Ruth Morely Gaither (Beard)
|Also Known As:||"Gaither"|
|Birthplace:||South River Hundred, Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland|
|Death:||Died in Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland|
|Place of Burial:||Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States|
Daughter of Richard Beard, Sr. and Rachel Beard
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Ruth Morely Gaither
Some are stating that she and Francis Hardesty had a daughter Rachel who married [-?-] Welch. This has not been confirmed as yet - but has been cropping up on trees found on Ancestry.com
Harry Wright Newman Anne Arundel Gentry (1933, Baltimore, Md.), pg. 56. 1st edditon "States Ruth Gaither was a grandmother and married Francis Hardisty 13 Jan. 1703, the widow of John Gaither according to the register of All Hallows Parish. At the time widow Gaither was the mother of nine children by her former husband."
Harry Wright Newman in his CLAIMED in his Anne Arundel Gentry (1933, Baltimore, Md.), pg. 355. "States John Gaither married Ruth Morley dau. of Joseph Morley." This was based on MORLEY's 1672 will in which he made Robert PROCTOR and John GATHER his executors and legatees. Newman CORRECTED this in his second edition (1970), as court records show Joseph MORLEY died with no heirs.
Another gives her as the daughter of Richard & Rachel Beard BUT There are also claims that Ruth's surname was BEARD, daughter of Richard BEARD. To date, none has been able to supply any records proving that
Richard's BEARD's daughter Ruth, and John GAITHER's wife Ruth are the same person.
Some have claimed that she is the daughter of Joseph Morley
Warfield, Founders of Anne Arundel & Howard Counties, Maryland. "2.Ruth MORLEY dau of Joseph b. abt 1655. Married 1st John GAITHER d. 1705,= held pt
Abington'. Married 2nd 1704 to Francis HARDESTY, died intestate= heirs viz:
- John GAITHER Jr (b1677),
- Ruth (b1679) m. John WARFIELD (of= Richard & Elinor BROWNE WARFIELD);
- Benjamin (b1681); Rachel (b1687) m.= Samuel WHITE;
- Mary (b1692);
- Rebecca (b1695);
- Susan (b11697)
= = = =
The Grubbs Family Entries: 50234 Updated: Wed Jul 17 11:27:19 2002 Contact: William Grubbs
Descendant Register, Generation No. 1 1. Richard BEARD died 1675 in Maryland. He married Rachel ROBBINS, daughter of Edward ROBBINS and Jane (BEARD). She was born Abt 1626 in England.
Children of Richard BEARD and Rachel ROBBINS are:
- 2 i. Richard BEARD.
- + 3 ii. Ruth BEARD died 1719.
- + 4 iii. Rachel BEARD. he married Thomas STIMPSON. He died 1688. She married (?) CLARK.
3. Ruth BEARD (Richard BEARD1) died 1719. She married Francis HARDISTY 13 Jan 1703/4. She married John GAITHER 1675, son of John GATHER and Mary WATERS. He was born Bef 1650 in Virginia, and died 1702. He was buried 12 Nov 1702 in All Hallow's Church, Anne Arundel Co., MD.
Children of Ruth BEARD and John GAITHER are:
- + 5 i. John GAITHER was born 15 Jan 1678 in Anne Arundel Co., MD, and died 1739. He married Elizabeth DUVALL 20 Aug 1719, daughter of John DUVALL and Elizabeth JONES. She was born 1687, and died Abt 1770. He married Jane BUCK 27 Aug 1699 in All Hallow's Church, Anne Arundel Co., MD, daughter of John BUCK and Catherine (BUCK). She died 11 Mar 1719 in Anne Arundel Co., MD.
- + 6 ii. Ruth GAITHER was born 8 Sep 1679 in Anne Arundel Co., MD. She married John WARFIELD 16 Feb 1696/97 in All Hallow's Church, Anne Arundel Co., MD, son of Richard WARFIELD and Eleanor BROWNE. He was born 1674, and died Abt 1718. She married Daniel CARTER 17 Jun 1719.
- + 7 iii. Benjamin GAITHER was born 20 Feb 1682 in Maryland, and died 1741. He married Sarah BURGESS 8 Sep 1709, daughter of Edward BURGESS and Sarah CHEW. She was born Abt 1691, and died 14 Nov 1769.
- 8 iv. Rachel GAITHER was born 19 Apr 1687. She married Samuel WHITE 18 Apr 1706.
- + 9 v. Edward GAITHER was born 28 Jun 1689 in Abingdon, Anne Arundel Co., MD, and died 1741. He married Margaret SELLMAN 19 Sep 1734, daughter of John SELLMAN. She died 1762. He married Mary DUVALL 21 Feb 1709, daughter of John DUVALL and Elizabeth JONES. She was born Abt 1692, and died 25 Sep 1710. He married Rachel (GAITHER) Bef 1730. She died Abt 1730.
