|Birthplace:||King and Queen County, Virginia, United States|
|Death:||Died in Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, United States|
Son of Owen Gwathmey, Jr. and Ann Rogers Gwathmey
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Samuel Gwathmey
About Samuel Gwathmey
! (1) "A History of Shenandoah County, Virginia," by John W. Wayland (Shenandoah Pub. House, Strasburg, VA, 1976) p.587.
(2) Carolyn Tayloe Davidson Carey, Greenwood Village, CO. Cites: (a) "Filson Quarterly," Oct 1951, p.317. (b) Caroline G. Jones, "Canterbury," Walkerton, VA. (c) "Middletown's Days and Deeds - Founders, Settlers, Old Families," by Edith L. Wood. (d) "Genealogies of Kentucky Families from the Filson Club Quarterly," by J. F. Dorman, p.394.
(3) "Pioneer Ohio Newspapers 1793-1810," by Karen Mauer Green (The Frontier Press, Galveston, TX 1986) p.121,244. Cites: (a) "The Western Spy and Hamilton Gazette," Cincinnati, OH, Wed., 3 Jul 1805. (b) "Scioto Gazette and Chillicothe Advertiser," Chillicothe, OH, Thur., 27 Mar 1806.
(4) "Digested Summary and Alphabetical List of Private Claims Which Have Been Presented to the House of Representatives from the First to the Thirty-First Congress," comp. by House of Representatives (Wm. M. Belt, Washington, 1853). Cites: (a) 20th Congress, 1st session, p.168.
(5) "American Monthly Magazine," Vol. 36, No. 6 (DAR, 1910) p.764. FHL #973.B2dar. Cites: (a) "Courier-Journal," Louisville, KY. (b) Mrs. Wm. A. Robinson of Louisville, KY.
! Birth: (1,2,5) s/o Owen GWATHMEY/Ann CLARK. (2) 22 Jan 1778.
Marriage to Mary Ann BOOTH: (1,5) (2) 17 Dec 1807.
Death: (2) 1850. (2d) At the home of his daughter, Mrs. TYLER.
(2c) Instrumental in construction of a bridge across the Ohio River at the falls.
(2d) 1801-1810: Clerk of Clark Co., IN.
(1) 1802: A trustee of and laid out the town of Jeffersonville, IN. (2d) Laid out the town of Jeffersonville, IN.
(1) 1802: Clerk and treasurer of Clark Co., Indiana Territory. (2d) Treasurer of Clark Co., IN.
(3a) 1805, 3 Jul: The "The Western Spy and Hamilton Gazette" of Cincinnati reported that Samuel GWATHMEY of Clarke had been appointed a member of the legislative Council of Indiana Territory with Benjamin CHAMBERS of Dearborn, John Rice JONES of Knox, Pierre MENARD of Randolph and John HAY of St. Clair Co. (1,2d) Member of the first council of Indiana Territory. (2d) 1805-1808.
(3b) 1806, 27 Mar: Notes in a Chillicothe, OH newspaper about the Ohio Canal Co. mentions Samuel GWATHMEY.
(1,2d) First register of the U.S. Land Office, Jeffersonville, IN. (2d) Served until 1829.
(2d) 1835-1847: President of the Mechanics and Savings Bank of Louisville. (1) Banker of Louisville, KY.
(4a) c.1828: Samuel GWATHMEY filed a claim with the 20th Congress, 1st session, for sureties of Charles M. TAYLOR.
(1) Had 5 children.