Matching family tree profiles for Sir John Scott, Sr., High Sheriff of Kent
About Sir John Scott, Sr., High Sheriff of Kent
John Scott (died 1533)
Sir John Scott (c. 1484 – 7 October 1533) was the eldest son of Sir William Scott of Scot's Hall. He served in King Henry VIII's campaigns in France, and was active in local government in Kent and a Member of Parliament for New Romney. He was the grandfather of both Reginald Scott, author of The Discoverie of Witchcraft, a source for Shakespeare's Macbeth, and Thomas Keyes, who married Lady Mary Grey.
According to MacMahon, the Scott family, which claimed descent from John Balliol, was among the leading families in Kent during the reign of King Henry VII.
John Scott, born about 1484, was the eldest son of Sir William Scott of Scot's Hall and Sibyl Lewknor (d. 1529), the daughter of Sir Thomas Lewknor of Trotton, Sussex. Scott's father, Sir William Scott, had been Comptroller of the Household to King Henry VII, and Scott's grandfather, Sir John Scott, had been Comptroller of the Household to King Edward IV. Both Scott's father and grandfather had held the offices of Constable of Dover Castle and Warden of the Cinque Ports, and Scott's father had been Marshal of Calais.
Scott had a brother, Edward, and three sisters, Anne, who married Sir Edward Boughton; Katherine; and Elizabeth.
As a young man Scott was knighted by the future Emperor Charles V in 1511 while serving as a senior captain, under his relative Sir Edward Poynings, with the English forces sent by King Henry VIII to aid Margaret of Austria, Regent of the Low Countries, against Charles II, Duke of Guelders. According to MacMahon Henry VIII 'transmuted the honour into a knighthood of the body'. In 1512 he was elected Member of Parliament for New Romney. Scott may have participated in the French campaigns of 1512 and 1513; he was among the forces being marshaled at Calais in 1514 when negotiations for peace between England and France brought the war to a temporary halt. In 1514 and 1515 he was a commissioner for the subsidy in Sussex. In June 1520 he attended Henry VIII at the Field of Cloth of Gold. In 1522 he was in the service of George Nevill, 5th Baron Bergavenny, Constable of Dover Castle, and was placed in charge of transport when the Emperor Charles V landed at Dover on 28 May 1522. In 1523 Scott was with the English forces which invaded northern France under the Duke of Suffolk. In 1523 and 1524 he was a commissioner for the subsidy in Kent. He was Sheriff of Kent in 1527 and 1528, and a Justice of the Peace in that county from 1531 until his death. In May 1533 Scott was summoned to be a servitor at the coronation of Anne Boleyn. He died on 7 October 1533.
Scott married, before 22 November 1506, Anne Pympe, daughter and heiress of Reynold Pympe, esquire, of Nettlestead, Kent, by Elizabeth Pashley, the daughter of John Pashley, esquire.
Sir John Scott and Anne Pympe had five sons and seven daughters:
- William Scott, who died in 1536 without issue.
- Sir Reginald (or Reynold) Scott (1512–15 December 1554), Sheriff of Kent in 1541–42 and Captain of Calais and Sandgate, who married firstly Emeline Kempe, the daughter of Sir William Kempe of Olantigh, Kent, by Eleanor Browne, the daughter of Sir Robert Browne, by whom he was the father of Sir Thomas Scott (1535–30 December 1594) and two daughters, Katherine Scott, who married John Baker (c.1531–1604×6), by whom she was the mother of Richard Baker, and Anne Scott, who married Walter Mayney. Sir Reginald Scott married secondly Mary Tuke, the daughter of Sir Brian Tuke.
- Sir John Scott.
- Richard Scott, esquire, the father of Reginald Scott (d. 1599), author of The Discoverie of Witchcraft.
- George Scott.
- Mildred Scott, who married firstly, John Digges, esquire, the son of James Digges and half brother of Leonard Digges, and secondly, Richard Keyes, gentleman, by whom she was the mother of Thomas Keyes, who married Lady Mary Grey.
- Katherine Scott, who married Sir Henry Crispe.
- Isabel Scott, who married Richard Adams, esquire.
