About Samuel Kanitz (1789-1866)
Likely the Samuel Kanitz born in 1790 to Selig and Bilka, per "Index to Nikolsburg Births" (from Jewish Museum in Prague) : http://collections.jewishmuseum.cz/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/172903, Image #20.
BILKA may be Bele, wife of Selig, who died in 1844 in Nikolsburg, age 82 (b. 1762), per Index to Nikolsburg Deaths (from Jewish Museum in Prague): http://collections.jewishmuseum.cz/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/172907, Image #21.
The Index to Nikolsburg Births has several entries where the father is listed as "Samuel Kanitz" (not Samuel Löb Kanitz, whose name also appears on the page): http://collections.jewishmuseum.cz/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/172903, Image #19.
The Index to Nikolsburg Deaths has several entries where the father is listed as "Samuel Kanitz" (not Samuel Löb Kanitz, whose name also appears on the page): http://collections.jewishmuseum.cz/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/172907, Image #21.
Samuel Kanitz appears in Wer Einmal War, by Georg Gaugusch.
This Samuel Kanitz died in Vienna in 1866, per genteam.at in Jewish Burials in Währing [Cemetery], Vienna 1784-1879 (an extract from death records).
- Year 1866 Num. 151
- Kanitz, Samuel, privatagent aus Nikolsburg in Mähren.
- Agent, Witwer
- Date of Birth/Age 78 in Feb. 1866 [b. ~1789]
- Date of Death Feb. 25, 1866
- Cemetery Währing (Wien)
- Group 6902 Row 17 Tomb No 174
Later moved to Zentralfriedhof, Wien:
- Last Name Kanitz, First Name Samuel
- Place of Death exhumiert aus dem Währinger Friedhof 17/24
- Date of Burial 1866 Feb. 27 [originally]
- Cemetery ZF Tor 4 Group 22
Image of death record is from FamilySearch.org's Austria, Vienna, Jewish Registers of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1784-1911, Wien (alle Bezirke), Sterbebücher, Sterbebuch 1866-1870. At time of death, Samuel Kanitz 1789-1866 lived at Wien II, Negerlegasse 1 [Leopoldstadt]. The death was reported in Die Neuzeit, March 23, 1866, in "Vital Statistics from Vienna," page 141 of the publication.
- Relation to Samuel Löb Kanitz (1798 Mikulov - 2/17/1870 Mikulov) + "Cheile" Gütel Kanitz geb. Pisk is probably "cousin" since they were roughly contemporaries in Nikolsburg and thus less likely to have been brothers.
Samuel Kanitz & Samuel Löb Kanitz families Discussion.
Samuel Kanitz (1789-1866)'s Timeline
Mikulov (Nikolsburg), Moravia, Czech Republic
October 15, 1815
Mikulov, Břeclav District, South Moravian Region, Czech Republic
Birth location source:
September 13, 1824
Mikulov, South Moravia
February 25, 1866
Wien II (Leopoldstadt), at 78 years
February 27, 1866
Wien, (exhumiert aus dem Währinger Friedhof 17/24)