Matching family tree profiles for Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord of Talbot
view all 20
About Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord of Talbot
- Sir Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14
- M, #11092, b. circa 1332, d. 24 April 1387
- Father Sir Richard Talbot, 2nd Lord Talbot & Lord of Mar, Justice of the Peace for Gloucestershire & Herefordshire3,5,7,10,15 b. c 1305, d. 23 Oct 1356
- Mother Elizabeth Comyn3,5,7,10,15 b. 1 Nov 1299, d. 20 Nov 1372
- Sir Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot was born circa 1332 at of Eccleswall in Linton, Archenfield, & Goodrich Castle, Herefordshire, England.3,5,7,10,13 A settlement for the marriage Sir Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot and Petronilla Butler was made on 8 September 1352; They had 1 son (Sir Richard, 4th Lord Talbot) and 1 daughter (Elizabeth, wife of Sir Henry, 5th Lord Grey of Wilton).16,3,4,7,8,9,13,14 Sir Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot married Joan de Stafford, daughter of Sir Ralph de Stafford, 1st Earl Stafford, 2nd Lord Stafford, Seneschal of Aquitaine, Chief Justice of Chester & Flint and Margaret de Audley, circa 7 February 1377; 2nd marriage for both.2,3,5,6,7,10,12,13 Sir Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot died on 24 April 1387 at Roales de Pan, Zamora, Castle & Leon, Spain; Died of plague.2,3,5,7,10,13
- Family 1 Petronilla Butler b. c 1332, d. 1368
- Elizabeth Talbot+17,3,7,8,11,13,14 d. 10 Jan 1402
- Sir Richard Talbot, 4th Lord Talbot, Baron de Blackmere+3,7,13 b. c 1361, d. 8 Sep 1396
- Family 2 Joan de Stafford b. c 1339, d. c 2 Aug 1397
- 1.[S2884] Unknown author, Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, by F. L. Weis, 4th Ed., p. 29; The Ancestry of Dorothea Poyntz, by Ronny O. Bodine, p. 90.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 198.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 702.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 379.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 426.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 74.
- 7.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 165-166.
- 8.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 345.
- 9.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 48.
- 10.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 141-142.
- 11.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 389-390.
- 12.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 11.
- 13.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 116-117.
- 14.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 371.
- 15.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 114-116.
- 16.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 176.
- 17.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 177.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p370.htm#i11092
- Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot1
- M, #23627, d. 24 April 1387
- Last Edited=28 Dec 2008
- Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot was the son of Richard Talbot, 2nd Lord Talbot and Elizabeth Comyn.2 He married, secondly, Joan de Stafford, daughter of Ralph de Stafford, 1st Earl of Stafford and Margaret Audley, Baroness Audley, before 16 November 1379.1 He died on 24 April 1387.1
- He succeeded to the title of 3rd Lord Talbot [E., 1332] in 1356.
- Child of Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot
- 1.Elizabeth Talbot+3 d. 10 Jan 1401
- Child of Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord Talbot and Petronilla Butler
- 1.Richard Talbot, 4th Lord Talbot+ d. 7 Sep 1396
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume III, page 161. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S1916] Tim Boyle, "re: Boyle Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 16 September 2006. Hereinafter cited as "re: Boyle Family."
3.[S37] BP2003 See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- Gilbert TALBOT (3° B. Talbot)
- Born: 1332
- Died: 24 Apr 1387, Roales, Spain
- Father: Richard TALBOT (2° B. Talbot)
- Mother: Elizabeth COMYN
- Married 1: Petronella BUTLER 8 Sep 1352
- 1. Richard TALBOT (4º B. Talbot)
- 2. Elizabeth TALBOT (B. Grey of Wilton)
- Married 2: Joan STAFFORD (B. Powis) BEF 16 Nov 1379
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/TALBOT.htm#Gilbert TALBOT (3° B. Talbot)
- .... etc.
- Gilbert Talbot (1276–1346), Lord Chamberlain of the Household to King Edward III, was summoned to Parliament as Lord Talbot in 1331, which is accepted as evidence of his baronial status at that date.
- He was descended from Richard Talbot, a tenant in 1086 of Walter Giffard at Woburn and Battledsen in Bedfordshire. The Talbot family were vassals of the Giffards in Normandy. Hugh Talbot, probably his son, made a grant to Beaubec Abbey, confirmed by his son Richard Talbot in 1153. This Richard (d. 1175) is listed in 1166 as holding three fees of the Honour of Giffard in Buckinghamshire. He also held a fee at Linton in Herefordshire, for which his son Gilbert Talbot (d. 1231) obtained a fresh charter in 1190. Gilbert's grandson Gilbert (d. 1274) married Gwenlynn Mechyll, daughter and sole heiress of the Welsh Prince Rhys Mechyll, whose armorials the Talbots thenceforth assumed in lieu of their own former arms. Their son Sir Richard Talbot, who signed the Barons' Letter, 1301, held the manor of Eccleswall in Herefordshire in right of his wife Sarah, sister of William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick. In 1331 Richard's son Gilbert Talbot (1276–1346) was summoned to Parliament, which is considered evidence of his baronial status.
