About Sir Thomas Beckingham
This is quite possibly our man:-
'House of Commons Journal Volume 1: 22 May 1604
Sir Thomas Beckingham, Knight, Burgess for Sudbury in Suffolk, is this Day licensed to depart; with Commandment to return before the 20th Day of June next.
Tolleshunt Major, or Mauger as it was known at the time, was granted by King Henry VIII to Stephen Beckenham, gentleman, in 1544.
As well as buying up most of the property round about, Stephen built a semi-fortified residence with a turreted gatehouse within a red-brick boundary wall some 130 feet square. The original Beckingham house has gone and replaced by a farmhouse, but the gatehouse with its turrets and boundary wall remain.
The Beckinghams also added a north chapel to the parish church of St Nicholas, and set up kneeling effigies of Stephen Beckingham and his wife, Alvis Terrel, with their heraldic shield. That was completed in 1609, but has since been pulled down and the entrance blocked.
The Beckingham family came from Wiltshire, Stephen’s son Thomas was knighted and died 1633 and his grandson William, aged 12 was heir.