Robert Hilton, Kt
|Birthplace:||Holderness, East Riding of Yorkshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Holderness, East Riding of Yorkshire, England|
Son of Sir Robert Hilton, Kt. and Maud de Campania
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Sir Robert Hilton, Kt
About Sir Robert Hilton, Kt
- HILTON, Sir Robert (d.c.1431), of Swine and Winestead in Holderness, Yorks.
- s. and h. of Sir Robert Hilton (d.c.1400) of Swine and Winestead, by his 1st w. Isabel (d. by 1395); e. bro. of Sir Godfrey*. m. Joan (d.1432), da. of Sir Robert Constable*, 2da. Kntd. by Mar. 1401.1
- The Hiltons of Swine belonged to a cadet branch of the baronial family of Hilton, and are known to have settled in Holderness by the early 13th century. One local historian has described them as being ‘hardly less powerful and magnificent than the stately tree from which [they] sprang’; and they certainly exercised considerable influence in the East Riding. Sir Robert Hilton the elder twice became sheriff of Yorkshire as well as sitting as a j.p. He married one of his daughters, Denise, to her kinsman, William, 5th Lord Hilton, thus strengthening the alliance which already existed between them, while for his eldest son, the subject of this biography, he chose a wife from one of the leading families in Holderness. Robert Hilton’s marriage to Joan, the daughter of Sir Robert Constable of Flamborough, followed several years after that of his other sister, Maud, to Constable’s second son, John (d.1407), and it brought the two families even closer together. It also enabled Robert to establish a valuable connexion with the important Lincolnshire landowner, (Sir) Thomas Cumberworth*, whose sister, Katherine, was married to Sir Robert Constable’s son and heir, Sir Marmaduke (d.1404), and who remained on close terms with the Hiltons throughout his life. When Joan died, in 1432, she left Katherine one of her most treasured possessions, unum librum de Romanse incipientem cum Decem Preceptis Alembes.2 .... etc.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/hilton-sir-robert-1431
- HILTON, Sir Godfrey (d.1459), of Irnham, Lincs. and Hooton Pagnell, Yorks.
- yr. s. of Sir Robert Hilton (d.c.1400) of Swine and Winestead in Holderness, Yorks. by his 1st w. Isabel (d. by 1395); bro. of Sir Robert*. m. (1) by May 1416, Hawise (d. 24 Mar. 1422), da. of Sir Andrew Luttrell (d.1389/90) of Irnham and Hooton Paynell, sis. and h. of Sir Geoffrey Luttrell (d.s.p. 1419), wid. of Sir Thomas Beelsby (d. Sept. 1415) of Beelsby, Lincs., 1s. 1da.; (2) by June 1433, Eleanor, da. of John, 5th Lord Welles (1352-1421) by his 1st w. Eleanor, da. of John, 4th Lord Mowbray (1340-68), and wid. of Sir Hugh Poynings (d.v.p. 1426) of Chawton, Hants. Kntd. by 31 Mar. 1421.1
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/hilton-sir-godfrey-1459
- Sir Robert de Hilton1,2,3,4
- M, #57972, d. after 1396
- Father Sir Robert de Hilton
- Mother Maud de Campania2
- Sir Robert de Hilton married Constance Sutton, daughter of Sir Thomas de Sutton, 3rd Lord Sutton in Holderness and Agnes Hotham, before 28 August 1395.5,3,4 Sir Robert de Hilton died after 1396 at of Swine, Lincolnshire, England.2
- Family Constance Sutton d. 9 Jun 1401
- Sir Robert de Hilton, Lord of Swine & Catwike+2 d. 1431
- Denise Hilton+6 d. 31 Jul 1436
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VII, p. 26.
- 2.[S11583] The Wallop Family and Their Ancestry, by Vernon James Watney, p., 432.
- 3.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 387-388.
- 4.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 67-68.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 135-136.
- 6.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VII, p. 27.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1929.htm#i57972
- Sir Robert Hilton1
- M, #189173
- Last Edited=20 Apr 2006
- Sir Robert Hilton lived at Swine, Holderness, Yorkshire, England.1
- Child of Sir Robert Hilton
- 1.Dionis Hilton+1
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 417. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p18918.htm#i189173
- William de Helton (d before 20.04.1208)
- m. Bone (dau of German Tison of Shilbottle)
- 1. Alexander de Hilton of Helton or Hilton
- m. Agnes de Verly (sister of Hugh de Verly)
- A. Robert de Hilton, 1st Lord (d c1310)
- BE1883 (Hilton of Hilton) appears to confuse this Robert de Hilton with Robert de Hilton of Swine (see below) by reporting that he was the one who married Marmaduke de Thweng. TCP (Thweng) reports that this had been suggested by Dugdale, wrongly.