- Alice Scott.
- Mary Scott, who married Nicholas Ballard, gentleman.
- Elizabeth Scott.
- Sibyl Scott, who married Richard Hynde, esquire.
- Sir John Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Burgess of New Romney1,2,3
- M, b. before 1485, d. 7 October 1533
- Father Sir William Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Constable of Dover Castle1,4 b. c 1445, d. 24 Aug 1524
- Mother Sibyl Lewknor1,4 b. c 1463
- Sir John Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Burgess of New Romney was born before 1485 at of Scott's Hall, Smeeth, Kent, England.1 He married Anne Pympe, daughter of Reginald (Reynold) Pympe, Esq. and Elizabeth Pashley, before 22 November 1506; They had 5 sons (Sir Reynold; Sir John; William; Richard, Esq; & George) and 7 daughters (Mildred, wife of John Digges, Esq., & of Richard Keyes, Gent; Katherine, wife of Sir Henry Crispe; Isabel, wife of Richard Adams, Esq; Alice; Mary, wife of Nicholas Ballard, Gent; Elizabeth; & Sibyl, wife of Richard Hynde, Esq.).1,2,3 Sir John Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Burgess of New Romney died on 7 October 1533 at Brabourne, Kent, England.1,3
- Family Anne Pympe b. b 1484, d. bt Aug 1524 - 16 Feb 1540
- Richard Scott, Esq.+ b. c 1506
- Sir Reginald Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Captain of Calais & Sangatte+1,3 b. c 1512, d. 16 Dec 1554
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 335.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 302.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 1-2.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 1.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2693.htm#i80926
- John Scott1
- M, b. circa 1480, d. before 1534
- John Scott was born circa 1480 at Scotts Hall, Brabourn, Kent, England. He was the son of William Scott and Sibill Lewknor. John Scott married Anne Pympe, daughter of Reginald Pympe and Elizabeth Pashley, before 22 November 1506 at Thevegate, Kent, England. John Scott died before 1534 at Brabourne, Kent, England.
- Child of John Scott and Anne Pympe
- Reginald Scott+ b. 1495, d. 16 Dec 1554
- 1.[S132] Aileen Lewers Langston and J. Orton Buck Jr, Charlemagne's Descendants-II, p. 28.
- From: http://www.charlemagne.org/p89.htm#i2937
- Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 51
- Scott, William (d.1350) by James McMullen Rigg
- SCOTT, Sir WILLIAM (d. 1350), judge, and reputed founder of the Kentish family of Scot's Hall, is said to have been son of John Scott who resided at Brabourne, Kent, apparently as seneschal of the manor. But the pedigree of the Scot's Hall family has not been traced with certainty before the fifteenth century. The judge, according to a wholly untrustworthy tradition, was descended from a younger brother of John de Baliol [q. v.], king of Scotland, and also of Alexander de Baliol [q. v.], lord of Chilham, Kent. William Scott makes his first appearance as a pleader in the year-book for 1330 (Michaelmas term). He was made serjeant-at-law in 1334–5, and on 18 March 1336–7 justice of the common pleas, having been knighted the day before, when the Black Prince was created Duke of Cornwall. In December 1340, with Chief-justice Sir Robert Parning [q. v.] and other judges, he sat at Westminster to try their delinquent colleague, Sir Richard de Willoughby [q. v.] He has been doubtfully identified with William Scott, who was knight marshal of England, and is said, according to an epitaph recorded by Weever, to have been buried in Brabourne church in 1350. But there was a William Scott who purchased land at Brabourne between 1352 and 1396, and was assessed to the sixteenth from 1349 to 1372. There is no proof, as is commonly stated, that the judge was father of Michael Scott, who in 1346–7 was assessed to the sixteenth in Bircholt.
