Stephen (Father Steve) F. Radecky

Is your surname Radecky?

Research the Radecky family

Stephen (Father Steve) F. Radecky's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Stephen (Father Steve) F. Radecky

Birthdate:
Birthplace: Lamberton, Pennsylvania, United States
Death: Died in Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Place of Burial: Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Ludwic Radecky and <private> Radecky (Vida)
Brother of Louis Radecky; Paul Radecky; Mary Churak; <private> Radecky; Helen Radecky and 2 others

Occupation: Roman Catholic Priest
Managed by: Rita Marie Rozelle
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About Stephen (Father Steve) F. Radecky

Father Stephen (Steve) Radecky was ordained to the Holy Priesthood at St. John's Cathedral, Cleveland, on May 26, 1945. His first Solemn Mass was at Our Lady of Lourdes Church, on May 27, 1945.

Internment in Calvary Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio, Section 63, Lot 1409, Grave 2.

From the History of St. Columbkille Parish:

ST. COLUMBKILLE PARISH 1956-2012

St. Columbkille Parish has served the residents of Seven Hills and Southeastern Parma since June of 1956. St. Columbkille Parish was canonically erected by the Most Reverend Archbishop Edward F. Hoban, Bishop of Cleveland, on June 7,1956. The establishment of the "new" parish continued the legacy of the original St. Columbkille Parish located at 2642 Superior Avenue in the City of Cleveland.

"Old" St. Columbkille Parish was established in 1871 by Father James O'Reilly. The cornerstone for the parish was laid on June 13, 1902 with the Church of St. Columbkille being dedicated on October 9, 1904. In 1933, the Most Reverend Archbishop Joseph Schrembs made St. Columbkille Parish the diocesan center for the deaf and hearing impaired. The Parish's Pastor, Father Arthur Gallagher, was appointed Diocesan Director of the Deaf. St. Columbkille Parish celebrated the Golden Jubilee of its founding on June 2, 1946. The last Mass to be celebrated in "old" St. Columbkille Parish was on September 26, 1957. The property was razed shortly thereafter for construction of the Inner Belt Freeway (Interstate 90). Pews, vestments, the baptismal font, chalices, monstrance, and ambry were brought from the "old" church to the "new" suburban parish. The baptismal font and ambry (repository for holy oils) were installed in the temporary church in 1959. The ambry was installed in the permanent church in 1971 as a permanent link with the "old" St. Columbkille Parish.

The "new" St. Columbkille Parish was originally intended for the intersection of Broadview Road and Ridgewood Drive. The first Mass was celebrated at the Parmadale Chapel on June 17, 1956. The first pastor of the parish was Father Bernard A. Stalder. Father Stalder was ordained March 11, 1933. Unexpectedly, Father Stalder died on September 16, 1956. Father Michael G. Hnat was appointed pastor September 27, 1956. Father Hnat's first task was to find a new location for the parish. The original site was determined to be of insufficient size for a church, school, and other parish buildings. A new thirty-five (35) acre site was purchased on Broadview Road between Chestnut Road and Mapleview Drive. Groundbreaking for the temporary church and school complex was held on October 13, 1957.

The temporary church/school complex was designed by John F. Lipaj and Associates. St. Columbkille School opened in September 1958. The first Mass in the temporary church was celebrated on December 19, 1958. The church/school complex was dedicated on April 5, 1959 by the Most Reverend Archbishop Edward F. Hoban. The parishioners of the parish would devote time, talent, and financial resources over the next several years to building a rectory, convent, and an expanded school facility. The convent was built entirely by the craftsmen of the parish on weekends and on weekday evenings. The only expense to the parish was for building materials. Without the effort and talents of these "pioneers", the physical facility we are all most proud of today could not have become a reality.

As the parish continued to grow, the need became obvious for a larger, permanent church. It became the dream of Fr. Hnat to construct such a church. Groundbreaking ceremonies for the "new" permanent church were held on August 10, 1969. The new church was designed by the firm of Rauschenbach, Casini, and Urban. Fr. Hnat would not live to see his dream completed. He would die unexpectedly on May 20, 1971. His funeral Mass was celebrated in the temporary church in the shadow of the steeple of the "new" church.

Father Stephen F. Radecky was appointed to succeed Fr. Hnat on July 7, 1971. The first event to be held in the "new" church was First Holy Communion on Saturday, November 6, 1971. The church’s altar of sacrifice was consecrated by the Most Reverend William Cosgrove, Auxiliary Bishop of Cleveland, on March 20, 1972. The "new" church was solemnly dedicated by the Most Reverend Clarence G. Issenmann, Bishop of Cleveland on April 30, 1972. One of the concelebrants of the dedication Mass was Father Andrew Hnat, brother of Fr. Mike Hnat.

Under Fr. Radecky's leadership, the parish continued to grow and prosper throughout the 1970's. The temporary church was renovated and converted into a parish hall and gymnasium for the school. During the late 1970's and early 1980's, St. Columbkille was staffed by three associate pastors in addition to Fr. Radecky. In 1977, Bishop James Hickey created a new parish within the borders of St. Columbkille Parish, St. Matthias. The new parish would include the southern areas of St. Columbkille Parish and would be established first at the Green Valley School on Pleasant Valley and then to its permanent site on Sprague Road. Fr. Vincent Moraghan was named its first pastor in 1979. In 1979, Msgr. Michael Ivanko joined the staff as the first "Senior" Associate of the parish.

Fr. Radecky retired from active service in May of 1992 having served the parish for twenty-one years.' Fr. Neil O'Connor was named the fourth pastor of St. Columbkille in June 1992. Fr. O'Connor has continued the traditions of St. Columbkille while opening new resources to serve the members of the parish, including a Pre-School program and the renovation in the former convent into the Parish Center. Today, St. Columbkille Parish has grown to 4,620 households. The founding eight hundred families from 1956 could hardly have imagined such growth. The past forty years have seen significant growth in the parish and the surrounding communities. However, one constant remained from the days of St. Columbkille's "pioneers". The people of St. Columbkille Parish continue the same generous spirit and willingness to give of their time, talents, and financial support to our spiritual home. The traditions of "old" and "new" St. Columbkille Parish should continue for many years to come. [feedly mini]

Source: http://www.stcolumbkilleparish.org/parishhistory.htm

view all

Stephen (Father Steve) F. Radecky's Timeline

1921
January 8, 1921
Lamberton, Pennsylvania, United States
????
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
????
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
????
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
????
Lamberton, Pennsylvania, United States
????
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
????
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
????
Cleveland, Ohio, United States