Matching family tree profiles for William Cunynghame of Kilmaurs, Earl of Carrick
About William Cunynghame of Kilmaurs, Earl of Carrick
- Sir William Cunningham, Earl of Carrick, Sheriff of Ayr1,2,3,4,5
- M, #39750, d. between December 1396 and July 1399
- Father Hugh Cunningham6 d. a 4 Jul 1328
- Sir William Cunningham, Earl of Carrick, Sheriff of Ayr He did NOT marry Eleanor Douglas (widow of Alexander Bruce, 8th Earl of Carrick) or the daughter of Eleanor Douglas.6 He Burke's Extinct Peerages shows different ancestry for him.7 He was born at of Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland.1,2 He married Margaret.6 Sir William Cunningham, Earl of Carrick, Sheriff of Ayr died between December 1396 and July 1399.2,1,6
- Family Margaret d. a 18 Apr 1369
- Thomas Cunningham+1,2 d. a 9 May 1385
- Sir William Cunningham, Sheriff of Ayr, Lord of Kilmaurs+8,3,4,5 d. b 27 Dec 1415
- 1.[S11581] Burke's Dormant & Extinct Peerages, p. 150.
- 2.[S11570] Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry, by Sir Bernard Burke, p. 535.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 573-574.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 566-567.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 651-652.
- 6.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. III, p. 58.
- 7.[S11570] Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry, by Sir Bernard Burke, p. 150.
- 8.[S11566] The Scots Peerage, Vol. IV, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 228-230.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1323.htm#i39750
- William Cunynghame, 1st and last Earl of Carrick1
- M, #207689, d. between December 1396 and July 1399
- Last Edited=2 Jun 2014
- William Cunynghame, 1st and last Earl of Carrick was the son of Hugh Cuninghame.1 He married, secondly, Lady Eleanor Bruce, daughter of Alexander de Bruce, 1st and last Earl of Carrick and Eleanor Douglas.2 He married, firstly, Margaret (?) before 18 April 1369.1 He died between December 1396 and July 1399.1
- He was also known as Sir William de Cuninghame.3 He was created 1st Earl of Carrick [Scotland] on 12 September 1362.1 He resigned as Earl of Carrick, with the title reverting to the Crown circa 1369.1
- Children of William Cunynghame, 1st and last Earl of Carrick and Margaret (?)
- 1.Sir William Cuninghame of Kilmaurs+1
- 2.Thomas Cuninghame, Lord Carrick+3
- 3.Alexander Cuninghame3
- 4.John Cuninghame3
- 5.Robert Cunynghame2
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume III, page 58. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S35] BLG1965 volume 2, page 129. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S35]
- 3.[S37] BP2003 volume 1, page 993. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p20769.htm#i207689
- Origins of the Clan Cunningham in Scotland
- I. Warnebald is the earliest known in the Cunningham line and was a vassal under Hugh de Morville, constable of Scotland, about the middle of the twelfth century; from from which he obtained land in Cunninghame in the vicinity of Kilmaurs. The name of Warnebald is evidently Gothic, and may indicate a Danish descent. Nowhere is records does he appear to have used a surname. He was succeeded by his eldest son,
- II. Robert de Cunynghame de Kilmaurs. Robert de Cunynghame de Kilmaurs is possibly the same Robert who married a Richenda Barclay or Berkeley. This Robert de Cunynghame is the one who gave the patronage of the Chruch of Kilmaurs to the Abbey of Kelso. He was succeeded by his son,
- III. Robert de Cunynghame de Kilmaurs. He had three sons: 1. Robert; 2. William; 3. Sir James. Of the last two there is no descent now known. The eldest son, Robert, appears to have succeeded him.
