Sgt. Nathaniel Vary Jones

Is your surname Jones?

Research the Jones family

Sgt. Nathaniel Vary Jones's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Nathaniel Vary Jones

Also Known As: "twin", "Nathaniel /Jones/"
Birthdate: (40)
Birthplace: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Death: February 15, 1863 (40)
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Immediate Family:

Son of Lucinda Kingsly
Husband of Rebecca Maria Burton; Mary Etta Jones; Eliza Reed; Mary ELizabeth Brown and Caroline Martin Jamison
Father of Clara Lucinda Jones; Harriet Cecelia Jones; Samuel Jones; Nathaniel Vary Jones, Jr; Isabel Maria Jones and 6 others
Brother of Frederick Jones; William H. Jones; Samuel Jones and Calvin Kingsley Jones

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Sgt. Nathaniel Vary Jones

Birth: Oct. 13, 1822 Brighton Monroe County New York, USA Death: Feb. 15, 1863 Salt Lake City Salt Lake County Utah, USA

Son of Samuel Jones and Lucinda Kingsley

Married Rebecca Maria Burton, 14 Mar 1845, Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois

Married Mary Etta Coray, 12 May 1851, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Married Caroline Martin Garr, 7 Jul 1856, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Married Eliza Reed, 21 Mar 1857, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Married Mary Elizabeth Brown, 31 May 1857, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

History - Born in New York, at the age of seventeen years, he felt unaccountably drawn towards the western country, and although young and inexperienced, he made his way to Potosi, Wisconsin. He there became acquainted with Albert Carrington, in whose family he resided for many months. About this time a branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, and he became a member. He was baptized by Elder William O. Clark, and on April 6, 1842, was ordained a teacher under the hand of Zera H. Gurly and Albert Carrington.

In the spring of 1843, he went to Nauvoo, Illinois, where he was ordained an elder on June 11, 1843, and was sent on a mission to Ohio. He left Nauvoo on the 19th of June in company with elder Robert T. Burton with whom he labored in the ministry until about the 15th of June, 1844, bringing a number into the church. From there he was sent to labor in Rochester Monroe County, New York, where he held several meetings, visited his relations and friends, and bore a faithful testimony to them of the truth of the great Latter-day work.

He was about this time afflicted with inflammation of the eyes, which was so severe that for several weeks he was blind; but through the blessing of the Lord he was able to get home to Nauvoo on the 17th of September. When his eyes were better he went to Potosi and remained until the following spring. He returned to Nauvoo, and on the 14th day of March was married to Rebecca M. Burton. He remained there about one year assisting on the temple, and acting as a guard or minute-man, until May, 1846, when he left with the Saints for Council Bluffs.

About the time of his arrival there the call was made for the Mormon Battalion and he was counselled to enlist, which he did, not yielding to his own feelings in the matter but desiring to obey the counsel of those who were placed at the head to direct. He performed the journey and reached California with his brethren. Just before his term of enlistment expired, he, with nine of his comrades, was chosen as a guard for Col. John C. Fremont, who was called to Washington owing to some difficulty. They reached the Missouri River on the 22nd of August, after a very hard and perilous journey.

After finding his family safe in Atchison, Missouri, in the fall of 1847, he went to Ohio to visit his aged mother and brothers. He remained there during the winter and succeeded in getting two of his brothers to come west with him; one of whom was believing in the truths of the Gospel. But they were all obliged to stop in St. Joseph, Missouri, until the spring of 1849, when on the 8th day of May they started for the Salt Lake valley. During the journey, one brother accidently shot himself as he was preparing his gun to go hunting. This occurred at North Platte Forge, on the 4th of July. He was carried into the river on a sheet and baptised at his earnest request and died on the 8th. The other brother went to California.

On the 8th of August Nathaniel reached Salt Lake, and on the 20th of November, 1850, he was elected to the office of First Lieutenant of Cavalry, in the Battalion of Life Guards of the Nauvoo Legion, and of the Militia of the Territory of Utah. In April, 1851, he was elected Alderman of Salt Lake City. On the 14th of September, 1852, he was ordained into the High Priests' Quorum, and was also ordained to the Bishopric, acting as Bishop of the 15th Ward.

