Historical records matching Sir Henry Tate, 1st Baronet
About Sir Henry Tate, 1st Baronet
Sir Henry Tate, 1st Baronet (11 March 1819 White Coppice near Chorley Lancashire – 5 December 1899) was an English sugar merchant and philanthropist, noted for establishing the Tate Gallery, London.
Tate was the son of a Unitarian clergyman. When he was 13, he became a grocer's apprentice in Liverpool. After a seven-year apprenticeship, he was able to set up his own shop. His business was successful, and grew to a chain of six stores by the time he was 35. In 1859 Tate became a partner in John Wright & Co. sugar refinery, selling his grocery business in 1861. By 1869, he had gained complete control of the company, and renamed it as Henry Tate & Sons. In 1872, he purchased the patent from German Eugen Langen for making sugar cubes, and in the same year built a new refinery in Liverpool. In 1877 he opened a refinery at Silvertown, London, which remains in production. At the time, much of Silvertown was still marshland. Tate was a modest rather retiring man, well known for his concern with workers’ conditions. He built the Tate Institute opposite his Thames Refinery, a bar and dance hall for their recreation.
Sir Henry Tate, 1st Bt.
- Born on 11 March 1819.
- Son of Reverend William Tate and Agnes Booth.
- Married Jane Wignall, daughter of John Wignall, on 1 March 1841.
- Died on 5 December 1899 at age 80.
- He was Justice of the Peace (J.P.) Surrey. London. Streatham Common.
- Gained the title of 1st Baronet Tate. He lived Park Hill.2
- Married 2nd Amy Fanny, Lady of Grace, Order of St. John of Jerusalem (L.G.St.J.) (died 18 Oct 1919), only daughter of Charles Hislop, of Brixton Hill, London on 8 October 1885.On 27 June 1898 so created.
Children of Sir Henry Tate, 1st Bt. and Jane Wignall
- Isolina Tate d. 5 Mar 1935
- Agnes Esther Tate d. 26 Aug 1929
- William Henry Tate b. 23 Jan 1842
- Alfred Tate+1 b. 12 Nov 1845, d. 30 Jan 1913
- Edwin Tate+1 b. 22 Mar 1847, d. 14 Feb 1928
- Caleb Ashworth Tate b. 25 Oct 1850, d. 5 Apr 1908
- Henry Tate+1 b. 8 Dec 1853, d. 12 Feb 1902
- George Booth Tate b. 15 Jan 1857, d. 30 Apr 1936
Sir Henry Tate, 1st Baronet's Timeline
March 11, 1819
Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
January 15, 1857
December 5, 1899
December 5, 1899
Greater London, England, United Kingdom