- IV. Robert de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs is shown as son and heir of Robert Cunninghame Lord of Kilmaurs, in a donation to the Abbey of Paisley, about the year 1240; which corresponds, in time, as a successor to the preceding. His son was,
- V. Hervey de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs, who participated at the battle of Largs against the Danes in 1263 and was granted a charter in 1264 for his gallant service. He died before 1268. He married the heiress of Riddele of Glengarnock, by whom he had two sons: 1. Galfridus - the second son, was ancestor of the Cunninghames of Glengarnock. His eldest son,
- VI. Sir William Cunynghame succeeded him in Kilmaurs. He appears in records dated 1269 and 1275 and died in 1285. He was succeeded by his son,
- VII. Edward Cunynghame of Kilmaurs appears in a record in 1290. His second son, Richard, was ancestor of the Cunninghames of Polmaise—a family not now known by that name. His eldest son,
- VIII. Gilbert Cunynghame of Kilmaurs was one of Robert Bruce's nominees in the competition with Balliol. He was succeeded by his eldest son,
- IX. Sir Robert Cunynghame of Kilmaurs. He swore fealty to Edward I. in 1296, but afterwards changed and joined with Bruce, and was rewarded by him with some valuable lands in the parish of Kilmaurs—part of the spoils of the Balliol party. His second son, Andrew, was ancestor of the Cunninghames of Ballindalloch, Drumquhassel, Balbougie, Banton, &c. He died about the year 1330, and was succeeded by his eldest son,
- X. Sir William Cuninghame of Kilmaurs. He appears in several records, as in 1350, 1354 and 1364. He married Eleanor Bruce countess of Carrick; and in her right was created Earl of Carrick; by this lady he had no issue; by a former marriage he had three sons. His third son, Thomas, was ancestor of the Cunninghames of Caprington. The eldest son predeceased him, without issue. He was succeeded by the second son,
- XI. Sir William Cuninghame of Kilmaurs, who acquired a great addition to the family estate, by marriage with Margaret, the eldest co-heir of Sir Robert Danielstoun. His part of that vast property was the lands or baronies of Danielstoun and Finlaystoun, in Renfrewshire; Kilmarnock, in Dunbartonshire; Redhall and Colintoun, in Midlothian; together with Glencairn, in Dumfrieshire, afterwards the chief title of the family. He died in 1418. His second son, William, was ancestor of Cunninghamhead. His third son, Henry, appears in 1417 in a transaction at Irvine. He was succeeded by his eldest son,
- XII. Sir Robert Cuninghame of Kilmaurs. He married in 1425, Anne, the only daughter of Sir John de Montgomery of Ardrossan, by whom he had two sons. The second son, Archibald, was the first of the Cunninghames of Waterstoun, a family now extinct. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Alexander Cunningham, the first Earl of Glencairn.
- From: http://www.clancunninghamintl.org/history.htm
- Clan Cunningham is a Scottish clan. .... etc.
- .... The first of the name was Warnebald or his son, Robertus, who received a grant for the land of Cunningham between 1160 and 1180. There is a story that states that Malcolm who was the son of Friskin, obtained the lands from Malcolm III of Scotland after he had sheltered him under hay in a barn and this is said to have given rise to the family's coat of arms which is of a shake-fork, as well as the motto Over fork over. Sir George Mackenzie states however that the coat of arms are alluded to the office of Master of the King's Stables. Another theory is that the Cunninghams were great allies of the Clan Comyn, whose shield bore sheaves of corn and that when the great Comyn dynasty was overthrown by the Clan Bruce, the Cunninghams adopted the shake-fork that is used to fork over sheaves of corn, therefore being a reference to their former allies.
- The Cunninghams were certainly well settled in the parish of Kilmaurs by the end of the thirteenth century. The son of the Laird of Kilmaurs was Hervy de Cunningham who fought for Alexander III of Scotland at the Battle of Largs in 1263 against the Norse invaders. The following year he received a charter from the king confirming all of his lands.
- Wars of Scottish Independence
- During the Wars of Scottish Independence the Cunninghams were supporters of the Bruces in their fight for Scottish independence. However prior to this their name appears in the Ragman Rolls, swearing fealty to Edward I of England in 1296. Bruce being generous to his supporters and after his victory the lands of Lamburgton were added to that of Kilmaurs in 1319 by royal charter. Sir William Cunningham of Kilmaurs was amongst the Scottish nobleman offered as a hostage to David II of Scotland's English captors in 1354. Sir William's eldest son, also named William, married Margaret, daughter of Sir Robert Denniston of that Ilk and acquired through her substantial lands including Glen Cairn and Finlayston in Renfrewshire.
- 15th and 16th century and clan conflicts
- Sir William Cunningham's grandson was created Lord Kilmaurs in 1462 and then later Earl of Glencairn. One of his younger brothers was the ancestor of the Cunningham of Caprington branch of the clan who later achieved their own prominence. Other distinguished branches of the clan are the Cunninghams of Cunninghamhead, the Cunninghams of Aitket, te Cunninghams of Robertland and the Cunninghams of Corsehill.
- In 1488 the Clan Montgomery burned down the Clan Cunningham's Kerelaw Castle. This was part of a century-long feud that had apparently started when the office of Baillie in Cuninghame, held by the Cunninghams, was awarded to the son of Lord Montgomerie on 31 January 1448-9. The two clans had been on opposing sides at the Battle of Sauchieburn, with Hugh Montgomery among the victorious rebels, and Alexander Cunningham, 1st Earl of Glencairn slain with the defeated James III. A longstanding rivalry (principally over the Bailieship of Cunninghame) was now a vendetta. .... etc.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Cunningham
- Lambroughton is a village in the old Barony of Kilmaurs, North Ayrshire, Scotland. This is a rural area famous for its milk and cheese production and the Ayrshire or Dunlop breed of cattle.
