|Birthplace:||Llandaff, Glamorgan, Wales, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, Colonial America|
|Place of Burial:||Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, United States|
Son of William Morgan, I; Elizabeth Morgan and Elizabeth Morgan
|Occupation:||JB 7th gr gfather. A founder of Springfield, Mass. Statue of him there. v. Linda|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Sgt. Miles Morgan
About Sgt. Miles Morgan
Morgan was born in Bristol, England in 1616, and traveled as an adventurer to Boston in 1636. He married a girl named Prudence who was a fellow passenger on his ship. Settling in the new plantation of Springfield on the Connecticut River, Miles Morgan built himself a fortified blockhouse, which became the fledging community’s fortress of safety when the settlement was burned during King Phillip’s War.
Eventually, young Springfield’s young hero went back to the mother country, where he died in Wales in 1699.
CHILDREN of Miles MORGAN and Prudence GILBERT:
- 1. JOSEPH b Mar 1640; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- md: Mar 1677; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- Tryphenia SMITH
- d: ; Brimfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- 2. MARY b: 14 Feb 1644; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- md: 1 Nov 1666; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- Edward PRYNGRYLAYS
- d: 2 Oct 1683; , , .
- 3. JONATHAN b: 16 Sep 1646; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- md: 15 Jan 1679; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- Sarah COOLEY
- d: 10 Apr 1714; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- 4. DAVID b: 21 SEP 1548; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- md: 16 Jan 1672; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- Mary CLARK
- d: 30 May 1731; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- 5. PELETIAH b: 5 May 1650; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- d: 1676; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- 6. ISAAC b: 12 May 1652; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- md: 12 Nov 1673; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- Abigail GARDNER
- d: 23 Nov 1706; Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut.
- 7. LYDIA b: 6 Apr 1654; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- md: 1677; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- John PIERCE
- d: 30 Jul 1737; , , .
- + 8. HANNAH b: 11 Apr 1656; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- md: 17 May 1682; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- Samuel TERRY
- d: 17 Jan 1696; Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut.
- 9. MERCY b: 18 May 1658; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
CHILDREN of Miles MORGAN and Elizabeth BLISS:
- 10. NATHANIEL b: 14 Jun 1671; Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut.
- md: 19 Jan 1691; Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
- Lydia BIRD
- d: 30 Aug 1752;
- Miles Morgan1
- M, #83538, b. circa 1615, d. 28 May 1699
- Father Sir William Morgan b. c 1560, d. 19 Jan 1629
- Mother Elizabeth Winter b. c 1562, d. b 1650
- Miles Morgan was born circa 1615 at Llandaff, Glamorganshire, Wales.1 He married Prudence Gilbert, daughter of Thomas Gilbert and Elizabeth Bennett, circa 1643 at Salem, Essex, MA.1 Miles Morgan died on 28 May 1699 at Springfield, Hampden, MA.1
- Family Prudence Gilbert b. c 1617, d. 14 Nov 1660
- Isaac Morgan+1 b. 12 Mar 1652, d. 23 Nov 1701
- 1.[S14] Unknown author, New England Marriages Prior to 1700, by Clarence Almon Torrey., p. 518.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2780.htm#i83538
- MORGAN, Miles [SERGEANT]
- b. 1616 Wales
- d. 28 MAY 1699 Springfield, Hampden, Mass.
- Marriage: 1643 Salem, Essex, Mass.
- Spouse: GILBERT, Prudence
- b. 1617 Beverly, Yorkshire, England
- d. 14 NOV 1660 Springfield, Hampden, Mass.
- MORGAN, Mary b. 14 DEC 1644
- MORGAN, Jonathan
- MORGAN, David
- MORGAN, Peletiah b. 17 MAY 1650
- MORGAN, Isaac
- MORGAN, Lydia
- MORGAN, Hannah
- MORGAN, Mercy b. 18 MAY 1658
- Marriage: 15 FEB 1669/70 Springfield, Hampden, Mass.
- Spouse:BLISS, Elizabeth
- MORGAN, Nathaniel
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_1.htm#70
- Genealogy of the Bliss family in America, from about the year 1550 to 1880 (1881, )
- THOMAS, of England, of Braintree, Mass., and afterwards of Hartford, Conn., was a son of the first Thomas Bliss, of England, and was born about the year 1580 or 1585. He married in England about 1612-15, to Margaret __,* and had ten children, of whom six were born previous to their removal to this country; these were name respectively, Ann, Mary, Thomas Nathaniel, Lawrence, and Samuel; and in this country were probably born Sarah, Elizabeth, Hannah and John. ......
