Historical records matching Sarah Converse
About Sarah Converse
Douglas Richardson NEHGR 1999 153:89; NEHGR 141:131; GMB 459; NEHGR 146:130; The Essex Genealogist 16:228; She married at Great Burstead, 29 June 1614, as his first wife, EDWARD1 CONVERSE (or Combers), who was baptized at Navestock, Essex, 23 March 1588/9 and died at Woburn, Massachusetts, 10 August 1663
Sarah Parker (1592 - 1625) Born in Great Burstead, England on 1592 and died 1625 in England.
Parents:John Parker and his first unknown wife.
- Edward Converse 1603-1663
- Josiah Converse
- John Converse
- James Converse
- Sarah Converse
- Mary Converse
- Johnson, Edward Francis. Notes on the Family of Deacon Edward Convers. Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States. Woburn Records of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, 3:325.
- Johnson, Edward F. Woburn Records of Births, Deaths, and Marriages . (Woburn, Massachusetts: Andrews, Cutler & Co., 1890-1919), 2:39.
From Converse Genealogy
V11. Who was Edward's first wife?
Extracted marriage record from Great Burstead, Essex from the International Genealogical Index:
1614 Jun 29, Edward Convers and Sara(h) Parker
Since Edward's home in Stanford Rivers is approximately only 11 miles from Great Burstead. compared to the 73 miles (as the crow flies) from Wakerly to Great Burstead, it seems more likely that the above Edward and Sarah are THE Edward and Sarah that came to New England in 1630. It could also explain who John Parker was. He was mentioned in Edward's will as his "kinsman." If these assumptions are correct, then Edward would have been about 24 years of age, when he got married. It is unlikely that Edward was married prior to this. Which means that his marriage to the widow Joanna Sprague, after Sarah died in 1662, was only his second marriage - not his third as indicated in many genealogies.
V 111. Who were Edward's children? Based on the genealogical notices from the town records, used by Samuel Sewall, in his book, The History of Woburn, printed in 1868. The following were Edward's children:
- 1. Josiah, Deacon, born in England probably in 1618; died in Woburn, Feb. 3 1689/90.
- 2. James, Lieutenant, born in England probably in 1620; died in Woburn May 10 1715.
- 3. Mary, born in England in 1622. No death record
- 4. Samuel, Sergeant, baptized in Charlestown, MA. March 12 1637; died Feb. 20 1669.
It is possible that during the four years between the time they married and Josiah was born, or the period between Mary's birth and their journey to New England, that they could have had another child. Although, apparently there are no other birth records.
Sarah Converse's Timeline
Great Burstead, Essex, England, (Present UK)
Wakerly, Northhampton, England
October 30, 1618
Sheffield, Essex, England, (Present UK)
November 29, 1620
South Weald, Essex, England
September 4, 1622
June 13, 1625
South Weald, co.Essex
March 12, 1637
Charlestown (within present Boston), Suffolk County, Massachusetts Bay Colony, (Present USA)
November 10, 1998
November 6, 1999