- Obscurity in the history of the family of Scott of Scot's Hall ceases with the settlement by Peter de Coumbe in 1402 of the manor of Combe or Coumbe in Brabourne on William Scott (d. 1434), who was escheator for Kent in 1425, sheriff in 1428, and M.P. in 1430. Before 1409 he married his first wife, Joan, daughter of Sir John de Orlestone (d 1397), and by purchase or inheritance he acquired the manor and church of Orlestone, which had belonged to her family. He presented to the church in 1426, 1430, and 1433. He is believed to have built on the manor of Hall the mansion-house afterwards known as Scot's Hall. To him also was probably due the reconstruction in the Perpendicular style of the chapel of the Holy Trinity to the south of the chancel in Brabourne church, at the entrance of which he directed that he should be buried (cf. Weever). He died on 5 Feb. 1433–4. His second wife was Isabella, youngest daughter of Vincent Herbert, alias Finch, of Netherfield, Sussex (ancestor of the earls of Winchilsea); she survived him, and remarried Sir Gervase Clifton, treasurer of the household to Henry VI, who resided at Brabourne. By his second wife William Scott had, with other issue, an heir, John, and William (d 1491). The latter was lord of the manor of Woolstan, and founder of the family of Scott of Chigwell, Essex.
- The heir, Sir John Scott (d. 1485) of Scot's Hall, a consistent Yorkist, was appointed sheriff of Kent in 1460, and, on the accession of Edward IV next year, was knighted and made comptroller of the household. Edward IV, on the attainder in 1461 of Thomas, baron de Roos, and James Butler, earl of Wiltshire, gave him the castle and manor of Wilderton and Molash in Kent and the manor of Old Swinford and Snodsbury in Worcestershire, with a life interest in the castle and manor of Chilham. He was one of the negotiators of the treaty of commerce with Burgundy, concluded at Brussels on 24 Nov. 1467, and of the marriage treaty [see Margaret, Duchess of Burgundy], and one of the commission for the delimitation of the Pale of Picardy, appointed on 18 June 1472. He was returned to parliament for Kent in 1467, and was engaged in the following years on diplomatic negotiations with the Hanse Towns. In 1471 he succeeded Richard Neville, earl Warwick, whom he was sent to arrest in France after the battle of Stamford (May 1470), as lieutenant of Dover Castle, warden of the Cinque ports, and marshal of Calais, and continued in active diplomatic employment. He died on 17 Oct. 1485, and was buried in the north wall of the chancel of Brabourne church. His arms are in the north window of ‘the martyrdom’ at Canterbury Cathedral. His account-book (1463–6) was printed in ‘Archæologia Cant.’ vol. x. By his wife Agnes (d. 1487), daughter of William de Beaufitz of the Grange, Gillingham, Kent, he had, with two daughters, an heir, William. The statement that Thomas Rotherham [q. v.] was a younger son is without foundation.
- Sir William Scott (1459–1524) of Brabourne was concerned in the siege of Bodiam Castle in 1483–4, for which and other delinquencies he received a pardon on the accession of Henry VII. Rising in favour with that monarch, he was sworn of the privy council, appointed comptroller of the household, and created C.B. with Prince Arthur on 29 Nov. 1489. He was also lieutenant of Dover Castle, warden of the Cinque ports, and marshal of Calais in 1490–1, sheriff of Kent the same year, in 1501 and 1516. In 1495 he succeeded to the manor of Brabourne on the death, without issue, of Joan, widow of Sir John Lewknor (killed at Tewkesbury 1471). The property came to her from her father Richard, son of John Halsham, and, by a settlement of 1464, was limited to John Scott and his heirs, failing Joan Lewknor's issue. John Scott's relationship to the Halshams and Lewknors is not established. In 1519 Sir William attended Henry VIII at the Field of the Cloth of Gold, and figured among the grandees deputed with Wolsey to receive the Emperor Charles V on his landing at Dover on 28 May 1522. Scot's Hall he rebuilt in a style of such splendour as to make it long the rival of the greatest of the houses of Kent. He died on 24 Aug. 1524, and was buried in the chancel of Brabourne church. By his wife Sybil (d. 1527) he left issue. A younger son, Edward (d. 1535), married Alice, daughter of Thomas Fogge, serjeant porter of Calais, and founded the family of Scott of the Mote, Iden, Sussex.