- * .... Her will, dated in September (1683?) mentions her son John, son Lawrence, deceased, son Samuel, daughter Elizabeth (Morgan), deceased, daughter Mary Parsons (widow of Joseph), and daughter Sarah (Scott). ....
- The following are the names of the children of Thomas and Margaret Bliss, with their chronology as far as we have been able to ascertain:
- 16. ELIZABETH, b. at Boston Mount, about 1637, was m. February 15, 1669-70, as the second wife of Sergeant Miles Morgan (b. 1615 and d. May 28, 1699), who had eight children by a previous marriage. Elizabeth had only one child, named Nathaniel, b. June 14, 1671. She was thirty-two or three years of age at the time of her marriage, and had been engaged in marriage before, but her intended husband was killed by the Indians.
- Pierce genealogy : being the record of the posterity of Thomas Pierce, an early inhabitant of Charlestown, and afterwards Charlestown village (Woburn), in New England, with wills, inventories, biographical sketches, etc. (1882)
- A GENEALOGICAL DICTIONARY
- John, Springfield, m. 1677, Lydia, dau. of Miles Morgan, had Nathaniel, b. 1679; John, b. 1683; Jonathan; rev. to Enfield, there had Lydia, b. 1693, and he d. Sept., 1696, leaving the wf. and these ch.
- Morgan genealogy : A history of James Morgan, of New London, Conn., and his descendants; from 1607 to 1869 ... With an appendix containing the history of his brother, Miles Morgan, ....
- JAMES MORGAN, the common ancestor of a numerous family now scattered widely over nearly or quite, every state and territory of the United States, was born in Wales, in 1607, but in what precise locality our honest progenitor first saw the light is uncertain, though probably in Llandaff, Glamorgan Co. The family appears to have removed from Llandaff to Bristol, Eng. on the opposite side of Bristol Channel, a short time at least, perhaps a few years, prior to 1636. The name of his father is unknown, but there is some traditionary evidence that it was William.*
- That year, 1636, in the month of March, he and two younger brothers, John and Miles, sailed from Bristol and arrived at Boston, Mass. in April following.
- JOHN MORGAN, his next younger brother, who from tradition appears to have been a high churchman and to have exceedingly disliked the austerity of the Puritans, left Boston in disgust for more congenial society in Virginia, soon after their arrival. How far the Morgans of Virginia are descended from him I am unable to say.
- MILES MORGAN, the youngest brother, born in 1615, on his arrival at Boston, or soon after, joined a party of emigrants, mostly from Roxbury, of whom Col. Wm Pyncheon was at the head, and founded the settlement of Springfield, Mass.
- * See William, No. 46.
- He is said to have been under 21 years of age at the commencement of this settlement, and to have suppressed the fact of his minority in order to share in the drawing for house lots, which minors were not privileged to do. It is certain that he drew a house lot and afterwards built upon it ; and it was the homestead of himself during his life, and of his descendants for many years after. It was situated upon the south side of "Ferry Lane," and in 1845 was sold by the Brewer family to the Conn. River Railroad Co. ; their tracks now covering the original lot, and their repair shop standing upon the site of the old Morgan homestead.
- He married, about 1643, Prudence Gilbert, of Beverly, Mass., who was a fellow passenger with him in the voyage from England. Of this courtship and marriage, an interesting and curious account is preserved. He had 8 children by this marriage, 4 sons and 4 daughters ; and his wife, Prudence, dying 14 Nov. 1660, he next married Elizabeth Bliss, of Springfield, 15 Feb. 1670, dau. of Thomas, by whom he had 1 son only. His children by Prudence were, Mary, b. 14 Dec. 1644; Jonathan, 16 Sept. 1646; David, 23 July, 1648; Pelatiah, 17 May, 1650; Isaac, 17 March, 1652; Lydia, 8 Feb. 1654; Hannah, 11 Feb. 1656; Mercy, 18 May, 1658 ; and by 2d wife, Nathaniel, 14 June, 1671.
- This family of Miles Morgan* has numerous ....
- * See Appendix.
- JAMES MORGAN, the elder brother, and our lineal ancestor, may have settled first at Plymouth ....
