b: ABT. 1538
Rowland Morgan (d 1577) 'Esquire to the body of King Henry VII m. Elizabeth Vaughan (royal lines)
The lineage from Thomas ap Morgan through Rodney Morgan, was sent to me by Norm Morgan. The information was taken from: St. Mellon's Parish, Glamorganshire, Wales. From the Bishop's Library, Cardiff, Wales.
Rowland Morgan, Lord of Castell-Arnallt's Timeline
Machen, Gwynilwg, Monmouthshire, Wales
Llandorf, Glamorganshire, Wales
Monmouthshire, Wales, United Kingdom
Llanhymny, Monmouthshire, Wales
Machen, Monmouthshire, Wales
Machen, Monmouthshire, England
Llanrhymni, Glamorganshire, Wales
Machen, Monmouthshire, England
Machen, Gwynilwg, Monmouthshire, Wales