- His heir, Sir John Scott (1484?–1533), was knighted by the young Prince Charles (afterwards the Emperor Charles V) for gallantry displayed in the campaign of 1511 in the Low Countries against the Duke of Guelders [see Poynings, Sir Edward]. He entered the retinue of George Neville, lord Abergavenny, constable of Dover Castle, and had charge of the transport service on the landing of Charles V at Dover on 28 May 1522. He was sheriff of Kent in 1527, and died 7 Oct. 1533. By marriage with Anne, daughter of Reginald Pympe (said to be de- scended from John Gower, the poet), his successors acquired the manor of Nettlestead, Kent. Their issue was, besides several daughters, three sons, William (d. 1536 s.p.), Reginald, and Richard, who was father of Reginald (d 1599) [q. v.], author of ‘The Discovery of Witchcraft.’
- Sir John Scott's second son, Sir Reginald Scott (1512–1554), sheriff of Kent in 1541 and surveyor of works at Sandgate, died on 15 Dec. 1554, and was buried at Brabourne, having married, first, Emeline, daughter of Sir William Kempe; and, secondly, Mary, daughter of Sir Brian Tuke [q. v.] He had issue six sons and four daughters.
- Sir Reginald Scott's eldest son by his first wife, Sir Thomas Scott (1535–1594), was soon prominent in public affairs in Kent. He was knighted in 1571, and was deputy lieutenant of the county. In 1575 he succeeded as heir to the manor of Nettlestead. In 1576 he served as high sheriff, and was knight of the shire in the parliaments of 1571 and 1586. He was a commissioner to report on the advisability of improving the breed of horses in this country, a subject on which he is said to have written a book; was commissioner for draining and improving Romney Marsh, and became superintendent of the improvements of Dover harbour. At the time of the Spanish Armada he was appointed chief of the Kentish force which assembled at Northbourne Down. He equipped four thousand men himself within a day of receiving his orders from the privy council. Renowned for his hospitality and public spirit, he died on 30 Dec. 1594, and was buried at Brabourne. The offer of the parish of Ashford to bury him in the parish church free of expense was declined. A long biographical elegy, which has been attributed to his cousin Reginald, is extant (Peck, Collection of Curious Pieces, vol. iii.; Scott, Memorials of the Scot Family; Reginald Scot, Discovery, ed. Nicholson, pp. xv–xvii). He married three times. By his first wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Baker of Sissinghurst, he had six sons and three daughters; this lady's sister married Thomas Sackville, lord Buckhurst [q. v.] In 1583 Scott married, secondly, Elizabeth, daughter of Ralph Heyman of Somerfield; she died in 1595 without issue. His third wife was Dorothy, daughter of John Bere of Horsman's Place, Dartford. Scot was this lady's fourth husband; he had no issue by her (Scott, Memorials of the Family of Scot of Scot's Hall, 1876, pp. 194–206, with portrait and will).
- Sir Thomas Scott's second son, Sir John Scott (1570–1616), was knighted in the Low Countries by Lord Willoughby, under whom he served as captain of a band of lancers (1588). He commanded a ship in the expedition of 1597 to the Azores; in 1601 he was implicated, but not fatally, in the Essex rising. From 1604 till 1611 he was M.P. for Kent, and in 1614 he sat for Maidstone. On 9 March 1607 he became a member of the council for Virginia, and on 23 May 1609 a councillor of the Virginia Company of London; to the former he subscribed 75l. He died on 24 Sept. 1616, and was buried in Brabourne church, Kent. He was twice married: first, to Elizabeth Stafford, a descendant of the Duke of Buckingham (beheaded in 1521); and, secondly, to Catherine, daughter of Thomas Smith, the customer, and widow of Sir Rowland Hayward. Dekker in 1609 dedicated his ‘Phœnix’ to her and her father.
- The last Scott who occupied Scot's Hall was Francis Talbot Scott (1745–1787), apparently fifth in descent from Sir Edward Scott (d. 1644), fifth son of Sir Thomas (1535–1594). On Francis Talbot Scott's death the estate was sold to Sir John Honywood of Evington. The old mansion was pulled down in 1808. There are many living representatives of the various branches of the family. The estates of Orlestone and Nettlestead were alienated in 1700.
