Samuel Allen, III
|Also Known As:||"of Bridgewater"|
|Birthplace:||Bridgewater, Plymouth , Massachusetts|
|Death:||Died in Bridgewater, Plymouth , Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Old Graveyard, East Bridgewater,Massachusetts, USA|
Son of Samuel Allen, of Bridgewater and Sarah Allen
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Samuel Allen, III
About Samuel Allen, III
"SAMUEL 5 ALLEN (SAMUEL 4, SAMUEL 3, GEORGE 2, RALPH 1) was born December 04, 1660 in Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA, and died 1736 in Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA. He married (1) Rebecca Cary on December 02, 1685, in Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA, daughter of John Cary and Elizabeth Godfrey. He married (2) 1700 to Mary. He married (3) to Jane Vining, widow of Jacob Turner.
Re: Mary. Cutter says Mary Alden, daughter of Joseph Alden and Mary Simmons. (1). Torrey, who is more reliable, indicates she could have been a Pratt. She is not acknowledged by the Mayflower Society or Alden Kindred as an Alden, and more recent Wheeler family research suggests she was the daughter of Matthew Pratt.
- Samuel was married on the same day that his sister Mehitable Allen married Isaac Alden.
- Was engaged in many Indian Battles and while on a March to join Captain Church (with his father) with twenty of his neighbors took seventeen prisoners without a single casualty.
- From the Note of Bill Erickson: In 1721 a meeting-house had been begun on land given by Samuel Allen, Jr., apparently in anticipation of the legal organization of the precinct in 1723. (Benjamin W. Harris, The Bridgewater Book (Published by George H. Ellis, Boston, Ma., 1899))
- Deed: Old Burying Ground, East Bridgewater, Ma. (Source: William Latham, Epitaphs in Old Bridgewater, Massachusetts, (1882 (Reprinted by Heritage Books, Inc. 1986)), Page 185, When he gave this land is uncertain; but was probably the first land used for a public burying-ground in East Bridgewater. The one hundred rods is supposed to be the high ground in the southwest part of this grave yard, and is considered the oldest part of the yard.)
- Residence: Abt. 1750, East Bridgewater, MA (Source: William Latham, Epitaphs in Old Bridgewater, Massachusetts, (1882 (Reprinted by Heritage Books, Inc. 1986)), Page 184, ..Lived in front of Thomas Rogers' house... The whole of which homestead was bounded northeasterly by the road, there, being about seventy rods wide; and southwesterly by Matfield river, or meadow on that river.)
- Will: September 01, 1736, Recorded August 6, 1750 (Source: Plymouth County Probate Records, Docket 325, Book 12, Page 97, Timothy Allen and Seth Allen Executors.)
- "History of North Bridgewater, Family Register, The Alden Family", pgs. 443-446.
The Samuel Allen Families in the Bridgewater, Massachusetts, Vital Records, 1660-1710 1 Compiled by John Barrett robb; published 25Mar2014
¤ = born, + = married, × = died
4Dec1660 ¤ Samuel, to Samuel Sr
1Mar1662/3 ¤ Essiel (dau), to Samuel Sr.
20Jan1664 ¤ Mehetable (dau), to Samuel Sr. “in Duxborugh”
14Apr1667 ¤ Sarah, to Samuel Sr.
12May1669 ¤ Bethiah (dau), to Samuel Sr.
10Feb167[2#a] ¤ Nathaniel, to Samuel Sr.
14Oct167[4#a] ¤ Ebenezer, to Samuel Sr.
21Apr1677 ¤ Josiah, to Samuel Sr.
8Feb1678 ¤ Elishah, to Samuel Sr.
5Jan1680 ¤ Nehemiah, to Samuel Sr.
2Dec1685 + Samuel Jr. & Rebecka [Cary#b]
18Oct1686 ¤ Samuell, to Samuell Jr. and Rebecka “first born”
11Apr1689 ¤ Ephraim, to Samuell Jr. and Rebecka
22Feb1691 ¤ Timothy, to Samuell Jr. and Rebecka
11Aug1693 ¤ Joseph, to Samuell Jr. and Rebecka
14Aug1693 x Joseph, of Samuell Jr. and Rebecka
18Dec1694 ¤ Mehetable, to Samuell Jr. and Rebecka
26Oct1697 ¤ ____ (son), to Samuell Jr. and Rebecka
26Oct1697 x ____ (son), to Samuell Jr. and Rebecka “still born”
29Oct1697 x Rebeckah, wife Samuel Jr.
13Jan170[0/]1 ¤ Joseph, to Samuel Jr. and Mary
22Sep1702 ¤ Benjamin, to Samuel Jr. and Mary
11Jun1704 ¤ Mary, to Samuel Jr. and Mary
19Mar1705/6 ¤ Rebecca, to Samuel Jr. and Mary
10Jun1708 ¤ Matthew, to Samuel Jr. and Mary
5Aug1710 ¤ Seth, to Samuel Jr. and Mary
SOURCE: Vital Records of Bridgewater, Massachusetts to the Year 1850 (Boston, 1916)
- a the source for the final year digit is a “copy” of the town records titled:
“Records of John Gary, The first town clerk of Bridgewater, Mass., from 1656 to 1681.”
- b the source for the wife's surname is “Marriages in the Town of Bridgewater previous to its Division”
in NEHGRegister 21(Jul1867):225
Info from http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Allen-1385
Samuel Allen, III's Timeline
December 4, 1660
Bridgewater, Plymouth , Massachusetts
West Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA, USA
February 22, 1691
Bridgewater, New Haven County, Connecticut Colony
August 11, 1693
December 18, 1694
October 26, 1697
January 13, 1701
Bridgewater, Plymouth County, Massachusetts