Susan Mitchell (Wood)
|Also Known As:||"Susan (Wood) Overdon Butterfield Mitchell", "Sarah Butterfield", "widow of Thomas Butterfield"|
|Birthplace:||Halifax, Yorkshire , England|
|Death:||Died in Stamford, New Haven, Connecticut|
Daughter of Edmund Wood, Sr. and Margaret Heald
|Managed by:||Mark Andrew Fuldauer|
About Susan Mitchell
Susan WOOD - b. about 1589, Halifax, Yorkshire, England, Daughter of Edmund WOOD and Margaret HEIRD. Susan Wood was the sister of Jonas and Edmund Wood.
Found on Ancestry.com
Susan Wood - Widow of Nathaniel Ovenden and of Thomas Butterfield. Samuel Butterfield, son of Susan and Thomas, was killed by Pequot Indians at Saybrook, Connecticut, with them "roasting him alive." Daughter of Edmund Wood and Janet Hurst.
Susan was first married in 1611 to Thomas BUTTERFIELD (bur. Sep. 16, 1614 Halifax, Yorkshire).
Children of Thomas and Susan Butterfield:
- Samuel (b. 1612; killed 1636 by Pequot Indians at Saybrook, CT); and
- a child (b. about 1614). This child may be the Susan or Sarah who married Jonas Halstead.
Children of Matthew and Susan Mitchell:
- Abigail - bap. Apr. 26, 1618, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; d. after Aug. 1678. Married about 1640 Rev. Abraham PIERSON (b. about 1610, Yorkshire; d. Aug. 9, 1678, Newark, Essex Co., NJ; bur. Old Burying Ground, Newark, NJ), son of Abraham PIERSON and Christina JOHNSTON. Abigail survived her husband.
- David - bap. Nov. 14, 1619, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; d. 1686, Stamford, CT. Married Elizabeth. Son of David and Elizabeth: Abraham married Sarah WHEELER.
- Sarah - bap. Oct. 14, 1621, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England. Married Samuel SHERMAN.
- Martha - bap. Oct. 26, 1623, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; d. Nov. 22, 1623, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England.
- Jonathan - b. Nov. 15, 1624; bap. Dec. 19, 1624, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; d. Jul. 9, 1668, Cambridge, MA. Graduated Harvard College 1647, which he served as Tutor and Fellow 1650-1668. Jonathan was ordained at Cambridge, MA on Aug. 21, 1650. He preached Election Sermons in 1658 and 1667. On Nov. 19, 1650 at Cambridge, MA, Jonathan married Margaret (BORADELL) SHEPARD, the widow of Rev. Thomas SHEPARD (1605-1649), minister at Cambridge, MA.
- Susanna - bap. Oct. 14, 1627, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; d. Mar. 24, 1711; bur. Old South End Cem., Southampton, Long Island, NY. Married Maj. John HOWELL (bap. Nov. 22, 1624, prob. Marsh Gibbon, Buckinghamshire; d. Nov. 3, 1696, Southampton, Long Island, NY; bur. Old South End Cem., Southampton, Long Island, NY), son of Edward HOWELL.
- Matthew - bap. Jul. 5, 1629, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; d. Oct. 4, 1629, South Ouram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England.
- Hannah - bap. Jun. 26, 1635; d. Apr. 2, 1702, New Haven, CT. Married first Robert COE (bap. Sep. 19, 1626, Boxfod, Suffolk, England; d. 1659), son of Robert COE and Mary. Hannah married second Nicholas ELSEY.
Possible children of Matthew and Susan Mitchell
Some compilations add the following children, but without birth or baptism record references. However, the estimated birth years appear to conflict with those of known events.
- Abraham - b. about 1616, Halifax, Yorkshire, England.
- Dorothy - b. about 1617, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; d. Nov. 17, 1712.
- Jonathan - b. about 1620, Halifax, Yorkshire, England. Died as infant.
- Nathan - b. about 1622, Halifax, Yorkshire, England.
Death date seen as d. 1635, Ovenden, Yorkshire, England. However "the Bullard Genealogy" has:
"MATTHEW MITCHELL, immigrant ancestor of this family, was born 1590, in South Outram parish, Halifax, Yorkshire, England, and married, April 16, 1616, Susan Butterfield of Ovenden, in the same parish. They sailed from Bristol, May 23, 1635, in the ship "James," with the company of dissenters of whom Rev. Richard Denton was the head ..."
- Matthew was accompanied by an unknown 2nd wife - Susan did not die in England in 1635
Name also seen as Sarah.
Note from the record of Robert Coe, Jr.:
He married about 1650 HANNAH MITCHELL, baptized at Halifax, Yorkshire, England, June 26, 1631, daughter of Matthew and Susan (Wood) Mitchell. Her parents came to New England with their family in the spring of 1635, and located at Wethersfield , Conn., where her father was a prominent man. She married second Nichols Elsey of New Haven wither she went to reside, taking her Coe children with her; and she died at New Haven, Apr. 2, 1702 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ E-mail from John Preston Halstead 30 Apr 2001: Ken, I think you are asking two questions: Was Jonas H's wife's given name Sarah or Susan, and , was her maiden surname Butterfield? Let's deal with the second first. We have no record of Jonas'marriage, so we have no proof of whom he married. Art Wardwell in his letter to Herb Seversmith of 13 Feb. 1936 surmized that her name was Butterfield, but Seversmith didn't buy it, and they both dropped the matter at that point.
The Susan Butterfield who married Matthew Mitchell was the widow of Thomas Butterfield. Her maiden name was Wood. She had married Thomas Butterfield about 1612. Butterfield died 1614/15 and his widow married Matthew Mitchell 21 Aug 1616. They had: David b.c. 1619 Sarah b.c.1621 Jonathan b.c. 1623 Susan b.c. 1626/7 Hannah b.c.1630/31
These apparently all came over on the "James" of Bristol in 1635, although only the parents and Jonathan were listed on the manifest. It is possible that Mrs. Susan (Wood) Butterfield Mitchell also brought with her on the James two children from her previous marriage:
Samuel Butterfield age 22 and _______ Butterfield age 20, the latter being the child with whom Susan was pregnant when her first husband died in 1614/15. Wardwell surmized that this child was a girl and that she got to know Jonas on the trip over and married him in America - a great many suppositions piled on top of each other. This is all I can say about her surname . We just don't know.
As for her given name, your e-mail of 2/11/00 titled "Notes on Jonas" has the latest scholarly conclusion, quoted verbatim from Matthew Wood's 1989 article in the NYG&BR. Wood concluded that it is possible that her name was Sarah. Again, that's all we can say. At the present moment, barring the discovery of additional documents, there's not much point in speculating further.
Regards, John P. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Her family name probably Atte Wood
Susan Mitchell's Timeline
Halifax, Yorkshire , England
Ovenden, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Ovenden, Yorkshire, Eng
Saint John's Parish,Halifax,Yorkshire,England
September 26, 1618
Halifax, Yorkshire, , England