- [Scott's Memorials of the Family of Scott of Scot's Hall (which is at many points inaccurate); Weever's Funeral Mon. 1631, p. 269; Douglas's Peerage of Scotland, ‘Athol;’ Hasted's Kent, ed. 1790, iii. 292; Foss's Lives of the Judges; Dugdale's Chron. Ser. pp. 42, 43; Abbrev. Rot. Orig. ii. 99, 179; Paston Letters, ed. Gairdner; Metcalfe's Book of Knights; Cal. Rot. Pat. p. 134; Lyon's Dover Castle, ii. 244, 245; Letters and Papers, Henry VIII; Rymer's Fœdera, 1st edit. xi. 590–1, 599, 737–59, 778, xiv. 407–8; The French Chronicle of London (Camden Soc.), p. 87; Rutland Papers (Camden Soc.), pp. 72, 73; Chronicle of Calais (Camden Soc.), pp. 8, 15; Three Fifteenth-Century Chronicles (Camden Soc.), p. 157; Hist. MSS. Comm. 9th Rep. App. p. 138; Brown's Genesis of United States, esp. pp. 996–7; Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1599–1616; and information from C. R. Beazley, esq. Valuable notes have been supplied by Edmund Ward Oliver, esq.]
- From: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Scott,_William_(d.1350)_(DNB00)
- DICTIONARY OF NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY(SCOFFIN-SHEARES) (1897)
- SCOTT or SCOT, REGINALD or REYNOLD (1538 ?-1599), writer against the belief in witches, was son of Richard Scot, second son of Sir John Scot (d. 1633) of Scots Hall in Smeeth, Kent [see under SCOTT, SIR WILLIAM d. 1350]. His mother was Mary, daughter of George Whetenall, sheriff of Kent in 1527. The father died before 1544, and his widow remarried Fulk Onslow, clerk of the parliament ; dying on 8 Oct. 1582, she was buried in the church of Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Reginald or Reynold (as he signed his name in accordance with contemporary practice) was born about 1538. On 16 Dec. 1554 his uncle, Sir Reginald Scot, died and included him in the entail of his family estate in default of his own issue, but this disposition was without practical result, Next year, when about seventeen, he entered Hart Hall, Oxford, but left the university without a degree. His writings attest some knowledge of law, but he is not known to have joined any inn of court. Marrying in 1568, he seems to have spent the rest of his life in his native county. His time was mainly passed as an active country gentleman, managing property which he inherited from his kinsfolk about Smeeth and Brabourne, or directing the business affairs of his first cousin, Sir Thomas Scot, who proved a generous patron, and in whose house of Scots Hall he often stayed [see SCOTT, SIR WILLIAM, d. 1350, ad fin.] He was collector of subsidies for the lathe of Shepway in 1586 and 1587, and he was doubtless the Reginald Scot who acted in 1588 as a captain of untrained foot-soldiers at the county muster. He was returned to the parliament of 1588-9 as member for New Romney, and he was probably a justice of the peace. He describes himself as 'esquire' in the title-page of his 'Discoverie,' and is elsewhere designated 'armiger.' He witnessed the will of his cousin Sir Thomas on 27 Dec. 1594, and made his own will (drawing it with his own hand) on 15 Sept. 1599. He died at Smeeth on 9 Oct. following, and was doubtless buried in the church there. He married at Brabourne, on 11 Oct. 1568, Jane Cobbe of Cobbes Place, in the parish of Aldington. By her he had a daughter Elizabeth, who married Sackville Turner of Tablehurt, Sussex. Subsequently Scot married a second wife, a widow named Alice Collyar, who had a daughter Mary by her former husband. His small properties about Brabourne, Aldington, and Romney Marsh he left to his widow. The last words of his will run : 'Great is the trouble my poor wife hath had with me, and small is the comfort she hath received at my hands, whom if I had not matched withal I had not died worth one groat.'
- Scot wrote two books, each in its own department of high practical value, and indicating in the author exceptional enlightenment. In 1574 he published his 'Perfect Platform of a Hop-garden, and necessary instructions for the making and maintainance thereof, with Notes and Rules for Reformation of all Abuses.' The work, which is dedicated to Serjeant William Lovelace of Bethersden, is the first practical treatise on hop culture in England; the processes are illustrated by woodcuts. Scot, according to a statement of the printer, was out of London while the work was going through the press, A second edition, 'now newly
- corrected and augmented,' appeared in 1576, and a third in 1578.