- The surname and place name both appear to be derived from that of the clan McLamroch. Only a handful of people in Great Britain have that name today. The Scottish Genealogical Society refer to a family tree which derives the McLamroch's from the Cunnigham (Cunningham) family. McLandsborough, Landsborough, Landsburgh, Lamroch, Lamrochton, Lamrock, Lamberton are all variants. .... etc.
- The origins of the name Cunninghame
- Robertson states that the name is variously described as originating from the Danish appellation 'King's House' or the Gaelic Cuineag, a 'milkchurn'. In this context Pont in 1604 records that the parishes of Dunlop and Stewarton produced very significant amounts of butter, with "One aker of ground heir zeilding more butter then 3 akers of ground in aney ye nixt adiacent countreyes."
- Another possibility stated by McNaught is that the name derives from the coney or rabbit country. This is not as unlikely as it might sound, for Hart-Davis points out that no Anglo-Saxon or Celtic word for 'rabbit' exists and no mention is made of them in the Domesday Book of 1086, also 'coneys' were adults and the term rabbits was only used for the young. The Normans, such as Warnebald, introduced the species for their meat and fur. They were either kept in warrens within stone walls or kept on small islands, such as on Little Cumbrae. Only later did they escape into the wild and become a successful member of the British fauna. Black rabbits were especially valued for their fur. Significantly a pair of coneys are the supporters on the Earls of Glencairns coat of arms. Mackenzie also sees the name as coming from either Coning, a rabbit or Cyning, a king; preferring King as denoting a Royal manor during the Anglo-Saxon sovereignty over Galloway. The use of a pictorial rhyming pun is called a rebus and is very common on coats of arms. A Charter of the time of Mary, Queen of Scots, refers to Eglinton's 'cunningaries,' Scots for rabbit-warrens.
- Another theory is that the name derives from that of Cunedda ap Edern who lived in the mid 5th. Century. The Latin form of his name is Cunetacius and the English is Kenneth. He is also known as Cunedda Wledig ('the Imperator') as he was an important early Welsh or Brythonic leader, originally from the area known as Manau Goddin with its capital at Dunedin or as it is now known, Edinburgh. He was a famous leader and the progenitor of the royal dynasty of Gwynedd. His name 'Cunedda' derives from the Brythonic word counodagos, meaning 'good lord'. He drove the Irish out of North Wales and left behind a reputation which has become bound up in myth and legend.
- By the early 13th century the family had taken the surname of Cunynghame now Cunninghame. Paterson, a man brought up at Struthers Farm in Kilmarnock parish, argues that the original name was Cunigham and that local people pronounced it that way until relatively recently. McNaught in 1912 confirms this and states that the name all over Scotland is still pronounced "Kinikam". A "cunningar" is Scots for a rabbit-warren and a variant place name is 'Kinniker'. Cunninghamhead Moss was still referred to as Kinnicumheid Moss in the 18th century. The Gaelic pronunciation of Cunninghame could also be taken as sounding not unlike "Kinikam".
- Robertson points out that the various branches of the family spell their name differently; as Cunninghame for Glencairn and Corsehill, Cuninghame for Caddel and Monkredding, Cunningham for Baidland and Clonbeith and finally Cuningham for Glengarnock. It is said by Chalmers in his Caledonia as quoted by McNaught, that the settlement of Kilmaurs was known as Conygham until it was changed sometime in the 13th century.
- The modern view is that the name Kilmaurs is derived from the Gaelic Cil Mor Ais, meaning Hill of the Great Cairn. Kilmaurs was known as the hamlet of Cunninghame until the 13th century.
- The Cunningham family's connection with Lambroughton
- The earliest reference to the use of the Lambroughton name in any form of personal context seems to be that of a Gulielmus (William) de Lambristoune who was a witness to a charter conveying the lands of Pokellie (Pokelly) from Sir Gilchrist More to a Ronald Mure at a date around 1280. We do not know if this Guilielmus was a Cunninghame, however we are told by Timothy Pont the cartographer and topographer in the early 17th century that Lambrouchtoune was the ancientest inheritance of the predecessors of the Cunninghames of Glencairne. Kennedy records that Lambroughton was part of the dowry of a grand-daughter of the High Constable.