- The first baron's grandson, the 3rd Baron Talbot, died in Spain supporting John of Gaunt's claim to the throne of Castile. Richard, the fourth Baron, married Ankaret, 7th Baroness Strange of Blackmere, daughter and heiress of John le Strange, 4th Baron Strange of Blackmere. In 1387, during his father's lifetime, Richard 4th Baron was summoned to Parliament as Ricardo Talbot de Blackmere in right of his wife. His son [Gilbert], the fifth Baron, also succeeded his mother as eighth Baron Strange of Blackmere.
- On the early death of the 5th Baron, the titles passed to his daughter, Ankaret, the sixth and ninth holder of the titles. However, she died a minor and was succeeded by her uncle, John seventh Baron Talbot. John married Maud Nevill, 6th Baroness Furnivall, and, in 1409, he was summoned to Parliament in right of his wife as Johann Talbot de Furnyvall. In 1442 John was created Earl of Shrewsbury in the Peerage of England and in 1446 Earl of Waterford in the Peerage of Ireland. .... etc.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Talbot
- Talbot, Baron (E, 1332 - abeyant 1777)
- Gilbert [Talbot], 3rd Baron Talbot
- born c. 1332
- mar. (1) bef. 8 Sep 1352 Lady Pernel Butler (d. c. 1368), only dau. of James [Butler], 1st Earl of Ormonde, by his wife Lady Eleanor de Bohun, 1st dau. of Humphrey [de Bohun], 4th Earl of Hereford and 9th Earl of Essex, by his wife and third cousin Princess Elizabeth, widow of John I, Count of Holland and Zealand, and 10th dau. by his first wife of King Edward I
- children by first wife
- 1. Sir Richard Talbot, later 4th Baron Talbot
- 1. Elizabeth Talbot (d. 10 Jan 1401/2), mar. bef. 3 Feb 1379/80 Henry [Grey], 5th Baron Grey of Wilton, and had issue
- mar. (2) bef. 16 Nov 1379 Lady Joan Cherleton (widow of John [Cherleton], 3rd Baron Cherleton; d. bef. 1397), 2nd dau. of Ralph [de Stafford], 1st Earl of Stafford, by his second wife Lady Margaret de Audley, suo jure Baroness Audley, only dau. and hrss. of Hugh [de Audley], 1st Earl of Gloucester, by his wife Lady Margaret de Gaveston, widow of Piers [de Gaveston], 1st Earl of Cornwall, and 2nd dau. of Gilbert [de Clare], 6th Earl of Gloucester, by his second wife the Princess Joan "of Acre", 5th dau. by his first wife of King Edward I
- died 24 Apr 1387
- suc. by son by first wife
- Richard [Talbot], 4th Baron Talbot
- born c. 1361
- mar. bef. 23 Aug 1383 Ankaret Lestrange, suo jure Baroness Strange of Blackmere (b. c. 1361; mar. betw. 8 Mar and 4 Jul 1401 as his second wife Thomas [Nevill], jure uxoris 5th and 4th Baron Furnivall; d. 1 Jun 1413), only dau. and eventual sole hrss. of John [Lestrange], 1st or 4th Baron Strange of Blackmere, by his wife Lady Mary FitzAlan, 2nd dau. of Richard [FitzAlan], 10th or 3rd Earl of Arundel, by his first wife Isabel le Despencer, 2nd dau. of Hugh [le Despencer], 1st and de jure 2nd Baron le Despencer, by his wife Lady Eleanor de Clare, sister and cohrss of Gilbert [de Clare], 7th Earl of Gloucester, and 1st dau. of Gilbert [de Clare], 6th Earl of Gloucester, by his second wife Princess Joan "of Acre", 2nd surv. dau. by his first wife of King Edward I
- 1. Sir Gilbert Talbot, later 5th Baron Talbot later 5th Baron Strange of Blackmere
- 2. Sir John Talbot, later jure uxoris 6th and 5th Baron Furnivall later 7th Baron Strange of Blackmere and 7th Baron Talbot later 1st Earl of Shrewsbury
- 3. Most Rev Richard Talbot, Archbishop of Dublin
- 4. Thomas Talbot, of Wrockwardine, co. Shrewsbury
- died 8 or 9 Sepc1396
- suc. by son
- Gilbert [Talbot], 5th Baron Talbot later 5th Baron Strange of Blackmere, KG
- born 1383
- mar. (1)
- mar. (2) c. 1415 Beatrice ....., a lady of Portugal (mar. (2) bef. 1423 Thomas Fettiplace, of East Shefford, co. Berkshire; d. 25 Dec 1447; bur. at East Shefford, co. Berkshire)
- only child by second wife