- More noticeable and no less useful was Scot's 'The Discoverie of Witchcraft, wherein the Lewde dealing of Witches and Witchmongers is notablie detected, in sixteen books . , . whereunto is added a Treatise upon the Nature and Substance of Spirits and Devils,' 1584. At the end of the volume the printer gives his name as William Brome.
- There are four dedications one to Sir Roger Manwood, chief baron of the exchequer, another to Scot's cousin, Sir Thomas Scot, a third jointly to John Coldwell [q. v.], dean of Rochester (afterwards bishop of Salisbury), and William Redman [q. v.], archdeacon of Canterbury (afterwards bishop of Norwich), and a fourth 'to the readers.' Scott enumerates no less than 212 authors whose works in Latin he had consulted, and twenty-three authors who wrote in English, The names in the first list include many Greek and Arabic writers ; among those in the second are Bale, Fox, Sir Thomas More, John Record, Barnabe Googe, Abraham Fleming, and William Larnbarde, But Scot's information was not only derived from books. He had studied the superstitions respecting witchcraft in courts of law in country districts, where the prosecution of witches was unceasing, and in village life, where the belief in witchcraft flourished in an endless number of fantastic forms. With remarkable boldness and an insight that was far in advance of his age, he set himself to prove that the belief in witchcraft and magic was rejected alike by reason and religion, and that spiritualistic manifestations were wilful impostures or illusions due to mental disturbance in the observers. He wrote with the philanthropic aim of staying the cruel persecution which habitually pursued poor, aged, and simple persons, who were popularly credited with being witches. The maintenance of the superstition he laid to a large extent at the door of the Roman catholic church, and he assailed with much venom credulous writers like Jean Bodin (1530-1596), author of 'Demonomie des Sorciers' (Paris, 1580), and Jacobus Sprenger, joint-author of 'Malleus Maleficarum' (Nuremberg, 1494). Of Cornelius Agrippa (1486-1535) and John Wier (1515-1588), author of 'De Praestigiis Demonum' (Basle, 1566), whose liberal views he adopted, he invariably spoke with respect. Scot performed his task so thoroughly that his volume became an exhaustive encyclopaedia of contemporary beliefs about witchcraft, spirits, alchemy, magic, and legerdemain. Scot only fell a victim to contemporary superstition in his references to medicine and astrology. He believed in the medicinal value of the unicorn's horn, and thought that precious stones owed their origin to the influence of the heavenly bodies.
- Scot's enlightened work attracted wide-spread attention. It did for a time 'make great impressions on the magistracy and clergy' (ADY). Gabriel Harvey, in his 'Pierce's Supererogation,' 1593 (ed. Grosart, ii. 291), wrote : ' Scotte's discoovery of Witchcraft dismasketh sundry egregious impostures, and in certaine principall chapters, and speciall passages, hitteth the nayle on the head with a witnesse ; howsoever I could have wished he had either dealt somewhat more curteously with Monsieur Bondine [i.e. Bodin], or confuted him somewhat more effectually.' The ancient belief was not easily uprooted, and many writers came to its rescue. After George Gifford (d. 1620) [q. v.], in two works published respectively in 1587 and 1593, and William Perkins (1558-1602) [q. v.] had sought to confute Scot, James VI of Scotland repeated the attempt in his ' Daemonologie' (1597), where he described the opinions of Wier and Scot as 'damnable.' On his accession to the English throne James went a step further, and ordered all copies of Scot's 'Discoverie' to be burnt (cf. GISBERT VOET, Selectarum Disputationum Theologicarum Pars Tertia, Utrecht, 1659, p. 564). John Rainolds [q. v.] in 'Censura Librorum Apocryphorum' (1611), Richard Bernard in 'Guide to Grand Jurymen' (1627), Joseph Glanvill [q.v.] in 'Philosophical Considerations touching Witches and Witchcraft' (1666), and Meric Casaubon in 'Credulity and Uncredulity' (1668) continued the attack on Scot's position, which was defended by Thomas Ady in 'A Treatise concerning the Nature of Witches and Witchcraft' (1656), and by John Webster in 'The Displaying of Supposed Witchcraft' (1677). More interesting is it to know that Shakespeare drew from his study of Scot's book hints for his picture of the witches in 'Macbeth,' and that Middleton in his play of the 'Witch' was equally indebted to the same source.
