Matching family tree profiles for Richard le Despencer, Sir, 4th Lord Burghersh
About Richard le Despencer, Sir, 4th Lord Burghersh
Richard le Despenser, 4th Baron Burghersh
Richard le Despenser, 4th Baron Burghersh (1396–1414) was the son and heir of Thomas le Despenser, 1st Earl of Gloucester (1373–1400), by Constance. Constance was a daughter of Edmund Duke of York, fourth surviving son of Edward III, and Isabella of Castile, a daughter of Peter of Castile. He was married to his 2nd cousin Lady Eleanor Neville (a granddaughter of John of Gaunt, a brother of Edmund of York), but died young without leaving issue. His heir was his younger sister Isabel, who married successively Earl of Worcester, and then his cousin, Richard de Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick.
His widow Eleanor, Lady Burghersh remarried to Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland.
- Richard le Despenser1,2,3,4,5,6
- M, #46031, b. 30 November 1396, d. before 16 April 1414
- Father Sir Thomas le Despenser, 1st Earl Gloucester, 5th Lord Despenser, Constable of Gloucester & St. Briavel's Castle7,8,9 b. 22 Sep 1373, d. 16 Jan 1400
- Mother Constance Plantagenet10,8,9 b. c 1374, d. 28 Nov 1416
- Richard le Despenser was born on 30 November 1396.10,1,4 He married Eleanor Neville, daughter of Sir Ralph Neville, 1st Earl Westmoreland, 4th Baron Neville and Joan Beaufort, after 23 May 1412.7,1,2,3,4,5,6 Richard le Despenser died before 16 April 1414 at Merton, Surrey, England; d.s.p.7,1,3,4,6
- Family Eleanor Neville b. 1398, d. c 1473
- 1.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 78.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 249.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 343-344.
- 4.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 455.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 236.
- 6.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 356.
- 7.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. II, p. 427.
- 8.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 76-77.
- 9.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 453-454.
- 10.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. IV, p. 282.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1532.htm#i46031
- Sir Richard le Despenser, 4th Lord Burghersh1
- M, #107426, b. 30 November 1396, d. 7 October 1414
- Last Edited=3 Apr 2011
- Sir Richard le Despenser, 4th Lord Burghersh was born on 30 November 1396.2,3 He was the son of Thomas le Despenser, 1st and last Earl of Gloucester and Constance Langley.1,4 He married Lady Eleanor de Neville, daughter of Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland and Lady Joan de Beaufort, after 23 May 1412.5 He died on 7 October 1414 at age 17 at Merton, Surrey, England, without issue.1 He was buried at Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England.1
- He succeeded to the title of 4th Lord Burghersh [E., 1330] in August 1409.1 He was invested as a Knight, Order of the Bath (K.B.) on 8 April 1413.1
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 427. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 109. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Families.
- 3.[S8] BP1999 volume 1, page 17, says aged 14 in 1414. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S8]
- 4.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families, page 110.
- 5.[S8] BP1999. [S8]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10743.htm#i107426
- Richard le Despenser
- Birth: Nov. 30, 1396, England
- Death: Oct. 7, 1414 Surrey, England
- Son of Thomas le Despenser and Constance Langley. Husband of Lady Eleanor de Neville, married after 23 May 1412. He died without issue. He succeeded to the title of 4th Lord Burghersh in August 1409, and was invested as a Knight, Order of the Bath on 08 April 1413.
- Family links:
- Thomas Le Despencer (1373 - 1400)
- Constance of York (1374 - 1416)
- Eleanor de Neville de Percy (1398 - 1472)
- Richard le Despenser (1396 - 1414)
- Isabel le Despenser (1400 - 1439)*
- Isabel Despencer De Beauchamp (1400 - 1439)*
- Alianore de Holand (1405 - 1452)**
- *Calculated relationship
- Burial: Tewkesbury Abbey, Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury Borough, Gloucestershire, England
- Find A Grave Memorial# 86304492
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=86304492
- The Visitation of the county of Warwick in the year 1619. Taken by William Camden, Clarenceaux king of arms (1877) Vol. 12
- Spencer - CHART Pg.282-285
- Thurstanus le Despensor. = ch: Almericus (m. Eldae' Blewett), Walterus le Despensor.