- 10 vi. Mary GAITHER was born 13 Apr 1692.
- 11 vii. Rebecca GAITHER was born 24 May 1695. She married Richard STIMSON.
- 12 viii. Susan GAITHER was born 1697, and died 1717.
Richard Beard1 M, #183981, d. between 1673 and 1681
Last Edited=6 Feb 2006
Richard Beard married Rachel Robins, daughter of Colonel Edward Robins and Jane Cornish, before 1650.1 He died between 1673 and 1681.1
Child of Richard Beard and Rachel Robins 1.Ruth Beard+1 d. 1719 Citations 1.[S1122] Peerage News, online http://peeragenews.blogspot.co.nz/. Hereinafter cited as Peerage News
Ruth Beard1 F, #183980, d. 1719
Last Edited=6 Feb 2006
Ruth Beard was the daughter of Richard Beard and Rachel Robins.1 She died in 1719.1
Child of Ruth Beard and John Gaither
- 1.John Gaither+1 b. 15 Jan 1668, d. 4 May 1739
Citations 1.[S1122] Peerage News, online http://peeragenews.blogspot.co.nz/. Hereinafter cited as Peerage News.
JOHN GATER had one known child. It is unknown which wife was the mother, but it should be noted that his son named a daughter Mary, as did at least four of his children. The name Joan was not used among his known children or grandchildren. John GATER had child: 1. John GAITHER b. by 1646 VA;9 bur. 12 Nov. 1702 All Hallow's Parish,
Anne Arundel Co., MD;11 m. Ruth -?-. Claims that she was a daughter of Joseph MORLEY are in error. This appeared in print with Harry Wright Newman's 1st Edition (1933) of "Anne Arundel Gentry," based on MORLEY's 1672 will in which he made Robert PROCTOR and John GATHER his executors and legatees.21 Newman corrected this in his second edition (1970), as court records show Joseph MORLEY died with no heirs.10
'''There are also claims that Ruth's surname was BEARD, daughter of Richard BEARD. The evidence would indicate that she wasn't. Richard Beard wrote his will in Anne Arundel County on 24 July 1675, which was proved on 10 August 1681. To his daughter Ruth, and "her sons" he left part of the tract "Timber Neck."12 In addition to the fact that John Gaither and wife Ruth were not married yet and had no sons, no part of "Timber Neck" was ever possessed by the Gaither family.''' John Wheeler of Anne Arundel County wrote his will on 21 November 1684 which was proved on 13 December of the same year. In addition to other tracts, his son John was to have 100 acres of "Timber Neck." In the event that his son John died without issue, then the lands were to go to Richard Beard, the eldest son of "my loving friend Mr. Richard Beard" and his heirs, but if Richard Beard the younger died without lawful issue then to go to Matthew Beard, the other son "my loving friend Mr. Richard Beard" His wife was named Christian.93
The implication is that John Wheeler first married Ruth Beard, and Christian was a second wife. That Richard and Matthew, sons of Richard Beard [Jr.], [Ruth's brother] were the residuary heirs, it seems his intent was to convey the land back to the Beard family in case his son John Wheeler died with no heirs.
The son John Wheeler made a nuncupative will on 2 January 1687 which was proved in Anne Arundel County on 15 June 1688. He left his entire estate to his mother [not named].94
On 27 June 1688 the verbal will of John Wheeler of Anne Arundel County was exhibited. Christian Wheeler had been sworn as administratrix on 15 June, and the administration bond of Wm. Bateman and Christian his wife for the said John Wheeler had Walter Phelps and John Gray as security.95
That record would show that John Wheeler, Sr.'s widow Christian remarried to William Bateman. The Maryland Legilature passed an act in 1715 for defects in the tract "Timber Neck" sold by Matthew Beard to Stephen Wright, and from him to Samuel Chambers.96
After the death of John GAITHER, his widow Ruth secondly married Francis HARDESTY on 13 Jan. 1703 [1703/4].11 Francis HARDESTY and Ruth had child: Francis HARDESTY born 27 Feb. 1707 [1707/8].11 Ruth was buried 5 Oct. 1719 at All Hallow's Parish, Anne Arundel County.11
John GAITHER and wife Ruth had children born in All Hallow's Parish,
Anne Arundel Co., MD
1. John GAITHER b. 15 Jan. 1677/8;11 m.1. Jane BUCK 21 Aug. 1701;11
m.2. Elizabeth (DUVALL)13 WARFIELD 20 Aug. 1719;11 died between 4 May and 20 June 1739 Anne Arundel Co., MD14
2. Ruth GAITHER b. 8 Sep. 1679;11 m.1. John WARFIELD 16 Feb. 1696;11
m.2. Daniel CARTER 17 June 1719;11 living 172815
3. Benjamin GAITHER b. 20 Feb. 1681/2;11 m. Sarah BURGESS 8 Sep. 1709;11
d. between 26 Mar. and 31 Aug. 1741 Anne Arundel Co., MD when he wrote his will.16
4. Rachel GAITHER b. 19 Apr. 1687;11 m. Samuel WHITE 18 Apr. 1706;11
5. Edward GAITHER b. 28 Sep. 1689;11 m.1. Mary DUVALL 21 Feb. 1709;11
m.2. Rachel;11 m.3. Margaret (SELLMAN)11 WILLIAMS17; died between 2 Jan. and 10 Apr. 1741 Anne Arundel Co, MD17
6. Mary GAITHER b. 13 Apr. 1692;11 m.1. Joseph WHITE 9 Feb. 170911
m.2. Edward NICHOLS19; living 173419
7. Rebecca GAITHER b. 24 May 1695;11 m. Richard SIMPSON20/STIMSON18;
8. Susannah b. 22 July 169711
Ruth was born c1659. This places her at age 18 yrs old when she had her first child with John Gaither and 48 yrs old when she had her last child with Francis Hardesty.
