James Harrington, Kt.
|Birthplace:||Wolfage, Northamptonshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Wolfage, Northamptonshire, England|
Son of William Harrington and Elizabeth Pilkington
|Managed by:||Sherry Cadenhead Klein|
About Sir James Harrington, Kt.
- Sir James Harington1,2
- M, b. 1448, d. 26 June 1497
- Father Sir William Harington b. c 1422, d. 12 Aug 1487
- Mother Elizabeth Pilkington
- Sir James Harington was born in 1448 at of Old Hall, Lancashire, Wolfage & Brixworth, Northamptonshire, England; Age 40 in 1488. He married Isabella Radcliffe, daughter of Sir Alexander Radcliffe and Agnes Harington, circa 1466; There were 10 daughters.3,2 Sir James Harington died on 26 June 1497.
- Family Isabella Radcliffe d. 20 Jun 1497
- Agnes Harrington+3,4 d. c 1493
- Elizabeth Harington+3 b. c 1467
- Alice Harington+ b. c 1478, d. a 1537
- Anne Harrington+5,2 b. c 1480, d. a 16 Aug 1528
- 1.[S10306] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. XII/2, p. 246; Ancestral Roots of 60 Colonists, by Weis, 6th Ed., p. 41; Burke's Commoners, Vol. II, p. 66.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 120.
- 3.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, SLC Archives.
- 4.[S11576] A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland, and Scotland, by John Burke, Esq. and John Bernard Burke, Esq., p. 20.
- 5.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 291.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1108.htm#i33262
- James HARRINGTON of Wolfege (Sir Knight)
- Died: 19 Nov 1498
- Notes: knighted at the coronation of Henry VII in 1485.
- Father: William HARRINGTON (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Elizabeth PILKINGTON
- Married: Isabella RADCLIFFE 1464, Westleigh, Lancashire, England
- 1. Agnes HARRINGTON
- 2. William HARRINGTON
- 3. Elizabeth HARRINGTON (b. ABT 1467)
- 4. Alice HARRINGTON
- 5. Eleanor HARRINGTON
- 6. Joan (Jennet) HARRINGTON
- 7. Margaret HARRINGTON
- 8. Catherine HARRINGTON
- 9. Isabel HARRINGTON
- 10. Anne HARRINGTON
- 11. Clemence HARRINGTON
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/HARRINGTON.htm#James HARRINGTON of Wolfege (Sir Knight)1
- A genealogical and heraldic history of the commoners of Great ..., Volume 4
- Pg. 30
- ROGER HULTON, esq. of Hulton Park, m. Katharine, daughter and heir of Sir James Harrington, and by her, who was living a widow 29th September, 16th HENRY VII., had three sons* and one daughter, Emma, m. to Richard Parr, of Kempsnough. .....
- Pg. 401
- ALEXANDER RADCLYFFE, esq. of Ordshall, who m. Agnes, daughter of Sir William Harrington, knt. of Hornby Castle, in Lancashire, and by her, who died in 1490, had issue,
- I. WILLIAM, his heir.
- II. Robert, who m. Elizabeth, third daughter and co-heir of John Radclyffe, esq. of Catherton, and acquired with her the estate of FOXDENTON, in Lancashire. He left, at his decease, inter alios, a daughter, Anne, m. to Ralph Leycester, of Toft, in Cheshire, and a son, ....
- III. Alexander, living 4 HENRY VII. m. Anne Travers, and was ancestor of the Radclyffe, of Bucks, Middlesex, &c. He d. in 1470
- IV. Thomas.
- V. John.
- I. Isabel, m. to Sir James Harriington, knt. of Wolfege, in Northamptonshire, and had, with other issue, Margaret, seventh daughter and co-heir, wife of Christopher Hulton, esq. and mother of an only daughter and heir, Jane Hulton, who m. Roger Ashawe, esq. of the Hall-on-the-Hill, and had ....
- II. Katherine, m. to Thomas Davenport, esq. of Henbury, in Cheshire.
- III. Anne, m. to John Talbot, esq. of Salesbury, in Lancashire.
- Alexander Radclyffe d. in 1476, and was s. by his eldest son,
- WILLIAM RADCLYFFE, esq. of Ordshall, who m. Jane, daughter of Sir Edmund Trafford, knt. of Trafford and by her, who wedded secondly, James Byron, of Clayton, and thirdly, Talbot, of Salesbury had issue, .....