At a special conference held August 28, 1852, he was appointed to go on a mission to Hindostan. He started in company with a number of others October 19, and went southwest across the desert to San Bernardino, thence to San Pedro, and to San Francisco where they tarried until the 29th of January. They arrived at Calucutta on the 26th day of April, 1853. At a conference held there on the 29th of April, he was appointed president of that mission. He returned to Salt Lake via San Francisco on the morning of October 4, 1855, making his absence from home three years.

In the spring of 1856, he was called to go to Las Vegas, New Mexico, for the purpose of manufacturing lead. He returned to this city in March, 1857, having accomplished all that he was desired to do. On the 9th day of April, 1857, he was elected Councilor of Great Salt Lake City by unanimous vote of the people.

On the 1st of June he was required and authorized to carry the mail from this city as far east as Deer Creek, on the way to Independence, Missouri. About this time, the word came that the President of the United States was sending an army to Utah, in consequence of which on the 11th day of August, 1857, President Young advised Mr. Jones to come home. As soon as he reached home he was sent to Echo, and was acting Colonel during the Utah war; and in connection with his brethren, suffered many hardships and privations which told very much on his constitution.

In the spring of 1858, when the city was vacated, he was one who was told to remain as guard over the property. On July 2, all things being settled, and peaceable, the families and friends began to return home together. But a constant watch had to be kept up day and night so that his duties did not slacken in the least, but he, in turn with his brethren, stood guard during the summer. At the election held on the 4th of August, 1858, he was elected Selectman for three years, in and for Salt Lake County. In the fall of 1859, he was called to go on a mission to England, where he labored faithfully until he was released.

Shortly after he returned home in the fall of 1861, the subject of making iron was discussed, and Mr. Jones being of the opinion that it could be done, was sent to Iron County. He reached Parowan about the 12th of November, 1861, when he immediately set to work putting up the machinery and getting out the ore. By a letter and specimen sent to President Young, which reached here January 22, 1862, it was seen that he succeeded. The iron was handed to James Lawson of this city for examination. Mr. Lawson tested its qualities and found its tensile strength to be ten percent better than the best quality of States iron. Mr. Lawson says, "Good cast steel can be manufactured from it." The ore was obtained near Pinto Creek."

He spent the winter and until late in the spring before he suited himself in point of location, but about the 1st of June, he became located at Rocky Ford, Beaver County; put up some buildings and prepared for the coming winter. President Young thought that if he could find the same class of ore nearer Salt Lake City he had better put up works as near as practicable; as here was the principal demand. Accordingly, Mr. Jones came back and found the ore in two different localities, and it was decided that he return to this city. By the time he had brought his family back it was late in November and in going to the mountains for wood he was over taken in a very severe storm and came very near perishing. He took a heavy cold and never felt well afterward. On the morning of the 8th of February he was taken ill with inflammation of the lungs and brain, and on the morning of the 15th, 1863, he died at his home in the 15th Ward, Salt Lake City.

Mormon Battalion, Company D

Family links:

 Rebecca Maria Burton Jones (1826 - 1888)*
 Mary Etta Coray Jones (1827 - ____)*
 Caroline Martin Garr Jamison (1836 - 1912)*
 Eliza Reed Jones (1836 - 1900)*
 Mary Elizabeth Brown Jones (1836 - 1916)*

 Harriet Cecelia Jones Pickett (1848 - 1917)*
 Nathaniel Vary Jones (1850 - 1921)*
 Charles Brown Jones (1859 - 1948)*
  • Point here for explanation

Burial: Salt Lake City Cemetery Salt Lake City Salt Lake County Utah, USA Plot: B_15_8__

view all 18

Sgt. Nathaniel Vary Jones's Timeline

October 13, 1822
Rochester, Monroe, New York
March 17, 1846
Age 23
Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, United States
May 15, 1848
Age 25
Nishnabotna, Atchison, Missouri, United States
July 28, 1849
Age 26
Green River, Sweetwater, Wyoming, United States
November 9, 1850
Age 28
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
October 28, 1852
Age 30
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
July 2, 1856
Age 33
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
September 20, 1858
Age 35
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
Age 35