- Wherever he settled at first, he is found in Roxbury, near Boston, before 1640. That year, Aug. 6, 1640, he married there, Margery Hill, of Roxbury. His eldest daughter, Hannah, was born there 18 May, 1642, and all his 5 other children, except perhaps the youngest, who d. in infancy, were also probably born there. He was made a freeman there 10 May, 1643. He is named as a resident there in the inventory of John Graves, 1646, and was a freeholder there as late as 1650, the same year that he removed to Pequot, (now N. London,) and had a houselot assigned him there.
- It has been heretofore supposed, by myself as well as others, that James Morgan was one of the party of emigrants called the "Cape Ann Company," who came ....
- A history of the family of Morgan, from the year 1089 to present times ([1902?])
- VIII. LLEWELYN ap IVOR of Tredegar, Lord of St Clear, married Angharad, daughter of Sir Morgan ap Meredith, from the Welsh Lords of Caerleon, ap Griffith ap Meredith ap Rhys, who bore "Argent a lion rampant sable." Sir Morgan died 1332, when Angharad was aged 32. They had : 1. Morgan. 2. Ivor Hael, whence MORGAN OF GWERN-Y-CLEPPA. 3. Philip, whence LEWIS OF ST. PIERRE.
- IX. MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, married Maud, daugter of Rhun ap Grono ap Llwarch, Lord of Cibwr. He died before 1384. Issue: 1. Llewelyn. 2. Philip, whence MORGAN OF LANGSTONE. 3. John, father of Gwenllian, married David Goch ap David, 4. Christian, married Jevan ap Jenkin Kemeys. 5. Ann, married David Gwilim David of Rhiwperra. 6. Margaret, married Traherne ap Meyric of Merthyr. 7. A daughter, married Thomas ap Gwillim of Carnllwyd. 8. Elenor, married Grono ap Howel Bennet.
- X. LLEWELYN ap MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, living 1387, married Jenet daughter and heir of David-vychan ap David of Rhydodyn, 1384-87. Issue: 1. Jevan. 2. Christy, married Madoc ap Jevan of Gelligaer. 3. —— , married Roger ap Adam of St. Mellon's. 4. —— , married Madoc of Bassalleg. 5. —— , married Thomas Llewelyn. 6. Ann, married John ap Jenkin. 7. —— , married —— of Raglan. 8. —— , married —— of Builth.
- XI. JEVAN MORGAN, 1415-48, married Denise, or Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas ap Llewelyn-vychan of Lllangattog-on-Usk. Issue: 1. John. 2. David, 1442-48. 3. Jenkyn, 1454.
- XII. SIR JOHN MORGAN, Knight of the Sepulchre, 1448, steward of Gwentlloog ; married Jenet, daughter and co-heir of John ap David Mathew of Llandaff. Issue: 1. Morgan. 2. Thomas, whence MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR. 3. John, whence a BRANCH. 4. Lewis, 1491. 5. William Morgan, coroner, 1501, father or John of Newport, died 1541, father of William, 1541-1559. 6. Philip, 1491. 7. Elizabeth, married John Fiennes,
- Lord Clinton and Say. 8. Jane, married William David Powel. 9. Mary, married Thomas Llewelyn-vychan of Rhiwperra. 10. Isabella, married James Kemeys of Began, ob. 1591.
- MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR.
- XIII. THOMAS, second son of Sir John Morgan, was of Machen; esquire of the body to Henry VII.; living 1538; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Vaughan of Porthaml. Issue: 1. Rowland. 2. Reynold, whence MORGAN OF LLANVEDW. 3. John, whence MORGAN OF BASSALLEG. 4. Edmond, whence MORGAN OF PENLLWYN-SARTH. 5. Margaret, married 1st John Kemeys, 2d William Edmunds. 6. Barbara, married Sir Henry Seymour. 7. Maud, married John ap Rosser. 8, Jane, married 1st William Gunter, 2d Richard ap Jenkin, 3d William Vaughan of Magor. 9. Constance, married William
- Jones of Treowen. 10. Mary, married 1st Edward Williams, 2d Richard Herbert. 11. Elizabeth, married Edward James.
