Sylvester A. Newell

Is your surname Newell?

Research the Newell family

Sylvester A. Newell's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Sylvester A. Newell

Death: October 01, 1901
Harvard, McHenry, Illinois
Immediate Family:

Husband of Private; Alvina Russell Andrews and Lydia Kimball Newell
Father of Ambrose Newell

Occupation: married Alvina Sept 1865 in Milan, NH
Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About Sylvester A. Newell

Sylvester A. Newell (Union Army)

Biographical data and notes:

- Born in New Hampshire


- Residing in Milan, NH at time of enlistment

- 33 years of age at time of enlistment

- Enlisted on Dec 21 1863 as Private

Mustering information:

- Enlisted into E Company, 9th Infantry (New Hampshire) on Dec 21 1863

- Transferred from 9th Infantry (New Hampshire) on Jan 1 1865 (Estimated date of transfer)

- Transfered to 2nd Battn (U.S. Veteran Reserve Corps) on Jan 1 1865

- Discharged due to disability from 2nd Battn (U.S. Veteran Reserve Corps) on Jun 6 1865 at Concord, NH

Listed as:

- Wounded on May 18 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House, VA

Sources for the above information:

- Register of Soldiers and Sailors of New Hampshire 1861-65, (1895)



History of Coös County, New Hampshire by George Drew Merrill; Syracuse

N.Y.: W.A. Fergusson & Co., 1888, 1888, 1018 pgs.

page 888

Milan, NH

CIVIL WAR--When the president's call for 300,000 men was made in

the fall of 1863, the quota for the town of Milan was 10. The

boys met at a blacksmith's shop near "Ellingwood's Hotel" and

with closed doors and extinguished lights they all then and there

agreed to volunteers. These young men were Sylvester Newell,

Samuel Ordway, Nathaniel P. Ordway, John L. Ordway, Walter H. Evans,

James Pettengill, George L. Vincent, Charles H. Hamlin,

Charles Ellingwood and Henry F. Paine... They had their choice of

joining the Sixth, Ninth or Eleventh NH regiments--they chose the

Ninth, and with about 500 other men started to join their

respective regiments, and had the honor of being placed on guard

on the journey.

After their arrival at Paris, NY, the headquarters

of the Ninth, they were assigned to Company E., then performing

guard duty at Kizer's Station on the railroad from Paris to

Cincinatti Ohio. It was here that the nine Milan boys first

received instruction in military manoeuvres and tactics. They remained

for a month, when the regiment was ordered to Knoxville, Tenn, to

join the Ninth corps under Burnside...

After marching a few days

they came to camp--Nelson KY--where they found the Sixth New Hampshire,

and their townseman Aaron White. They went to rest that night without

any covering but a blanket, and when the awoke in the morning they had

an additional covering of eight inches of snow. Here the first death

in this band of nine occurred.

James Pettengill was ill and removed to

the hospital; three days after two of the "boys" went to see him, but

they only found the dead body of their comrade. Before the funeral

rites were performed, the regiment was under marching orders, and

Pettengill was buried by strangers. Such as the vicissitudes of the

soldier's life! Their next resting-place was Camp Isabelle, KY.

Here Charles Ellingwood was taken sick, and had to be left behind, and

when his companions returned, four or five weeks later, he, too, had

been laid in a soldier's grave, far from home and friends. Nothing of

importance occurred to the Milanites between this and Knoxville,

except the usual trials and privations of a soldier, such as running

short of rations, and thinking parched corn a luxury, and an attack

one dark night on a "reported" camp of rebels, when about fifty

selected men, three of whom were "Milan boys," surrounded a supposed

rebel camp and captured two old men who were watching fires to keep

them from spreading. As soon as the regiment reached Knoxville the

Ninth corps was ordered to join the Army of the Potomac, then near

Washington, which they did in season to be partakers in General Grant's

famous campaign "On to Richmond"


The first battle in which the Milan boys were fairly engaged was

that of Spottsylvania Court House. There, on the 12th of May, they

received their first baptism by fire. In this engagement Walter H.

Evans had one heel shot off; Samuel Ordway received a very severe

foot wound; John L. Ordway was wounded in the shoulder and in the foot,

lived to reach his home, and died among his friends. On the 18th of

May the regiment supported the "Irish Brigade" in a charge, and here

Charles H. Hamlin and Sylvester Newell were wounded. There were now

only two of the "nine" left able for duty--Nathaniel P. Ordway and

George L. Vincent. At the battle of North Anna River, George L.

Vincent was slightly wounded; he remained with the regiment, but was

not on duty; Nathaniel P. Ordway, the only Milan boy then able to

carry a musket, did good and efficient service. Some time in June,

Vincent reported for duty, was with his regiment until two days before

Burnside's mine was sprung, when he was detailed for duty in the

quartermaster's department, and continued there until the close of the



Nathaniel P. Ordway was now again alone, but when the mine was sprung

he was wounded, and there was not a Milan boy left in the regiment.

In the fall Walter H. Evans and Charles H. Hamlin returned to duty,

and, in one of the battles for the possession of the Weldon railroad,

Hamlin was again wounded, and did not afterwards rejoin his

regiment. Walter H. Evans was promoted, and, at his discharge, he

was orderly-sergeant of his company.

Of these nine school-mates, brave soldiers and loyal citizens,

James Pettengill, Charles Ellenwood and John L. Ordway died in service.

view all

Sylvester A. Newell's Timeline

November 1866
Milan, Coos, NH
October 1, 1901
Harvard, McHenry, Illinois