Excerpt from "Gaither Family Genealogy of VA to MD to NC" by F Z Saunders: "Claims that Ruth is a daughter of Joseph MORLEY is in error. This appeared in print with Harry Wright Newman's 1st Edition (dated 1933) of "Anne Arundel Gentry," based on Morley's 1672 will in which he made Robert Proctor and John Gaither his executors and legatees.
As court records show Joseph Morley died with no heirs, Harry Wright Newman corrected his error in his second edition published in 1970.
There are also claims that Ruth's surname was BEARD, daughter of Richard Beard. To date, no one has been able to supply any records proving that Richard's Beard's daughter Ruth and John Gaither's wife Ruth are the same person."
Ruth married John Gaither about 1676. The mystery of her maiden name might be solved with a more detailed marriage record. Her birth year in the record below appears to be inaccurate as she would have been 53 yrs old when she gave birth to her last child. Not impossible, but unlikely.
US & International Marriage Records 1560-1900: Name: Ruth Gender: Female Birth Place: MD Birth Year: 1654 Spouse Name: John Gaither Spouse Birth Place: VA Spouse Birth Year: 1646 Marriage Year: 1676 Marriage State: MD Number Pages: 7
The first child born to John & Ruth was named John and christened on 15 Jan 1677 at All Hallow's Parish Church in Anne Arundel Co MD.
From known All Hallow's Parish Church records & marriage records, the following list of children born to Ruth & John has been determined: 1) John Gaither IV (1677-1739), m1: Jane Buck, m2: Widow Elizabeth (DuVall) Warfield. 2) Ruth Gaither (1679-aft 1728), m1: John Warfield, m2: Daniel Carter. 3) Benjamin Gaither (1681-bef 1741), m: Sarah Chew Burgess. 4) Rachel Gaither (1687-aft 1742), m: Samuel White. 5) Edward Gaither (1689-bef 1741), m1: Mary DuVall, m2: Rachel Jacob, m3: Widow Margaret (Sellman) Williams. 6) Mary Gaither (1692-aft 1734), m1: Joseph White, m2: Edward Nichols. 7) Rebecca Gaither (1695-aft 1742), m: Richard Simpson. 8) Susannah "Susan" Gaither (1697-1717), never married.
First husband John died and was buried on 12 Nov 1702 at All Hallow's Parish Churchyard in Anne Arundel Co MD. Ruth next married Francis Hardesty on 13 Jan 1703 in Anne Arundel Co MD, a man at least 10 years her senior. Ruth and Francis had one child, Francis Hardesty Jr, born 27 Feb 1707, who was to marry Alice Brown, daughter of Mark & Susannah (Ijams) Brown.
Ruth was buried on 5 Oct 1719 at All Hallow's Parish Churchyard in Anne Arundel Co MD.
Many thanks to Pamela for sponsoring Ruth's memorial.
Ruth Morely Gaither's Timeline
South River Hundred, Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland
February 15, 1677
Abington, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland
September 6, 1679
Anne Arundel, Maryland, United States
February 20, 1681
South River, Ann Arundel, Md
April 19, 1687
Anne Arundel, Maryland, USA
September 28, 1689
Abington, Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland
April 13, 1692
All Hallows' Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland, USA
May 24, 1695
Gaithers Chance, Anne Arundel, Maryland, USA
July 22, 1697
Gaithers Chance, Anne Arundel, Maryland, USA