- XIV. ROWLAND MORGAN of Machen, 1517-77, married Blanch, daughter of John Thomas of Llanarth. Settlement 11 Nov. 1517; sheriff 1557. Issue: 1. Thomas, 2. Henry, whence MORGAN OF ST. MELLON'S. 3. Catherine, married 1st Thomas Mathew, 2d Miles Morgan, 3d Henry Jones. 4. Ann, married Philip Morgan of Gwern-y-Cieppa. 5. Mary, married Thomas Lewis of Rhiwperra. 6. Elizabeth, married Edward Kemeys of Cefn Mably.
- XV. THOMAS MORGAN of Machen and Tredegar, and of the , Middle Temple, 1567-77; sheriff 1581 ; M. P. for county 1589; will 1603; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Bodenham. Issue: 1. Sir William. 2. Edward, 1586, married Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Thomas of Bertholley. 3. Sir John, died before 1610, married Florence, daughter and eventual heir of William Morgan of the Friars. They had William of the Friars, 1663, mayor of Newport, 1667, father of Lewis Morgan, died about 1690, father of Lewis, died 1729, who sold the Friars. He was father of: (a) Blanch, married Richard Greensward ; (b) Catherine, married Anthony Williams. 4. David Morgan, whence a BRANCH. 5. Blanch, married Edward Lewis of Van ; settlement 1585. 6. Catherine, married William Herbert of Coldbrook. 7. Elizabeth, married William Jones of Abergavenny. 8. Jane, married Rowland Morgan of Bassalleg. 9. Elizabeth, married William Blethyn of Dynham. 10. Ann. 11. Margaret, married Henry Williams of Mathern.
- XVI. SIR WILLIAM MORGAN of Tredegar, knighted 1633; M. P. for county 1623-25; will 1650, proved 1653; sheriff 1612; aet 93 at death ; he received Charles I. at Tredegar, 16 and 17 July, 1645 ; married 1st Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Winter of Lidney, 2d Bridget, daughter of Anthony Morgan of Heyford, county Northampton, widow of Anthony Morgan of Llanvihangel Crucorney. Issue by first wife: 1. Thomas. 2. Edward of Kilfengan ; will 4 April 1660, proved Feb. 1661 ; married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Charles James of Llandewi Rhydderch, had Elizabeth, daughter and
- heir, married Henry Chambre of Court Morgan. 3. William, whence MORGAN OF RHYMNY. 4. Rowland of Risca; will 19 Dec. 1660, proved Feb. 1661 ; married Honora --- , and had Colonel William Morgan; buried at Bassalleg, 27 Oct. 1679. 5. John, of the Temple in 1652 ; coel. 6. Mary, married George Lewis of St. Pierre. 7. Blanch, married John Carne of Ewenny. 8. Frances, married Charles Williams of Llangibby. 9. Mary, single; will 1687, 10. Elizabeth, married William Morgan of Dderw ; she died 1638, he died 1649. By Sir William's second wife : 11. Anthony of Kilfengan, s. p. His widow was alive in 1673. 12. Mary, married Peter Farmer of London, who died 1691. They had Margaret, daughter and heir, married John More, who sold Kilfengan 1707.
- BRANCH FROM MORGAN OF TREDEGAR.
- A. (See XVI. 10, ante p. 16.)
- ELIZABETH, daughter of Sir William of Tredegar; married William Morgan, merchant of Diveru; went to Bristol, England, 1616. Elizabeth died 1638. William died 1648; both buried in Bristol. (See Great Orphan Book and Book of Wills of Bristol.) Issue: Miles Morgan, born 1616, named perhaps after Miles Morgan, captain British Army, who perished with Sir Humphrey Gilbert, half brother of Sir Walter Raleigh, who sailed, 1576, under a patent "to occupy any heathen lands not actually possessed of any Christian prince or people." .....
- I. MILES MORGAN married Prudence Gilbert 1636. Issue: 1. Mary, born Dec. 14, 1644. 2. Jonathan, born Sept. 16, 1646. 3. David, born July 23, 1648. 4. Peletiah. born May 17, 1650: killed by the Indians 1675; died unmarried. 5. Isaac, born March 12, 1652. 6. Lydia, born Feb. 8, 1654. 7. Hannah, born Feb. 11, 1656. 8. Mercy, born May 18, 1658. PRUDENCE GILBERT MORGAN died Nov. 14. 1660. Miles married, Feb, 15. 1669 (2) ELIZABETH BLISS. By her he had issue : 1. Nathaniel, born June 14, 1671. MILES MORGAN died May 28. 1699. aged 84 years.