- The Barony of Kilmaurs was composed of the lands of Buston, also Bowieston and Buythstoun (now Buiston), Fleuris (now Floors), Lambroughton, Whyrrig, (now Wheatrig) and previously Quhytrige, and Southwick or Southuck (now South Hook). South Hook (previously also Southeuck or Seurnbenck) is near Knockentiber and was part of the tenement of Lambroughton within the barony, showing that the lands of Lambroughton were fairly sizeable at one time.
- King Alexander II (1198–1249) gave the whole barony of Kilmaurs to Henry de Conyghame and then it is recorded that all the lands of Cunyngham were granted to a Robert Stuart, son of Walter (before 1321).
- The Barony was originally held by the powerful De Morville family who were related to John Baliol through his mother, Devorgilla, a daughter of the De Morville family and the founder of Sweetheart Abbey in Kirkcudbright. Another view is that Devorgilla was the daughter of Alan of Galloway and was not a de Morville. However her nieces Margaret and Elena (Ela), married into the de Ferrers and de la Zouche families, related to the De Quinceys, Earls of Winchester from whom the Lambrochtoun lands may have been inherited. It is pertinent to point out that lineage and relationships are made more difficult by the not infrequent habit of indirect male heirs assuming the names and titles of their indirect family inheritances. The De Morville's were also related to another claimant for the Scottish crown, John Comyn. John Baliol's nephew. Bruce and his supporters murdered John Comyn in the church at Dumfries. Baliol lost the crown to Robert the Bruce, who ruled from 1306–1329, then rewarded his loyal supporters, the Cunninghames, by granting the lands of Lambrachton and Polquharne (also Polcarn) to a Hugo de Cunynghame of Lambroughton who died without issue and in 1321 the king then gave the lands of Lambrachton and Grugere to Robertus de Conyngham of Kilmaurs. This Robert was then known as Robert de Cunninghame of Lambroughton.
- The importance of the tenement is illustrated by the efforts made by dispossessed lords to recover them and by fact that William Cunninghame of Lamberton (see 'Lamberton in the Scottish Borders') (1297–1328) was Bishop of St.Andrews in 1322 and he was the 'Guardian of Scotland' for a time during the inter-regnum when Cumyn, Baliol, Bruce and others were disputing the crown of Scotland. At the battle of Bannockburn he never failed his younger friend, indeed, it was he who observed the crucial moment in battle where the Scots, greatly outnumbered, were beginning to flag. It was at that point he decided to take a hand and leaving the safety of the Scots baggage train, he led the charge of the 'small folk'—women, old men and others who had been injured or otherwise excluded from the fighting—armed with sticks, kitchen knives, meat cleavers, indeed, anything they could lay their hands on—to the aid of the flagging Scots. It was this crucial intervention which finally turned the battle. From a distance, the English mistook them for a fresh army, and the sheets and blankets they had tied to poles to be banners and flags. In that moment, the Battle of Bannockburn was won.
- William was also charged with the responsibility for disbanding the Knight's Templars in Scotland and probably allowed them to escape gaol and execution in exchange for finance, weapons and other assistance against the English. He died in 1328 and was buried at St. Andrews.
- King Robert III (1340–1406) granted the lands of Lambrochton and Kilmaurs to Sir William Cuninghame. Robert Stewart, first Duke of Albany (Brother of King Robert III) later granted these lands to Robert Cuninghame. In 1413 Sir William de Cunynghame Lord of Kilmaurs endowed the collegiate church at Kilmaurs with all of his lands of the Southuck (now South Hook) within the tenement of Lambrachtoun and other properties. The income was to pay for three priests to say prayers for the safety of his soul, that of his parents and of Hervy the church's founder, etc. In 1346 a William Baillie, the Baillie of Lambistoun or Lambimtoun, vulgarly called Lamington is listed by Dalrymple amongst the prisoners taken by the English at the Battle of Durham which had taken place on 17 October of that year. He was in the company of a Thomas Boyd of Kilmarnock and Andrew Campbell of Loudoun. Details of the Lairds of Lambroughton are contained within the papers of Dick Cunyngham (1627) of Prestonfield, Midlothian.
- The Cunninghame chiefs had only a slight connection with the barony of Kilmaurs after 1484 when Finlaystone became the family seat. Sir William Cunningham of Kilmaurs had married Margaret Denniston, sole heir to Sir Robert Denniston in 1405. The dowry included the baronies of Denniston and Finlaystone in Renfrewshire, the lands of Kilmaronock in Dumbartonshire, and the barony of Glencairn in Dumfrieshire. In 1616 many parcels of land belonging to the Barony of Kilmaurs were disposed of, together with Kilmaurs place and other possessions. In 1520 Lambrochton was acquired by Hugh, first Earl of Eglintoun (see Townhead of Lambroughton). Paterson (1866) states that Lambruchton was one of the lands inherited by Alexander Cuninghame of Corshill in May 1546, held by right of Royal Charter.
