Hebrew: שם ., Arabic: سام .
|Also Known As:||"Sam", "Shem", "שם", "سام", "Melchizedek", "ShemEliakim", "praojciec Hebrajczyków", "Sum", "Shem /ʃɛm/; Hebrew: שֵׁם", "Modern Shem", "Tiberian Šēm; Greek: Σημ Sēm; Ge'ez: ሴም", "Sēm; "renown; prosperity; name"; Arabic: سام Sām"|
|Birthplace:||Shulon, East Eden|
|Death:||Died in Salem, Jerusalem, Canaan|
|Place of Burial:||Salem (Jerusalem), Canaan|
Son of Noah . and Naamah .
|Occupation:||King of Jerusalem, King of Salem|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Shem .
- Genesis 5:32
- Genesis 9:18-29 respectfully covers his drunk father, Noah, with his brother Japheth.
- Genesis 10:21-31 lists his descendants, the Semitic races, named for him (Shem = Sem).
- Genesis 11:10-32 lists his lineage to Abraham (9 generations later).
- Book of Jasher 7:15-22 and ספר הישר - פרשת נח
Please do NOT merge this profile with any profiles for Sceaf. The sources for the two are nothing alike. As such they can NOT even possibly be a match.
Father of many nations, possibly Malchizedek. Descendants lived in Mesha to Mt. Sephar (in the east).
Genesis 5:32: 'And Noah was five hundred years old; and Noah begot Shem, Ham, and Japheth.'
Shem helped his father, Noah, build the ark. He and his family are referred to as the 'Semites'.
Genesis 10:31 'And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east. These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.'
Genesis 11:10 - 'This is the account of Shem. Two years after the flood, when Shem was 100 years old, he became the father of Arphaxad.
Shem was the traditional ancestor of the Shemitic or semitic races - a group of kindred nations, which includes the Arabs, the Hebrews and Phoenicians, and Aramaeans or Syrians, the Babylonians and Assyrians. He was given Asia within the Euphrates to the Indian Ocean, by his father Noah.
LENGTH OF LIFE
Shem lived 600 years.
According to Genesis 10:22-31
22 The children of Shem: Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad and Lud and Aram. 23 And the children of Aram; Uz and Hul, and Gether and Mash. 24 And Arphaxad begat Salah and Salah begat Eber. 25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one [was] Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name [was] Joktan. 26 And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah. 27 And Hadoram, and Uzal and Diklah, 28 And Obal, and Abimael and Sheba, 29 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan. 30 And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east 31 These [are] the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.
Excerpts from Genesis 11:10-26— Shem [was] an hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood ... Arphaxad lived five and thirty years, and begat Salah ... Salah lived thirty years, and begat Eber ... Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg ... Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu ... Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug ... Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor ... Nahor lived nine and twenty years, and begat Terah ... Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran ... and Haran begat Lot
Book of Jasher
A rabbinic document that surfaced in the 17th century, claiming to be the lost Book of Jasher provides some names not found in any other source. Some have reconstructed more complete genealogies based on this information as follows:
Shem. Also Sem Literal meanings are named or renown (father of the Semitic races - Shemites). The sons of Shem were:
- Elam "eternity" (sons were Shushan, Machul and Harmon) - (Elamites and Khuzestanis)
- Asshur "a step" or "strong" (sons were Mirus and Mokil)
- Arphaxad (sons were Shelach, Anar and Ashcol) - Chaldeans, Hebrews (Israelites, Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Ishmaelites, and Qahtanites)
- Ziezi - son of Shem and a grandson of Noah. His name is mentioned in the excerpt Ziezi ex quo vulgares meaning "Ziezi, of whom the Bulgars" but being regarded by some as the first European reference to the Bulgars as a people. (Bulgars and Thracians—though modern scholarship classifies neither as Semitic; the former being Turkic and the latter Indo-European)
- Lud "strife" (sons were Pethor and Bizayon) - (Ludim, Lubim, Ludians, Ludu, Lydians, and other related groups in Asia Minor—generally classified today as Indo-European).
- Aram "exalted" (sons were Uz, Chul, Gather and Mash) - (Aramaeans).
Book of Luke
According to Luke 3:36 Jesus is a descendant of Shem.
Om Shem . (Dansk)
(Den angelsaksiske krønike viser Sem som far til Bedwig) stamfader Asien, eponym af SHEMITIDY, som vist (med variant stavemåder) Gheter osv. er undertiden vist som børn, undertiden som børnebørn; poss. aka Melkisedekske (qv),
Renown«; poss. King of SALEM eller JERUSALEM; poss. Priest af Aton (Adonai) poss. aka Shamash GUD af Sun, qv; poss. aka Tuisto af GERMANIA, qv, 4:e profet seglet
Acerca de Shem . (Español)
Dos años después del diluvio, cuando Sem tenía cien años, nació su hijo Arfaxad. Después de esto, Sem vivió quinientos años más, y tuvo otros hijos e hijas. (Gén. 11:10-11). Sem mismo pudo haber escrito esta genealogía puesto que su vida, superó los 427 años desde el diluvio hasta Abraham. Sem pudo haber nacido alrededor del año 2448 a. de J.C., su vida se extendió por seiscientos años, a lo largo de ocho generaciones de setenta años cada una! Lo que indicaría que Sem murió en el año 1848 aproximadamente.
Shem .'s Timeline
(21) También le nacieron hijos a Sem, padre de todos los Bene-Heber y hermano mayor de Jafet.
Hijos de Sem: Elam, Asur, Arfacsad, Lud y Aram
Shulon, East Eden
32 Y siendo Noé de quinientos años, engendró a Sem, a Cam y a Jafet.
10 Estas son las generaciones de Sem: Sem, de edad de cien años, engendró a Arfaxad, dos años después del diluvio.
Salem, Jerusalem, Canaan
11 Y vivió Sem, después que engendró a Arfaxad, quinientos años, y engendró hijos e hijas.