- II. JONATHAN, married, Sarah Cooley, Jan. 15, 1679; died 1780. Issue: 1. Sarah, born Dec. 3, 1690. 2. Jonathan, born Nov. 27. 1682. 3. Mary, born April 19, 1684. 4. Elizabeth, born July 27. 1693. 5. Rebecca, born Oct. 20, 1695.
- III. DAVID, married Mary Clark Jan. 16, 1672; did May 30, 1731. Issue: 1. Peletiah, born March, 1676, 2. David, born Feb. 18, 1679. 3. John, born Oct. 7, 1682. 4. Jonathan, born Sept, 1685. 5. Mary, born Dec. 24, 1686. 6. Benjamin, born May 2, 1695; married Mary Graves June 4, 1718. Issue: 1. Benjamin, born Nov. 26, 1719. 2. Stephen, born May 4, 1722. 3 Aaron, born Nov. 7, 1724. 4. Mary, born Aug. 4, 1727.
- IV. ISAAC, married Abigail Gardiner Nov. 12, 1673;
- died Oct. 3, 1740. Issue: 1. Prudence, born Nov. 12, 1674. 2. Elizabeth, born Aug. 27, 1677. 3. Jonathan, born Jan. 15, 1679. Benjamin (6 of III. above) m. (1) Mary Hornton; m. (2) Sarah Warner. Issue; 1. Ebenezer, b. June 12, 1738, m. Miriam Kilbourn, Feb., 1766. 2. Samuel, b. Feb. 2, 1740, m. Abigail Cooley, Nov., 1766. 3. Sarah, b. Nov. 18, 1742, m. TITUS MORGAN (see below, TITUS 2d, in II. line from NATHANIEL.) 4. Catharine, b. Dec. 31, 1744, m. (1) Moses Cooley; m. (2) James Melvin, Jan., 1779. 5. Choloe, b. Oct. 14, 1747, m. John Burt.
- V. NATHANIEL, only child of Miles by his second wife, Elizabeth Bliss, born June 14, 1671; married Hannah Bird June 19, 1691; died Aug 30, 1752. Issue: 1. Nathaniel, born Feb. 16, 1692. 2 Samuel, born 1694; died Dec., 1799. 3. Ebenezer, born 1696. 4 Hannah, born 1698. 5. Miles, born 1700. 6. Joseph, born Dec. 3, 1702; married Mary Stebbins. 7. James, born 1705. 8. Isaac, born 1708; died Nov. 7, 1796. 9. Elizabeth, born 1710.
Elizabeth (Bliss) Morgan the connection to the JP "Robber Baron" Morgan in the Bliss Family.
The American generational descent from Thomas Sr. Bliss of Hartford to "Robber Baron" John Pierpont (JP) Morgan is
Gen. 1: Thomas Sr. of Hartford (1590-1650) and Margaret (Hulins) (c. 1595-1684) Bliss;
Gen. 2: Elizabeth (Bliss) (c. 1636-1683) and Sgt. Miles (c. 1615-1699) Morgan;
Gen. 3: Nathaniel (1671-1752) and Hannah (Bird) (c. 1670-1751) Morgan;
Gen. 4: Joseph (1702-1786) and Mary (Stebbins) (1713-1798) Morgan;
Gen. 5: Capt. Joseph (1740-1847) and Experience (Smith) (1741-1821) Morgan;
Gen. 6: Joseph (1780-1847) and Sarah (Spencer) (1787-1859) Morgan;
Gen. 7: Junius Spencer (1813-1890) and Juliet (Pierpont) (1816-1884) Morgan;
Gen. 8: John Pierpont "Robber Baron" (1837-1913) and Amelia (Sturges) (1835-1862) Morgan; For links and details see the Descendancy Links of Laurence Overmire:
JP "Robber Baron" Morgan and Floyd Bliss Hanson are 6th Cousins Thrice Removed
Sgt. Miles Morgan's Timeline
Glamorgan, Wales, United Kingdom
Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, USA
December 14, 1644
Springfield, Hampden, Ma
November 16, 1646
Springfield, Hampden, Ma
September 23, 1648
Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts
May 5, 1650
May 12, 1652
Springfield (Hampden) Massachussetts
April 8, 1654
Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts
April 11, 1656
Springfield, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA