John de Montacute
|Also Known As:||"1st Baron Montacute"|
|Birthplace:||Donyatt, Somersetshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Salesburg, Berkshire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Cathedral, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England|
Son of William Montagu, 1st Earl of Salisbury and Catherine de Montagu, Countess of Salisbury
|Occupation:||Sir Knight, "Knighted 12th Richard II", Baron|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for John de Montacute, 1st Baron Montacute
About John de Montacute, 1st Baron Montacute
Sir John de Montacute, later 1st Baron Montacute, was born about 1327 in Donyatt, Somersetshire, England. He died on 25 Feb 1389/1390 and was buried on 4 Mar 1389/90 in Salisbury Cathedral, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. Sir John was also known as Baron John de Montagu.
Parents: 2nd son of William de Montacute, 1st Earl of Salisbury (b. c. 1302-d. 30 Jan 1343/4) and Katharine de Grandison (d. 1349).
- on 2 Jul 1340 in St Humbert the Confessor Church, Stokenham, Devonshire, England to Margaret de Monthermer, suo jure Baroness Monthermer, only daughter and heiress of Thomas [de Monthermer], 2nd Baron Monthermer and his wife Margaret Teyes; he was the son of Joan of Acre. Margaret was born on 14 Oct 1329 in Saint Humbert, Stokenham ,Devonshire, England and died on 24 Mar 1394/1400.
John de Montacute and Margaret de Monthermer had 8 children (4 sons, 4 daughters)[fnt1]:
- John de Montacute, was born in 1350 and died on 5 Jan 1399/1400. He was the eldest son and heir; later 2nd Baron Montacute; later 3rd Earl of Salisbury.
- Sir Simon de Montacute/de Montagu, Knight, was born about 1353. [fnt1]
- Eleanor/Alianora de Montacute/de Montagu was born about 1357 in Salisbury,Wiltshire,England. She died after 1388.
- Sibyl de Montacute/de Montagu, a nun, was born about 1359 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. She died before 12 Oct 1420.
- Katherine de Montacute/de Montagu was born about 1361 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. She died after 1388.
- Margaret de Montacute/de Montagu, a nun, was born about 1363. She died after 1388.
- Thomas de Montacute/de Montagu, Dean of Salisbury, was born about 1365 in of,Salisbury,Wiltshire,England. He died on 31 Aug 1404.
- Richard de Montagu [Sir Knight] 1, 2 was born in 1369 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. He died on 12 Jun 1429. [fnt2]
- Robert Montague/Montacute, of Sutton, County Somerset, was born about 1373.[fn2]
Had summons to Parliament from the 31st of Edward to the 13th year of Richard II, when he died.
- not listed in Cracrofts Peerage
- TudorPlace lists 3 sons. "He had three sons, John his heir (who became 3d Earl of Salisbury), Thomas Montague, and Richard Montague, of whose issue there is no trace. This Richard lived ABT the year 1400. None of the English genealogies make any further mention of him except to state his name. It is claimed that there was also a fourth son, whose name was Simon Montague, and from 'in the nobility of England of this name claim descent'. Collins' Peerage, however, states that there is no evidence that this Simon ever lived, and is inclined to the belief that the nobility are descended from James Montague, a natural son of Thomas, 4th Earl of Salisbury. This James Montague had large possessions in County Kent, where he was a man of distinction, and is buried in the Church of Ludsdown in Kent."
Sir John de Montacute was born about 1360.
- Margaret Monthermer born about 1360.
Children of John de Monacute and Margaret Monthermer:
- Robert Montacute born about 1400. He married Mary of Devon, who was born about 1400.
- Dick Dutton's Master File Last Updated: 2006
- FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0 Reference Number: 9BCJ-0B