Matching family tree profiles for unknown "Samuel" Shattuck
About unknown "Samuel" Shattuck
unknown Shattuck was born between 1584 / 1597 in Dorsetshire or Somerset England and died about 1641 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Alternately; 1637 onboard ship en route to America). His parents are unknown. His name is sometimes given as Samuel or William or John; see notes.
- Damaris (1597- 28 Sep 1674) whose parents are not known; they are sometimes given as Sibley. Damaris was a Quaker; after Samuel's death she married 2nd Thomas Gardner (1591-1674), one of "Old Planters" who helped found Naumlceag (Salem), as his third wife.
Children of unknown Shattuck and Damaris include:
- 1. Samuel Shattuck, born Abt. 1616 in England; died June 06, 1689 in Nantucket, Nantucket Co., MA; married (1) Grace; died Unknown; married (2) Hannah; born 1624; died September 14, 1701.
Notes for Samuel Shattuck:
Samuel, a felt-maker in Salem. His will appointed his wife Hannah as executrix. Samuel was excommunicated, probably for becoming a Quaker. The Shattuck book lists contemporary writings on Quaker persecutions which mentioned Samuel's sufferings
- 2. Hannah Shattuck, born Abt. 1620; died Unknown in Nantucket, MA; married Thomas Gardner December 27, 1642; born 1618 in England; died 1682 in Salem, Essex Co., MA.
Notes for Thomas Gardner: THOMAS, Salem, merch. prob. eldest 8. of Thomas of the same, b. no doubt in Eng. rec. of the cb. 1639, freem. 2 June 1641, was a selectman, d. 1684. Hannah, prob. his w. is, by Felt, ins. among ch. mem. of 1649. Bapt. of his ch. were Mary, 2 Apr. 1643; Thomas, 25 May 1645, wh. d. 1695; Eliz. 22 Apr. 1649 ; Abigail, 20 Apr. 1651; Bethia, 26 Mar. 1654 ; Hannah, 24 Jan. 1658; and Jonathan, 12 Oct. 1662. Perhaps Mr. Farmer had, from Felt, names of sev. other ch. but some, I believe, were brs. and sis. of his.
- 3. Mary Shattuck, born Abt. 1625; died Unknown in Boston, MA; married Hams; died Unknown.
Notes for Mary Shattuck: Mary, married _____ Hams and lived in Boston.
- 4. William Shattuck, born May 01, 1628 in England; died Aft. 1709 in Shrewsbury, Monmouth Co., NJ; married Hannah Abt. 1652; born Abt. 1630; died Unknown.
Notes for William Shattuck: William SHATTUCK, occupation shoemaker immigrated to Boston c.1650, married Hannah c.1652-3 in Boston, admitted an inhabitant of Boston, 1656, became a Quaker, 1658, banished from MA after "failure to be instructed by whip and prison" [in Boston], moved to Rhode Island, moved to Shrewsbury, NJ. Patent holder before 1675, still alive Sept. 1693.WILLIAM, Boston, shoemak. adm. an inhab. 1652, by w. Hannah had Hannah, b. 8 July 1654; and Exercise, 12 Nov. 1656; bec. a Quaker, and aft. fail. to be instruct. by whip. and prison, was banish. and went to Shrewsbury, N.J. There his d. Hannah m. 6 Nov. 1674, Restore Lippincot, and had num. ch. ????
- 5. Sarah Shattuck, born Abt. 1631; died 1724 in Nantucket, MA; married Richard Gardner Abt. 1652 in Nantucket, MA; born 1621 in England; died March 23, 1687/88 in Nantucket, MA.
Notes for Richard Gardner:
RICHARD, Salem 1643, s. perhaps, of first Thomas, liv. there 1666, went next yr. to Nantucket. Bef. rem. he, by w. Sarah, prob. a. of Samuel Shattuck, had Joseph; Sarah; Richard, b. 23 Oct. 1653; Deborah, 12 Feb. 1658; Damaris, 21 Nov. 1662; and James, 19 May 1664; beside Miriam; Nathaniel, 16 Nov. 1669; Hope; and Love, 2 May 1672. Of the last d. I see no more; but Sarah m. Eleazer Folger; Deborah m. John Macy, and next Stephen Pease; Miriam m. John Worth;; and Hope m. John Coffin; and the f. d. 23 Jan. 1689. His wid. Sarah d. 1724, aged above 92 yrs.
- 6. Damaris Shattuck, born Abt. 1635 in England; died Abt. 1680 in Albemarle Co., VA; married Isaac Page July 30, 1653 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA.
Birth place seen as Assington, Suffolk, England without attribution.
- "Memorials of the Descendants of William Shattuck", Appendix Lemuel Shattuck, Boston, MA, 1855, p. 57
- "New England Marriages Prior to 1700" Clarence A. Torrey, Baltimore, MD, 1985, p. 664 "SHATTUCK, ? & Damaris ? (-1674), m/2 Thomas GARDNER; in Eng, b 1620; Salem"
- (Shattuck and associated family lines from a GEDCOM file posted to RootsWeb by Robert Wylie
unknown "Samuel" Shattuck's Timeline
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
August 21, 1999
September 14, 1999
October 28, 1999
January 5, 2000