- 1. Ankaret Talbot, later suo jure Baroness Talbot and Baroness Strange of Blackmere
- died s.p.m. 19 Oct 1418
- suc. by daughter
- From: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/talbot1332.htm#TALBOT_1332_7
- (1) Visitation (Yorkshire,1563-4, Talbot I) contains an illustrious pedigree for the early generations of this family, indicating that a John Talbot came into England from Normandy with the Conqueror and married the daughter of a Rychard, Lord Talbot, descended from a John, Lord Talbot of Eclesfeld, etc.. However, that pedigree appears to be largely spurious. Similarly, Visitation (Worcestershire, 1569, Talbot) provides a pedigree going back 8 generations before the 1st Earl much of which appears spurious. Collins reports that this family is 'said to be in England before the Norman Conquest' but starts with the following Richard. TCP is cautious about the origins of this family, pointing out that Talbot was a common Norman nickname. [A talbot was a long-eared dog used for tracking and hunting. Any reference to someone as 'de Talbot' should probably be read as 'le Talbot'.] BE1883 starts with the following Richard but, apart from mentioning that his son Geoffrey was ancestor of the Talbots of Bashall (which TCP appears to disagree with), then follows the descent of his son Hugh
- (2) On Temp44 we show the interesting additional connections shown by a large online database which we wish to investigate further but which we think important enough to draw attention to.
- Richard Talbot (a 1085)
- m. ?? de Gournay (dau of Gerard, Sire de Gournay, Lord of Yarmouth)
- 1. Geoffrey Talbot (d c1129/30)
- His family is as reported in a note to TCP (Munchensy of Norfolk).
- m. Agnes de Lacy (dau of Walter de Laci)
- A. Geoffrey Talbot (d 1140)
- B. Sybil Talbot
- m. Payn FitzJohn of Ewyas, Sheriff of Hereford and Salop
- 2. Hugh Talbot (a 1118)
- m. (div) Beatrix de Mandeville (d 19.04.1197, dau of William de Mandeville)
- A. Richard Talbot (d before 25.12.1175) first in the pedigree given by TCP (Talbot)
- m. _ Bulmer (dau of Stephen Bulmer of Appletreewick)
- i. Gilbert Talbot (d before 13.02.1230/1)
- a. Richard Talbot (d before 13.04.1234)
- m. (before 1124) Aline or Aliva Basset (dau of Alan Basset, Baron of Wycombe, widow of Drew de Montacute)
- (1) Gilbert Talbot (d 1274)
- m. Gwendaline (dau of Rhys ap Griffith ap Rhys ap ap Griffith ap Rhys ap Tewdwr Mawr, King of South Wales)
- (A) Richard Talbot, lord of Eccleswall, Sheriff of Gloucester (d 1306)
- m. Sarah de Beauchamp (dau of William de Beauchamp of Elmley, 1st Earl of Warwick)
- (i) Sir Gilbert Talbot, 1st Baron, Lord Chamberlain (d 1346)
- m. Anne Boteler (dau of William Boteler of Wemme)
- (a) Sir Richard Talbot, 2nd Baron (d 1356)
- m. (before 1325) Elizabeth Comyn (b 1299, a 1326, dau of Sir John Comyn, Lord of Badenoch)
- ((1)) Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Baron (d 24.04.1387)
- m1. Petronilla Butler (d 1387, dau of James Butler, 1st Earl of Ormonde)
- ((A)) Sir Richard Talbot, 4th Baron (d 07.09.1396)
- m. Ankaret le Strange (dau of John Strange, 4th Lord of Blackmere)
- ((i)) .... etc.
- ((B)) Elizabeth Talbot
- m. Sir Henry de Grey, 5th Lord of Wilton (d 1395)
- m2. Joan Stafford (dau of Ralph, Earl of Stafford)
- (ii) .... etc.
- i. Gilbert Talbot (d before 13.02.1230/1)
- Main source(s): BP1934 (Shrewsbury), BE1883 (Talbot - various), Visitation (Surtees Society 1869, Yorkshire, Dugdale 1664-6, Talbot of Thorneton) with support from TCP (Talbot), Collins (1741, Talbot Earl of Shrewsbury).
- From: Stirnet.com
view all 46
Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Lord of Talbot's Timeline
Goodrich, Herefordshire, England
Goodrich Castle, Herefordshire, England
Blackmere, Cornwall, England
April 24, 1386
Roales del Pan, Kingdom of Castille and Leon
April 24, 1386
April 8, 1913
February 18, 1925