Historical records matching Roy C. Ingersoll
About Roy C. Ingersoll
Roy Ingersoll became president of BorgWarner Inc. in 1950. In 1954, he became chairman of the board.
BorgWarner Inc. is a United States-based worldwide automotive industry components and parts supplier. It is primarily known for its powertrain products, which include manual and automatic transmissions and transmission components, such as electro-hydraulic control components, transmission control units, friction materials, and one-way clutches), turbochargers, engine valve timing system components, along with four-wheel drive system components.
To accommodate the expansion of Borg-Warner since 1928, Ingersoll established a system of group vice presidents, each responsible for several of the 30 divisions. Ingersoll also constructed a central research facility, which came to be known as the Roy C. Ingersoll Research Center, in Des Plaines, Illinois.
By 1953 more than half of the firm’s output was still in automotive parts. After the war this sector flourished. In 1948 Borg-Warner was contracted by Ford to produce half of its automatic transmissions. The corporation expanded production and factory space to meet the demand. Foreign carmakers, including Jaguar, wanted so many of the firm’s transmissions that Borg-Warner established a United Kingdom subsidiary. In 1958 Borg-Warner’s contract to manufacture Ford-O-Matic transmissions ended. Because of high U.S. labor costs, the firm also lost other customers such as Massey-Ferguson.
Although Roy Ingersoll stepped down as president in 1956, he remained chairman of the board until 1961. His son, Robert Ingersoll, served as president from 1956 to 1968, chief executive officer from 1958 to 1972, and chairman of the board between 1961 and 1972. Both Ingersolls realized that automakers would continue to make more of their own components as they became more fully integrated. Under the Ingersolls, Borg-Warner rushed to diversify, adding 26 new divisions during the 1950s. As a result of several acquisitions between 1955 and 1959, industrial equipment became a major business for the company. Central to this new endeavor was the 1955 purchase of the Byron Jackson Company, a producer of industrial tools and pumps. During the 1940s this firm had built the six massive pumps for the Grand Coulee Dam. Each pump moved 720,000 gallons of water per minute. In addition to its existing international subsidiaries in Canada and England, Borg-Warner expanded into Australia, Brazil, and Mexico.