- m. (before 12.1255) Joan (dau of William Le/De Breton of Essex)
- i. Alexander de Hilton of Rennington (dvp c1303)
- m. Elizabeth
- a. Robert de Hilton, 2nd Lord (d c1322)
- m1. Joan
- m2. (before 13.02.1314/5) Ellen (d before 12.04.1339, widow of Walter, Lord Huntercombe)
- (1) Alexander de Hilton, 3rd Lord of Hilton (d c04.1361)
- m1. Alice
- m2. Maud de Emeldon (b c1310, d 08.09.1369, dau of Richard de Emeldon of Embleton and Jesmond)
- (A) Robert de Hilton, 4th Lord of Hilton (d before 27.05.1370)
- m. Alianore de Felton (dau of Sir William de Felton of Edlingham)
- (i) Sir William de Hilton, 5th Lord of Hilton (b c1356, d 25.05.1435)
- m. Denise de Hilton (d 31.07.1436, dau of Sir Robert de Hilton of Swine) @@ below
- (a) Sir Robert Hilton of Hilton (de jure 6th Lord) (d 11.08.1448)
- m1. (before 13.04.1398) Maud de Clifford (d before 16.05.1442, dau of Roger de Clifford, Lord)
- ((1)) William Hilton of Hilton (de jure 7th Lord) (d 13.10.1457) - continued below
- m. (by 01.1438/9) Mary or Mariot Stapilton (dau of William Stapilton of Edenhall)
- m2. (before 22.04.1445) Elizabeth (d 16.08.1450, widow of Sir Bertram Monbocher & others)
- (b) Thomas Hilton
- (c) Margaret Hilton apparently of this generation
- m. Sir Ralph Bulmer of Wilton (b by 1406, d 05.04.1444)
- (ii) Maud Hilton probably of this generation
- m. Sir John Constable
- ii. Sir William de Hilton of Swine and Winestead (d 1290-1)
- The following is supported by VCH (Yorkshire, East Riding volume 7, Swine) though, other than to note that Sir William's widow Maud m2. Sir Robert de Tilliol, VCH does not name any of the wives. Sir William's wife is identified by TCP (Lascelles) as ...
- m. (1288) Maud de Lascelles (d 1343, dau of Roger, Lord Lascelles, m2. Sir Robert de Tilliol)
- a. Sir Robert de Hilton or Hylton of Swine (d c1351)
- (1) Having reference to the dates, it is presumed that this was the Robert (rather than his son) who married Margaret Thweng, sister of Thomas, 4th Lord. TCP (Thweng) identifies Thomas's coheirs as including Margaret's daughter Isabel and John, son of Isabel's sister Maud. There is no mention of Sir Robert Hilton so it is presumed that Sir Robert was not Margaret's son.
- (2) Robert, husband of Margaret Thweng, is sometimes described as though he was a Lord but this appears to have resulted from confusion with either his grandfather or his cousin (above).
- m1/2. ??
- (1) Sir Robert Hilton of Swine (d by 1363)
- m. Maud (a 1363)
- (A) Sir Robert Hilton of Swine (a 1393)
- This was possibly the Sir Robert who was father of Denise. TCP (Hylton) identifies the mother of Denise as Margaret, dau of Sir Thomas de Sutton of Braunsholm Castle and Sutton. However, after noting that this had been modified by TCP (vol xiv) which presumably suggested that his wife's name was Constance rather than Margaret, 'MedieGen' indicates that Denise must have been by an earlier wife.
- m1. ??
- (i) Denise de Hilton (d 31.07.1436)
- m. Sir William de Hilton, 5th Lord of Hilton (b c1356, d 25.05.1435) @@ above
- m2. Constance Sutton (dau of Sir Thomas de Sutton of Braunsholm Castle & Sutton, widow of Piers de Mauley)
- Of this generation but uncertain of which marriage were ....
- (ii) Sir Robert Hilton of Swine (d c1431)
- (a) Elizabeth Hilton (d 1454)
- m.Sir John Melton (b 1415, d 23.10.1474)
- (b) daughter(s)
- (iii) Sir Godfrey Hilton of Swine (d 1459)
- VCH reports that Sir Godfrey, brother of Sir Robert, "seems to have held Swine manor for life". Although this has not been confirmed properly, this appears to have been the Godfrey (d 05.08.1459) who married Hawise Luttrell. The following comes from TCP (Luterel or Luttrell).
- m. Hawise Luttrell (d 24.03.1421/2, sister/heir of Sir Geoffrey Luttrell of Irnham)
- (b) .... etc.
- (iv) Isabel Hilton
- m. Sir Robert Hildyard of Arnall, Normanby, Riston, Winestead (d 1428)
- (v) daughter
- m. Sir Roger Salvayn of Herswell (d 07.03.1422)
- (ii) Sir Robert Hilton of Swine (d c1431)
- m2/1. Margaret de Thweng (dau of Marmaduke de Thweng, 1st Lord, sister of Thomas, 4th Lord)
- (2) .... etc.
- Main source(s): TCP (Hylton or Hilton of Hilton) with some support/input for the lower section from Visitation (Durham, 1575+1615+1666, Hilton)
- From: Stirnet.com
Sir Robert Hilton, Kt's Timeline
Holderness, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Swine, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Holderness, East Riding of Yorkshire, England