Henry Boynton, Knight
|Birthplace:||Sadbury, York, England|
|Death:||Died in Executed with 7 others at Sadbury in Yorkshire|
|Cause of death:||Executed for taking up arms with Earl of Northumberland against Henry IV.|
Son of Sir Thomas Boynton, of Acklam & Roxby and Margaret Boynton
|Occupation:||defeated after taking up arms against Henry IV in 1405|
|Managed by:||Carolyn Jean Potter (Jorgensen)|
Matching family tree profiles for Sir Henry Boynton, of Acklam
About Sir Henry Boynton, of Acklam
13. Sir Henry Boynton (? - July 2, 1405) --- He joined Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, who had taken up arms against Henry IV in 1405. They were defeated and Henry was executed with 7 others at Sadbury in Yorkshire. Married Elizabeth daughter of Sir John Merrifield. Two sons: William and Thomas (died at age 12). Two daughters: Elizabeth [per Email wife of Thomas Marton] and Janett [per Email wife of John Widdesworth]
The Boyntons claim their descent from an eleventh-century lord of the manor of Bovington or Boynton. They became lords of the manor of Acklam in Cleveland, but this manor, along with other family land, was forfeited to the king after Sir Henry Boynton was beheaded in 1405 for supporting the rebellion of Henry Percy, earl of Northumberland.
Sir Henry's eldest son, Thomas, died without issue and his second son, William, petitioned for return of land at Boynton. In this he was successful and his grandson, Henry, greatly expanded the family estates again by marrying Margaret, daughter of Martin de la See, lord of the manor of Barmston who died in 1494 (there is a picture of his tomb at DDMM/8/1) (Hawkesbury, Some East Riding families, p.6; Collier, The Boynton family, pp.1-10; Foster, Pedigrees).
- Papers of the Wickham-boynton Family (incorporating Griffith) of Burton Agnes
- An account of the Boynton family and the family seat of Burton Agnes By the Rev. Carus Vale Collier. Published 1914 by W. Appleyard in Middlesbrough . Written in English.
- William Page, ed. (1923) The Victoria History of the County of York North Riding, Volume Two, The St. Catherine Press, p. 221-223.
- "Full text of "An account of the Boynton family and the family seat of Burton Agnes"". Archive.org. 1912-09-05. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
Sir Henry Boynton, of Acklam's Timeline
Sadbury, York, England
of Acklam, Eng
July 20, 1405
Executed with 7 others at Sadbury in Yorkshire