- In 1632 Alexander Conyngham had Lambroughton and Crumshaw Mills; in 1640 Johne Conyngham held part of the lands of Langmure, probably including Lambroughton, at a valuation of £200 a year, the rest being held by Stewart Fergushill at £66, 12 shillings and 10 pence.
- In 1667 Mr. John Cuninghame of Lambrughton (later Sir John) was one of the thirteen Commissioners of Supply for Ayrshire. The main purpose of the commissioners was to organise the collection, in an effective manner, of taxes. Their significance was that they held their power directly from royal authority and not as a feudal right. They later took on the role of organising education and the control of roads, bridges and ferries. They were replaced in 1890 by the County Councils, but survived with a few vestigial functions until 1929.
- Sir John Cunninghame of Lambroughton was the patron of Dreghorn and Kilmaurs kirks in 1670. He was an advocate, one of the most distinguished lawyers of his day, and obtained the sanction of parliament to use vacant stipends for the purpose of repairing churches and manses in these parishes. He already possessed the lands of Lambruchton, before acquiring the in 1683 the barony of Caprington from John Earl of Glencairn. John Cuninghame of Broomhill, Lambructon, and Caprington was created a baronet on 21 September 1669 to him and his male heirs only. and died 1684, succeeded by his son, Sir William, who is titled 'of Caprington' only. The history of the family is that of the Cunninghame's of Caprington from this point on.
- In 1675 Sir John Cunninghame Bart., conveyed to Robert Cunningham, druggist / apothecary, Edinburgh, the lands of 'Langmuir, Langsyde, Auldtoun and Lambrochtoune in whose family they seem to have remained until 1820, when George Cunninghame was the owner. This same Robert was cousin-german to Anne, daughter of Sir Robert Cunynghame of Auchinharvie and inherited the lands of Crivoch-Lindsay, together with Crivoch corn mill and Fairlie-Crivoch, including the Chapel lands and glebe of Fairlie-Crivoch. See Chapeltoun.
- Various mentions are made to a Thirdpart, such as in 1574 when it was a thirdpart or 5 merkland of Lambroughtoun Robertoune, being in that barony and not part of the Barony of Kilmaurs.
- It is likely that the Lambroughtons were a cadet family of the Cunninghames of Kilmaurs. .... etc.
- Legend of Friskin and Malcolm Canmore
- One version of the story is given by Robert Cunnighame in 1740. In his manuscript, entitled the Right Honorable the Earl of Glencairn's family, MacBeth murders his cousin, King Duncan I and the king's son, Malcolm Canmore (Great chief, long neck or 'big head' in Gaelic) tries to reach temporary safe refuge in his castle of Corsehill (also Crosshill) outside Stewarton.
- MacBeth's men were almost upon Malcolm when he sees a peasant, Friskin (or Friskine), turning hay in a barn nearby. Friskin hides Malcolm who then escapes to England with Friskin as a retainer. King Harthacanute of England and Norway gave them protection. When Harthacanute died, his successor King Edward the Confessor gave Malcolm an army which permitted him to conquer Scotland and kill King MacBeth at the Battle of Lumphanan in 1057. The grateful King Malcolm III (1031 to 1093) gave Friskine the thanedom or Baillery of Cunninghame and the family took this name, together with the motto of 'Over fork over' which they retain to this day (Robertson 1908). It is also said that the Cunninghames were 'Masters of the king's horses' and that they took their motto from this position in the 'punning way' which is typical of the armorial bearings and mottos of many an aristocratic family.
- In another version of the story, it is stated by Frederick van Bassen who was a learned Norwegian, that the saviour of Malcolm was actually a Malcolm, son of Friskin, however in other respects the story is the same.
- This story does not fit with the historical record, however it is of ancient origin and a grain of truth must in some way relate it to real events. The lands given to the family would have included the tenement of Lambroughton.
- Friskin or Freskin is a Fleming name and many Flemings were granted lands in Scotland in the ealry days of feudalism, such as Freskin who was granted land in Moray, and founded the families of Murray and Sutherland.
