|Birthplace:||Stonington, New London, CT, USA|
|Death:||Died in Groton, New London, CT, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Packer, Burial Ground, Mystic, CT.|
Son of John Fish and Martha (Eland) Fish
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Samuel Fish
About Samuel Fish
Captain Samuel Fish, the second townsman (of Groton), was born in 1656 and died Feb. 27, 1733, in his 77th year. He was a captain in the French and Indian wars and was for many years prominent in the affairs of the town. He owned a large farm situated on both sides of the present New London road and in 1695 built the house now standing on the Chesebrough farm northwest from the Lower Mystic Cemetery. He was a member of the First Congregational Church in Stonington and the names of his children are found recorded there.
GROTON, CONN., 1705-1905, by Charles R. Stark, Stonington, CT, 1922, p. 78
Note: 'American Family Antiquity', Albert Welles, President of American College for Genealogical Registry and Heraldry, New York, 1881, Vol. 3, Pg. 141. 'The Fish Family in England and America', Lester Warren Fish, Tuttle Publishing Co., Rutland, VT, 1948 CAPT. SAMUEL4 FISH, ESQ. (John3, Alice2, John1), youngest son of (73) John and Mary (Ireland) Fish, was b. 1656. His father appeared at Mystic and Groton, Conn., in 1655, so presumably he was b. at Mystic (others say New London). He was bapt. at Stonington, Conn., in 1680. His estate, inherited from his father, John3, was situated between the Mystic River and the northcastern slope of Fort Hill. Near the center of his lands was Pequot Hill, on the northeastern slope of which, between the present highway that runs parallel with it and the river, he erected his house. The old cellar, in the west end of the field belonging to the late Russell Fish, Esq., may still be traced (1872) by a depression in the earth. He was a Capt. in the French and Indian War (1676). He was admitted to the first church at Stonington Apr. 18, 1689. His name appears in patent of New London in 1704, the year prior to the incorporation of Groton. He was the second selectman at Groton on its organization and was reclected to this position for many years. He m., about 1682/83, Sarah Starke, who was b. 1660, dau. of Aaron Starke, Sr. She d. Dec. 11, 1722, and he m. (2) Dorothy (Wheeler) Smith. He d. Feb. 27, 1733. He was a Representative to the Gen. Court of Connecticut in 1706-07-08-12, a man of dignity and influence. He lies buried in the old Packer Burying Ground at Groton. Children: +1497 Samuel6, b. 1682 or 1684; d. Jan. 20, 1731; m. Elizabeth Williams. 1498 John, b. about 1686; d. Mar. 29, 1704/05. +1499 Moses, b. about 1688; d. Jan. 24, 1773, age 85; m. Martha Williams. 1500 Abigail, b. 1690; d. June 17, 1784, age 94; m. Capt. Daniel Eldridge; m. (2) Dea. Daniel Denison. +1501 Aaron, b. about 1693; m. Irene Sprague, of Lebanon, Conn. +1502 Nathan, bapt. Aug. 19, 1699; d. July 13, 1732; m. Abigail Havens; m. (2) Mary Burrows. 1503 Sarah, b. about 1702; d. Dec. 20, 1733; m. Rev. Hezekiah Lord of Preston, Conn. '
Capt. Samuel FISH, son of John FISH and his wife Martha IRELAND/ELAND was a captain in the French and Indian War(1676). He was admitted to the first church at Stonington, CT on Apr. 18, 1689. His name appears in patent of New London in 1704, the year prior to the incorporation of Groton CT. He was the second selectman at Groton, CT on its organization and was reelected to this position for many years.
HISTORY OF NEW LONDON COUNTY
D. Hamilton Hurd
J. W. Lewis & Co., Philadelphia
1882 Copyright. All rights reserved.
VOLUNTOWN lies in the extreme northeastern part of the county, and is
bounded as follows: on the north by Windham County, on the east by the
State of Rhode Island, on the south by North Stonington, and in the west
by Griswold. The surface of the town is uneven, but the soil is generally
The Volunteers' Grant. - The greater part of the tract embraced within the
bounds of the present town of Voluntown was granted in 1700 to the
volunteers in the Narragansett war, from which circumstances the town
derived its name. From the organization of the colony it had been
customary to make grants to officers and soldiers who had distinguished
themselves in the service of their country. Capt. Mason and others
engaged in the Pequot war were granted lands which simulated those who
had performed such significant feats in the Narragansett war to ask for a
grant of a town in acknowledgment of their services. The petition to the
General Court for the grant was presented in 1696 by Lieut. Thomas
Leffingwell, of Norwich, and Sgt. John Frink, of Stonington, "that they
with the rest of the English volunteers in former wars might have a
plantation granted to them." The petition was formally received, and a
tract six miles square was granted, "to be taken up out of some of the
A committee "of discovery" was at once sent out in search of suitable
land for a plantation, but found their choice was limited, as most of the
conquered land had already been appropriated by Major Fitch, the
Winthrops, and others. The committee reported that the only available
land remaining within the Connecticut limits was lying a short distance
east of Norwich, bordering on Rhode Island. A committee consisting of
Capt. Samuel Mason, Mr. John Gallup, and Lieut. James Avery was
appointed to view the said tract and report whether it "would
accommodate a body of people for comfortable subsistence in a
plantation way." After a deliberation of three years the committee
reported favorably, and in October, 1700, Lieut. Leffingwell, Richard
Bushnell, Isaac Wheeler, Caleb Fobes, Samuel Bliss, Joseph Morgan, and
Manasseh Minor moved that the grant be confirmed. The original
bounds of the grant were nearly identical with those of the present
township, except it extended on the east to Pawcatuck River.
