Francis Fane, 1st Earl Westmorland
|Birthplace:||Bedsell, Kent, England|
|Death:||Died in Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Place of Burial:||Apethorpe, Northamptonshire, England|
Son of Sir Thomas Fane, Knight, of Badsell and Lady Mary Fane, Baroness le Despenser
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
About Sir Francis Fane, 1st Earl of Westmorland
Francis Fane, 1st Earl of Westmorland was born in February 1579/80.1 He was the son of Sir Thomas Fane and Mary Neville, Baroness le Despenser.2 He married Mary Mildmay, daughter of Sir Anthony Mildmay, circa 15 February 1598/99.1 He died on 23 March 1628 at age 48.1
Francis Fane, 1st Earl of Westmorland was educated at Queens' College, Cambridge University, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.1 He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Kent in 1601.1 He was invested as a Knight, Order of the Bath (K.B.) in 1603.1 He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Maidstone between 1604 and 1611.1 He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Maidstone in 1614.1 He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Maidstone between 1620 and 1622.1 He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Peterborough in 1624.1 He was created 1st Earl of Westmorland [England] on 29 December 1624.2 He was created 1st Baron Burghersh, co. Sussex [England] on 29 December 1624.1 He succeeded to the title of 4th Lord le Despenser [E., 1314] on 28 June 1626.1
Children of Francis Fane, 1st Earl of Westmorland and Mary Mildmay
- Sir Francis Fane+1 d. c 1681
- Lady Catherine Fane3 d. c 1649
- George Fane+4
- Lady Grace Fane5
- Lady Elizabeth Fane6
- Mildmay Fane, 2nd Earl of Westmorland+ b. 24 Jan 1601/2, d. 12 Feb 1665/66
- Lady Mary Fane+7 b. 3 Aug 1606, d. c 1634
- Anthony Fane+6 b. 1613, d. 1643
- Lady Rachael Fane8 b. 28 Jan 1612/13, d. 11 Nov 1680
- [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 3, page 4134. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 34. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 1028.
- [S1457] Paul W. Harding, "re: British Admirals-Age of Nelson," e-mail message to Darryl Lundy, 10 September 2005. Hereinafter cited as "re: Age of Nelson."
- [S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 2, page 1949.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 3, page 4137.
- [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume V, page 635.
- [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume II, page 19.
FANE, Francis (bef.1581-1629), of Badsell, Tudeley, Kent; later of Apethorpe, Northants.
b. bef. 1581, 1st s. of Sir Thomas Fane of Badsell by his 2nd w. Mary (later Baroness le Despenser), da. and h. of Henry Neville, 6th Lord Bergavenny; bro. of George. educ. Maidstone g.s.; Queens’, Camb. c.1595; L. Inn 1597. m. 1599, Mary, da. and h. of Sir Anthony Mildmay of Apethorpe, 7s. 6da. suc. fa. 1589. Kntd. 1603; cr. Earl of Westmorland 1624; suc. to mother’s title as Baron le Despenser 1626.2
Dep. lt. Northants. by 1618, custos rot. 1625.3
Fane inherited all his father’s real estate, married an heiress worth £3,000 a year, and had expectations of a further £1,200 p.a. from his mother-in-law. On the eve of the 1601 parliamentary election he was described as ‘a young gentleman of great hope and forwardness, very well affected in the county already’. His chief asset in a hard-fought contest for the senior county seat, however, was the support of Henry Brooke II, Lord Cobham. His position as knight for Kent entitled him to serve on committees concerning the order of parliamentary business (3 Nov.), clothworkers (18 Nov.) and monopolies (23 Nov.). By the time of the next election Lord Cobham was in disgrace and Fane had to content himself with a borough seat at Maidstone. He remained closely associated with the borough, even after his removal to Apethorpe, the Mildmay seat in Northamptonshire.4
In his will dated 8 Dec. 1628, Fane appointed his wife sole executrix, and the bishop of Lincoln, Lord Brudenell and his brother George, overseers. He mentioned his properties in Kent, Middlesex, Northamptonshire and Wiltshire, and the lease of a parsonage in Carmarthenshire. To each of his two unmarried daughters he allotted £3,000 as a portion, and among his bequests to his eldest son Mildmay, who already enjoyed the courtesy title of Lord le Despenser, was ‘one earl’s coronet of pure gold’ worth £200. Fane died 23 Mar. 1629 and was buried at Mereworth church in Kent, where he had a house, not far from Badsell.5
Ref Volumes: 1558-1603
- 1. Did not serve for the full duration of the Parliament.
- 2. CP; Collins, Peerage, iii. 294; Vis. Kent. (Harl. Soc, lxxv), 42-4, 112-14.
- 3. Northants. Rec. Soc. vii. 174; PRO Index 4211.
- 4. C142/223/84; PCC 10 Sainberbe; Maidstone Recs. 89; HMC 10th Rep. IV, 6, 19; D’Ewes, 624, 642, 649; Neale, Commons, 72-4; Bridges, Northants. ii. 425; APC, 1616-17, p. 44.
- 5. PCC 37 Ridley; Collins, Peerage, loc. cit.; Al. Cant. ii. 119
- 'Mary MILDMAY (C. Westmoreland)
- Born: ABT 1582, Apethorpe, Northamtonshire, England
- Died: 9 Apr 1649, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England
- Father: Anthony MILDMAY (Sir)
- Mother: Grace SHARINGTON
- 'Married: Francis FANE (1º E. Westmoreland) (b. Feb 1579) (son of Sir Thomas Fane and Mary Neville)
- 1. Rachel FANE (C. Bath) (m. Henry Bourchier, 5º E. Bath - Lionel Cranfield, 3º E. Middlesex)
- 2. MILDMAY FANE (2° E. Westmoreland) (m.1 Grace Thornhurst - m.2 Mary Vere)
- 3. Catherine FANE (m. Conyers Darcy)
- 4. Elizabeth FANE (m. William Cope of Icombe)
- 5. Francis FANE of Fulbeck (Sir Knight) (m. Elizabeh West)
- 6. George FANE (m. Dorothy Marsh)
- 7. William FANE (m. Frances Rodney)
- 8. Grace FANE (m. James Home)
- 9. Joan FANE
- 10. Thomas FANE
- 11. Anthony FANE (m. Anna Benn)
- 12. Mary FANE (m. Dutton Gerard)
- 13. Frances FANE
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/MILDMAY.htm#Mary MILDMAY (C. Westmoreland)
- See also: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/NEVILLE4.htm#Mary NEVILLE (B. Despencer)
Sir Francis Fane, 1st Earl of Westmorland's Timeline
February 1, 1579
Bedsell, Kent, England
January 24, 1601
Mereworth, Kent, England
Scotland, United Kingdom
August 3, 1605