About Sir Thomas Lewknor, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex
During the Wars of the Roses Sir Thomas Lewknor supported the House of Lancaster, and when Richard III of the House of York became king in 1483, a force was despatched to besiege Bodiam Castle. It is unrecorded whether the siege went ahead, but it is thought that Bodiam Castle was surrendered without much resistance. The castle was confiscated, but returned to the Lewknors when Henry VII of the House of Lancaster became king in 1485. Descendants of the Lewknors owned the castle until at least the 16th century. Wikipedia - Bodiam Castle
- 'Sir Thomas Lewkenor, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex, Constable of Bodiam Castle1,2
- 'M, b. between 1438 and 1448, d. 20 July 1484
- Father Sir Roger Lewknor, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex3,2 b. c 1421, d. 4 Aug 1478
- Mother Ellyenor Camoys3,2 b. 1408, d. 1464
- ' Sir Thomas Lewkenor, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex, Constable of Bodiam Castle was born between 1438 and 1448 at of Lockerley, Hampshire, England; Age 30, 34, or 40 in 1478. He married Katherine Pelham, daughter of Sir John Pelham and Joan Courcy, before 1469 at of Chislehampton, Oxfordshire, England; They had 1 son (Sir Roger) and 2 daughters (Katherine, wife of Richard Knatchbull; & Sibyl, wife of Sir William Scott).1,2 Sir Thomas Lewkenor, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex, Constable of Bodiam Castle died on 20 July 1484 at of Stoke Doyle, Northamptonshire, England.1,2
- 'Family Katherine Pelham d. 1481
- ◦Sibyl Lewknor+ b. c 1463
- ◦Sir Roger Lewknor+ b. c 1469, d. 15 Jan 1543
- 1.[S11583] The Wallop Family and Their Ancestry, by Vernon James Watney, p., 613, 488.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 295-296.
- 3.[S11583] The Wallop Family and Their Ancestry, by Vernon James Watney, p., 488.
- 'unknown Lewkenor1
- M, #199719
- Last Edited=9 Jul 2006
- ' unknown Lewkenor is the son of Sir Roger Lewknor and Alianora de Camoys.1
- 'Child of unknown Lewkenor
- 1.Sir Roger Lewkenor+1
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 657. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
Sir Thomas Lewknor, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex's Timeline
Trotton, Sussex, England
Sheffield, Hampshire, England
Trotton, Sussex, England
Trotton, West Sussex, England
Trotton, Sussex, Delaware, USA
July 13, 1484
Stoke Doyle, Northamptonshire, , England
September 5, 1945
March 15, 1946