- Lambroughton and the murder of Thomas Becket
- In 1887 it is recorded that a manuscript containing the genealogy of the Cunninghames of Glencairn states the following;-
- "The founder of the family of Cunningham was Neil Cunningham, designed governor of Lambroughton, born in England in the year of our Lord, 1131. Being ane English gentleman , and come of ane ancient family, he, together with others, was enticed or rather forced by his lawful prince, King Henry II of England, his private orders, to commit murder upon the person of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, which he accordingly put in execution 30 December 1172, after which he was held in so great hatred by his countrymen that for shelter from their fury he flees to Scotland and takes up habitation in the country of Cunningham, after which he becomes in great favour with our King for his good service in saving the King's life at ane battle in Cunningham at Kilmairs, where he was enclosed by his enemies, and for which good service in saving the King's life he obtained from the King the lands of Lambroughton, and was made sole governor thereof." This Neil married the daughter of the Laird of Arnot and had four sons.
- This version does not agree with the others, however it does confirm an ancient battle in the vicinity of Kilmaurs, involving King Malcolm III.
- Lamberton in the Scottish Borders
- .... Only further research will finally settle the question of any relationship between the two Lambertons, however McNaught states that William was a Cunninghame of Lambroughton. Details from the National Dictionary of Biography seem to clarify his origins in the Lamberton family, originally from Berwickshire, but holding lands in north-east Scotland by the late 12th century and later in Stirlingshire.
- Alton, Wheatrig and Hillhead and Cranshaw Farms
- .... Altonhead Farm lies nearby. As noted elsewhere, in 1675 Sir John Cunninghame Bart., conveyed to Robert Cunningham, druggist / apothecary, Edinburgh, the lands of 'Auldtoun, Langmuir, Langsyde and Lambrochtoune in whose family they seem to have remained until 1820, when George Cunninghame was the owner. The 1788 - 91 Eglinton Estate plans mark an Aulton Law just above the farm and below the small wood. .... etc.
- Thorntoun Estate
- .... An Archibald Muir of Thorntoun was knighted by William III in 1699 and his daughter, Margaret, married John Cuninghame of Caddel, in Ardrossan. Their son, Lieut-Col. John Cuninghame of Caddel & Thorntoun was born in 1756 and died in 1836. John's spouse was Sarah Peebles, who was born in 1783 and died in 1854. They had six children, Andrew, Anna, Archibald, Christiana, Margaret and Sarah. They all died relatively young, except for Sarah who survived to inherit Thorntoun. Her spouse was George Bourchier Wrey. They had a son, George Edward Bourchier Wrey who had succeeded to the property by 1912. The Lieut-Col and his family are buried or commemorated at the family burial plot in the cemetery of Kilmaurs-Glencairn kirk. .... etc.
- The Kilmaurs Burgh of Barony
- In 1577 (Strawhorn gives 1527), King James V erected Kilmaurs as a Burgh of Barony, under a charter from Cuthbert, 3rd. Earl of Glencairn. 240 acres (0.97 km2) of rich land, in lots of 6 acres (24,000 m2) each, was apportioned to 40 persons in order to 'induce mechanics to reside in Kilmaurs', such as shoemakers, cutlers, skinners, carpenters, waukers and wolsters. At one time 30 cutlers and a good many tinkers resided in Kilmaurs and gave the town a reputation for craftmanship which lingers on to this day (2006). James, the fourteenth Earl of Glencairn broke the centuries old connection of the Cunnighame family with the area by selling the estate of Kilmaurs in 1786 to the Marchioness of Titchfield. .... etc.
- Tour, Kirklands and Pathfoot
- The Abbot of Kelso granted part of these 'Lands of Touer' to David Cuninghame of Robertland in 1532. The property stayed in the Robertland family and their descendants until 1841, when Robert Parker Adam purchased the lands and rebuilt the Mansion House in the old English style. .... etc.
- The Darien affair
- The Darien Company was an attempt by the Scots to set up a trading colony in America in the late 1690s, however the opposition from England and elsewhere was so great that the attempt failed with huge losses and great financial implications for the country and for individuals. Half of the whole circulating capital of Scotland was subscribed and mostly lost. In Cunninghame some examples of losses are Major James Cunninghame of Aiket (£200), Sir William Cunninghame of Cunninghamhead (£1000), Sir Archibald Mure of Thorntoun (£1000), William Watson of Tour (£150) and James Thomson of Hill in Kilmaurs (£100). .... etc.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambroughton
- Alexander Bruce, Earl of Carrick (died 1333) was the Natural son of Edward Bruce and his mistress, Isabel, daughter of John de Strathbogie, 9th Earl of Atholl.