- Almericus fil. et haer. Dn's de Stanley nupsit Eldae' Blewett.; ch: Phillippus (m. Isabella de Euens), Thurstanus le Despensor.
- Thurstanus le Despensor filius Almerici. = ch: Galfridus le Despensor.
- Galfridus le Despensor miles ob. 1251 et 36 H. 3. = ch: Hugo (m. Alicia Basset), Galfridus (m. Emma _) le Despensor.
- Hugo le Despensor Capitalis Justiciarius Angliae 49 H. 3. occisus apud Euersham. = Alicia filia et haer Phillippi Basset Baronis de Widcombe et relict Rog. Bigot.; ch: Hugo (m. Isabella Beauchamp) le Despensor.
- Hugo le Despensor Comes Wintoniae 18 E. 2 decollatus 19 E. 2. = Isabella fil. Willi Beauchamp Com. Warw.(= Patrick de Cadurcis al's Chaworth primus maritus.); ch: Hugo (m. Elianor de Clare), Isabella (m. Joh'is Hastinges & Rad'i Monthermer), Ada (m. _ St. Amon & Rad'i Camois), Elinor (m. Hugonis Courtney), Elizab. (m. Edm. Burnell) le Despensor.
- Hugo le Despensor Com. Gloucest. creat's 20 E. 2 iure uxoris, decollatus 1326. = Elianor fil. et heres Gilb'ti de Clare Comitis. Glou' et Hertford.; ch: Hugo, Edw. (m. Anna Ferrers), Gilb'tus, Phillipus le Despensor.
- Edw. Dn's Spencer 2 fil. Hugonis le Despensor. = Anna fil. Hen. Dn'i Ferrers; (Pg.284 ch: Edwardus (m. Elizab. Burwash) Despensor)
- Edwardus Dn's Despensor eques Garterij haeres avunculi siu Hugonis. = Elizab. fil. et haer. Bartholmei Burwash militis.; ch: Elizab. (m. Joh'is Matreners.), Tho. (m. Constancia Plantagenet) Despensor.
- Tho. Despensor Comes Gloucest. p. R. 2, 1388, decollatus 1 H. 4. = Constancia fil. Edm. Plantagenet Ducis Eboracensis Illa ob. 1417, et sepultus in Abbatia de Resdinge.; ch: Ricus (m. Ellinora Neuill), Elinora Despensor.
- Ricus Despensor Com. Glouc. ob. s. profle. = Ellinora fil. Radi Neuill Com. Westm. (= Hen. Percie Com. Northumb. 2 maritus.)
- Thomas le Despenser, 1st Earl of Gloucester KG (22 September 1373 – 13 January 1400) was the son of Edward le Despenser, 1st Baron le Despencer, whom he succeeded in 1375.
- A supporter of Richard II against Thomas of Woodstock and the Lords Appellant, he was rewarded with an Earldom as Earl of Gloucester in 1397.
- However, he supported Henry Bolingbroke on his return to England to become King Henry IV, only to be attainted (deprived of his Earldom because of a capital crime) for his role in the death of Thomas of Woodstock.
- He then took part in the Epiphany Rising, a rebellion led by a number of Barons aimed at restoring Richard to the throne by assassinating King Henry IV; this quickly failed when the conspirators were betrayed by Edward of Norwich, 2nd Duke of York to Henry. After fleeing to the western counties, a number of the Epiphany Rising conspirators were captured and killed by mobs of townspeople loyal to the king; Despenser was captured by a mob and beheaded at Bristol on 13 January 1400.
- Thomas le Despenser married Constance, daughter of Edmund of Langley, 1st Duke of York. They had issue, of whom:
- Elizabeth le Despenser (died young c. 1398)
- Richard le Despenser, 4th Baron Burghersh (1396–1414)
- Edward le Despenser (b. bef. 1400), died young
- Hugh le Despenser (c. 1400–1401)
- Isabel le Despenser (1400–1439), she married first Richard Beauchamp, 1st Earl of Worcester, she married second his cousin Richard de Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_le_Despenser,_1st_Earl_of_Gloucester
◦NECESSARY EXPLANATIONS: Husband and wife were married as children.
DEATH: Medieval Lands says that Richard le Despenser died 7 Oct 1416 at age 18, without issue.