Voluntown was a barren tract of but little value, and after the
Narrangansett it was claimed by the Mohegans. The Quinnebaug
sachem Massashowitt also laid claim to it.
The first meeting of the proprietors or grantees was held at Stonington,
July 1, 1701, to make arrangements for survey and appropriation.
Richard Bushnell was chosen clerk of the company, and S. Leffingwell,
James Avery, John Frink, and Richard Smith were appointed a committee
"to pass all those that offer themselves as volunteers."
A number of years, however, passes before the division was completed,
as the territory was still in dispute, and it was not until 1705 that the
Mohegnas' claim was adjusted. In that year, the town was formally
surveyed and the bounds established.
But a narrow strip of land was accorded to the Mohegans under this
survey, but during the same summer a considerable portion of the town
was taken by Rhode Island. So greatly did it damage the grant "that they
feared their intended purpose of settling a plantation so accommodable
for a Christian society as the desired was frustrated."
At a meeting of the volunteers, held Nov. 14, 1705, it was decided to
have the town resurveyed, computed, and laid out in as many lots as there
was volunteers, and to number them, etc.
April 17, 1706, a meeting was held, when it was voted "to go on and
draw lots upon that part of the land laid out," and the grant was made to
one hundred and sixty persons who had enrolled their names as desiring
to share the benefit of the grant. These were residents of New London,
Norwich, Stonington, Windham, Plainfield, and other neighboring towns.
The list embraced officers, soldiers, ministers, chaplains, and others who
had served the colony in a civil capacity during the war.
Notwithstanding the survey of the town had been made and the various
lots designated, very little progress was made for several years in its
settlement. Its soil was poor and its location remote and inconvenient.
"A pair of come four year old steers" was once given in exchange for
The first settler in what is now Voluntown was doubtless Mr. Samuel
Fish. Other pioneers were John Gallup, John and Francis Smith, Robert
Parke, Thomas Reynolds, Thomas Coles, John Campbell, John Safford,
Obadiah Rhodes, and Samuel Whaley.
Voluntown on the Family Google Map: http://tinyurl.com/c3bf65
SAMUEL FISH, was born abt 1656 in Stonington, Connecticut. He married Sarah Starke in 1682, in Groton, New London, Connecticut. Samuel Fish died on 27 February 1732 in the Groton, New London, Connecticut. Sarah Starke was the daughter of Aaron Stark, Sr. and Sarah ______ . She was born in 1660 in New London, New London, Connecticut. She was baptized on 13 March 1686 in Stonington, New London, Connecticut. She died on 11 December 1722 in Mystic, New London, Connecticut. Samuel Fish and Sarah Starke had 7 children.
1. Samuel Fish, b. 1684 in Groton, New London, Connecticut. He died and was buried in the Packer Cemetery, Fort Hill, Groton, Connecticut in 1731.
2. John Fish, b. 1686 in Groton, New London, Connecticut. He died on 29 March 1704 in Groton, New London, Connecticut.
3. Moses Fish, b. 24 June 1688 in Groton, New London, Connecticut. He married Martha Williams on 5 November 1713 in Groton, New London, Connecticut. He died on 24 January 1775 in Groton, New London, Connecticut.
4. Abigail Fish, b. 1691. She married Daniel Eldredge on 26 June 1711.
5. Aaron Fish, b. 1693 in Groton, New London, Connecticut. He married Irene Sprague on 9 July 1723 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts. He died in 1747.
6. Nathan Fish, b. 19 August 1699 in Groton, New London, Connecticut. He married Abigail Havens in 1726 in Groton, New London, Connecticut. He died on 13 July 1732 in Groton, New London, Connecticut.
7. Sarah Fish, b. 2 August 1702 in Groton, New London, Connecticut. She married Hezekiah Lord on 9 February 1724 in Preston, New London, Connecticut. She died on 20 December 1733 in Groton, New London, Connecticut.
Samuel Fish's Timeline
Stonington, New London, CT, USA
March 13, 1680
First Congregational Church, Stonington, New London County, CT, USA
Stonington, New London, CT
Groton, New London County, CT, USA
Groton, New London, Conn., United States
June 24, 1688
Groton, New London, CT, USA
July 17, 1690
Groton, New London, CT
Groton, New London, CT, USA