- He played an ambivalent role during Edward Balliol's first invasion of Scotland. For a time he fell in with Balliol, but then he rejoined the Bruce loyalist side.
- He was killed fighting on the Scottish side at the Battle of Halidon Hill.
- Alexander was the first husband of Eleanor Douglas, daughter of Sir Archibald Douglas, Guardian of Scotland, they had issue:
- Eleanor de Brus, who reputedly married Sir William de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_de_Brus,_Earl_of_Carrick
2. Sir William de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs, Earl of Carrick; married (1) Lady Eleanor Bruce (died 22 June 1368), daughter of Alexander, Earl of Carrick and Margaret Douglas; married (2) before 18 Apr 1369, Margaret. William died between Dec 1396 and Jul 1399.
William was Hugh's successor and was probably his son. He was created Earl of Carrick in 1361 by King David II Bruce, probably by virtue of marrying Lady Eleanor Bruce, cousin to the King. She ought not to have received the title as it was restricted to the male-line heirs of Edward Bruce, but exception was made for her. This title reverted to the Crown on the death of Lady Eleanor, in William's own lifetime. Some sources doubt the existence of Eleanor but do not explain how William could otherwise become earl.
Burke notes: "The charter in his favour is on record, and singularly incomplete, as if there had been a doubt as to the propriety of the grant:- 'David, D.G. Rex Scottorum, sciatus nos dedisse concessisse et hac presenti-carta confirmasse dilicto consanguineo nostro Willielmo de Cuninghame militi totum comitatum de Carryk.' ". The charter is not dated but was probably written at Aberdeen on 12 September 1361.
Children (probably by Eleanor):
* Robert de Cunynghame, died young
* Sir William de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs (#3)
* Thomas de Cunynghame => the Cuninghame family of Caprington
* Alexander de Cunynghame
* John de Cunynghame
3. Sir William de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs; married Margaret de Danyelston or Dennieston, daughter of Sir Robert. William died after 1404.
William resigned his estates in 1400 for a new infeftment from King Robert III. He was granted or regranted the lands and baronies of Kilmaurs, Lambrachton, Kilbryde, Skelmorlie, and Polquharne, Ayrshire; the lands and barony of Redhall, co. Edinburgh; the lands of Nevy, Forfarshire; the barony of Hassingden, Roxburghshire;and the lands of Ranfurley, in barony of Renfrew.
The baronies of Glencairn and Fynlayston also came into the Cuninghame family in this generation, as they were inherited by Margaret de Danyelston as elder co-heir of her father.
* Sir Robert de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs (#4)
* William de Cunynghame of Bonnalay => the Cuninghame family of Cunninghamhead
- This family's name is spelt with every variation in the use of I or Y, one or two Ns, U (most used) or O (used mainly by some cadet branches in Ireland but occasionally in some references to earlier families in Scotland), and with/without an E at the end.
- Wernebald de Cuningham (a 1140)
- 1. Robert de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs (a 1153, 1196)
- TSP reports that Robert's wife is usually said to have been Richenda (a 1245), daughter of Sir Humphrey de Barclay of Gairntully, (which is what is reported by BE1883) but adds that "this is very doubtful", noting that Richenda's husband was still alive in 1238 (possibly a later husband?).
- A. Robert de Cunynghame (a 1188)
- BE1883 moves from Robert to Hervey, "great grandson of the last Robert". TSP notes that "the next step in the pedigree is conjectural" and describes Harvey as "the next on record" after ...
- i. Richard de Cunningham possibly father or grandfather of ...
- a. Harvey or Hervey de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs (a 1263) the first mentioned by BPGS2001
- Neither TSP nor BPGS2001 name Hervey's wife. BE1883 identifies her as the heiress of Riddell of Glengarnock but we follow Paterson in showing her as wife of Reginald, 2nd son of Hervey's son ...
- (1) Edward de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs (d 1285)
- m. Mary Stewart (sister of James, High Steward)
- BE1883 & BPGS2001 insert another generation here, a Gilbert (d 1292), but TSP suggests that the Gilbert referred to was of another family. TSP reports that apparently "the next in order" was ...
- (A) Robert Cunningham of Kilmaurs (d 1330) inferred by TSP as succeeded by ...
- (i) Hugh de Cunningham omitted by BE1883, probably father of ...