- Abroad the book met with a good reception. A translation into Dutch, edited by Thomas Basson, an English stationer living at Leyden, appeared there in 1609. It was undertaken on the recommendation of the professors, and was dedicated to the university curators and the burgomaster of Leyden. A second edition, published by G. Basson, the first editor's son, was printed at Leyden in 1637.
- In 1651 the book was twice reissued in
- London in quarto by Richard Cotes; the two issues slightly differ from each other in the imprint on title-page. Another reissue was dated 1654. A third edition in folio, dated 1665, included nine new chapters, and added a second book to 'The Discourse on Devils and Spirits.' In 1886 Dr. Brinsley Nicholson [q. v.] edited a good reprint of the first edition of 1584, with the additions of that of 1665.
- [Dr. Brinsley Nicholson's Introduction to his reprint of the Discoverie of Witchcraft (1886) ; Wood's Athenae Oxon. ed. Bliss, i. 679 ; Scott's Memorials of the Scot family of Scots Hall, 188-90; Retrospective Review, v. 87-136; information kindly given by Edmund Ward Oliver, esq.] S.L.
- THIS REFERENCE HAS THE WRONG INFORMATION FOR RICHARD SON OF JOHN AND ANN. THEY HAVE HIM MIXED UP WITH RICHARD SCOTT WHO WAS THE FATHER OF ANN WHO MARRIED JOHN FROST, THE SON OF RICHARD SCOTT.
- John Scott1
- M, #333663, b. 1480, d. 1534
- Last Edited=26 Jan 2009
- John Scott was born in 1480 at Scotts Hall, Smeeth, Kent, England.1 He married Ann Pympe, daughter of Reynold Pympe and Elizabeth Pashley, on 22 November 1506 at Thevegate, Smeeth, Kent, England.1 He died in 1534 at Brabourne, Cokent, England.1
- Child of John Scott and Ann Pympe
- 1.Richard Scott+1 b. 1508
- 1.[S3587] Unknown compiler, compiler, "re: Gray Family"; Ancestral File (30 January 2009), unknown repository, unknown repository address. Hereinafter cited as "re: Gray Family."
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p33367.htm#i333663
Knight of Goring and West Dean, Sussex.
King Henry VIII's bodyguard, 1515-1518
Knighted by Prince Castille around 1520
Sheriff of Kent in 1528
Sir John Scott born either 1480 or 1485 to Sir William Scott (1459-1524) and Sybil (Sybilla) Lewknor (1463-1527). He was knighted by the Young Prince Charles (later Emperor Charles V) for gallantry displayed in the campaign of 1511 in the Low Countries against the Duke of Guelders (Sir Edward Poynings). He entered the retinue of George Neville, Lord Abergavenny, Constable of Dover Castle, and had charge of the transport service on the landing of Charles V at Dover on 28 May 1522. He was High Sheriff of Kent in 1527, and died 7 Oct 1533. By marriage with Anne Pympe, daughter of Reginald Pympe (said to be descended from John Gower, the poet), his successors acquired the manor of Nettlestead, Kent. Their issue was, besides several daughters, three sons - William (d 1536 s.p.), Reginald, and Richard (who was father of Reginald - d 1599 - author of "The Discovery of Witchcraft").
Sir John Scott, Sr., High Sheriff of Kent's Timeline
Scott's Hall, Smeeth, East Ashford, Kent, England
Smeeth, Kent, England
Scott's Hall, Kent, England, United Kingdom
Hall Scotts, Kent, England
Scott's Hall, Smeeth, Kent, England
Scotts Hall, Brabourne, Kent, England
Scotts Hall, Brabourne, Kent, England
Scotts Hall, Brabourne, Kent, England