- A genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry of Great ..., Volume 2 By Sir Bernard Burke
- Pg. 1301
- RALPH DE STANDISH of Standish, who m. 1497, Alice, dau. and co-heir of Sir James Harrington, Knt. of Wolfage, co. Northampton, and had issue. He d. 1538, aged 80, and was s. by his son, ....
- ' "Of sceptred race,"
- Pg. 188
- AGNES HARRINGTON, who died in 1490, married Alexander Radclyffe, Esq., of Ordsall, Their daughter,
- ISABELLA RADLYFFE, married Sir James Harrington, of Wolfage, Northamptonshire, and a daughter of this marriage,
- ALICE HARRINGTON, married Ralph de Standish, in 1497, who died in 1538, at the age of eighty. This Ralphe de Standish, was a son of Sir Alexander de Standish and his wife, Sibella de Bold, married about 1461. Sibella de Bold was a daughter of Sir Henry de Bold, who was lineally descended from Gilbert, fourth Baron of Kendal; this Gilbert being eighth in descent from Ethelfleda, a daughter of Alfred the Great. Hence, through the marriage of Alice Harring and Ralphe de Standish, their descendants, as represented in this chapter, have double line of descent from Alfred the Great. A son of Alice Harrington and her husband Ralphe de Standish, was ....
- Pg. 329
- RALPH STANDISH, married Alice Harrington, daughter of Sir James Harrington. She was a great-grand-daughter of Sir William Harrington and his wife, Margaret Neville. Through the illustious Neville line, she descended from Alfred the Great. Hence through the marriage of Alice Harrington and Ralph Standish, a double royal line is given their descendants. ....
- The origin of the tenure by the Bradshagh family of a fourth part of the manor of Westleigh has not been ascertained. Roger de Bradshagh (fn. 55) gave lands here to his son John, about the year 1250, a date suggested by the witnesses' names, one of whom was Adam de Westleigh. (fn. 56) Besides John, afterwards of Westleigh, Roger had issue, William, who married Mabel la Norrise, and had with her the manors of Haigh and Blackrod, (fn. 57) and Adam, perhaps ancestor of the Bradshaghs of Aspull. (fn. 58) John de Bradshagh had issue two sons, Richard (fn. 59) and William. Richard had Westleigh by inheritance from his father and Blackrod under a settlement made in 1337 by Mabel de Bradshagh; William had Haigh under a similar settlement. (fn. 60) Richard had issue Roger, who is named with his wife in the settlement of 1337. (fn. 61) Hugh their son married Margaret daughter and heir of John de Verdon of Brixworth, county Northants, who immediately after her husband's death in August, 1383, (fn. 62) married John son and heir of Roger de Pilkington. (fn. 63) In 1385 William son and heir of Hugh and Margaret, being under age, was committed to the care of Henry de Bradshagh, who was to pay £80 within eight years for wardship of the heir's lands in Westleigh and Blackrod. (fn. 64) At the death of Sir William Bradshagh, chr., in 1415, he and Joan his wife were seised of this manor, and held it of the king in chief as of his duchy of Lancaster by knight's service and 6d. perannum. It was worth £20 beyond reprises. Elizabeth wife of Richard Harrington son of James Harrington, knt., was his daughter and heir, then aged thirteen years. (fn. 65) William Harrington, knt., their son, had a dispensation in 1442 to marry Elizabeth daughter of Edmund Pilkington, esq., being within the degrees of consanguinity. (fn. 66) He died in 1488, James Harrington, knt., his son and heir being then forty years of age. (fn. 67)
- Sir James Harrington made his will in 1493 and died in 1497, leaving ten daughters his coheirs. (fn. 68) In the partition of his estates made in 1517 the manor of Westleigh fell to the share of Anne, one of his daughters and coheirs, wife of Sir Richard Stanley (fn. 69) of Hooton, county Chester, knt., Alice wife of Richard Hoghton (fn. 70) and daughter of Sir Thomas Assheton, knt., by Agnes, another daughter and coheir, and Isabel, wife of John Tresham, another daughter and coheir. (fn. 71)
- From: 'Townships: Westleigh', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. 421-426. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41360 Date accessed: 01 June 2012.
- http://www.fintco.demon.co.uk/stanley/ches-hooton.htm#184.108.40.206.2 Sir William Stanley
Sir James Harrington, Kt.'s Timeline
Wolfage, Northamptonshire, England
Westleigh, Lancashire, England
Standish, Lancashire, England
Westleigh, Devon, United Kingdom
Probably Woolfage, Lancashire, England
Westleigh, Lancashire, England
Wolfage, Northamptonshire, England