- (a) Sir William Cunningham of Kilmaurs, Sheriff of Ayr, 'Earl of Carrick' (d before 07.1399)
- TSP reports that "It is frequently stated that he got the earldom by marrying Eleanor Douglas or Bruce, Countess of Carrick, and lost it on her death, but though the lady was several times married, Sir William does not appear as one of her husbands." We provisionally follow BE1883 which identifies her as shown below. This makes her (only?) daughter of Countess Eleanor by her 1st husband (Alexander Bruce, Earl of Carrick), providing a reason for William to obtain the title, but apparently the title then followed her mother's later husbands, odd since the title came through Alexander Bruce. TCP (Carrick) notes that "there seems to be no evidence of her existence", clearly indicating some scepticism of the (alleged) connection.
- m1. Eleanor Bruce (dau of Alexander Bruce, Earl of Carrick)
- m(2). Margaret possibly mother of ...
- ((1)) Sir William Cunynghame of Kilmaurs, Sheriff of Ayr (d by 12.1415, 2nd son)
- m(1). Margaret Danielston (d before 0.1409, dau of Sir Robert Danielston of that ilk)
- ((A)) Sir Robert Cunningham of Kilmaurs
- m. (mcrt 16.06.1425) Anne Montgomery (dau of Sir John Montgomery of Ardrossan)
- ((i)) Alexander Cunningham, 1st Earl of Glencairn (d Sauchieburn 11.06.1488)
- m. Margaret Hepburn (dau of Adam Hepburn, Master of Hailes)
- ((ii)) Archibald Cunningham (a 1478)
- ((B)) William Cuningham of Bonnalay
- m. _ Ross
- ((i)) Robert Cuningham, 1st of Cuninghamhead
- m. _ Douglas, heiress of Cuninghamhead
- TSP reports that Sir William may also have married Mary Stewart, dau of King Robert III, before her 3rd/4th marriage (to Sir William Grahame), noting "There is no clear evidence that the marriage ... took place, though it is not improbable."
- partner unknown (may have been Agnes)
- ((C)) John Cuningham (a 1415)
- p. Agnes
- ((D)) William Cuningham (a 1418, vicar of Dundonald)
- ((2)) Thomas Cunynghame of Badlane or Bedland or Bedlan (a 1413)
- ((A)) Adam Cuninghame of Bedlan, 1st of Caprington
- m. (c1425) ?? Wallace (dau of Sir Duncan Wallace of Sundrum)
- The Cuninghames of Aiket were descended from those of Bedland. The connection may have come through ...
- ((B)) ?? Cuninghame
- ((i)) ?? Cuninghame
- ((a)) Alexander Cuninghame of Over Aitkead
- ((i)) ?? Cuninghame
- ((B)) ?? Cuninghame
- ((3)) Margaret Cunynghame
- m. (by 1364) Fergus Macduel of Mackerstoun
- ((4)) daughter probably of this generation
- m. ?? Logan of Grugar
- ((5))+ other issue - Robert of Garvard (dvp by 1385), Alexander (a 1413), John (a 1413)
- (b) Sir Andrew de Cunynghame of Polmaise and Drumquhassil
- TSP reports that Andrew (m. Margaret, d 1388) received Eschend and other lands in Lennox and "is said to be ancestor of the Cunninghams of Drumquhassil and others in Lennox". BLG1886 (Cuninghame of Mount Kennedy), possibly following BE1883, shows him as son rather than grandson of (Sir) Robert.
- (c) ? Sir Nigel Cunningham in Fife
- ((1)) Archibald Cunningham
- ((A)) William Cunningham
- ((1)) Archibald Cunningham
- (i) Hugh de Cunningham omitted by BE1883, probably father of ...
- (B) Reginald Cunningham (a 1292)
- Identified as 2nd son of Sir Edward by Mary (Stewart) by Paterson's Ayr. TSP notes that "the name of the second son is conjectural" but refers to the connection made by Paterson.
- m. Jonet Riddell, heiress of Glengarnock
- (A) Robert Cunningham of Kilmaurs (d 1330) inferred by TSP as succeeded by ...
- i. Richard de Cunningham possibly father or grandfather of ...
- Main source(s): TSP (Glencairn), BE1883 (Cunynghame of Kilmaurs and Glencairn) with some support from BPGS2001 (Fergusson-Cuninghame of Caprington)
- From: Stirnet.com
Sir William Cuninghame of Kilmaurs. He appears in several records, as in 1350, 1354 and 1364. He married Eleanor Bruce countess of Carrick; and in her right was created Earl of Carrick; by this lady he had no issue; by a former marriage he had three sons. His third son, Thomas, was ancestor of the Cunninghames of Caprington. The eldest son predeceased him, without issue. He was succeeded by the second son, [William]. http://www.clancunninghamintl.org/history.htm
William Cunynghame of Kilmaurs, Earl of Carrick's Timeline
Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland
Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Scotland, United Kingdom
Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland