Theobald Butler, 1st and Last Viscount of Tulleophelim
Son of Sir Edmund Butler, of Cloughgrenan and Honorable Eleanor Eustace
|Occupation:||Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Theobald Butler, 1st and Last Viscount of Tulleophelim
Theobald Butler, 1st Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim
Theobald Butler, 1st Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim (died December 1613), was an Irish peer.
Butler was the son of Sir Edmund Butler by the Honourable Eleanor Eustace, daughter of Rowland Eustace, 2nd Viscount Baltinglass. James Butler, 9th Earl of Ormonde, was his grandfather, and Sir Thomas Butler, 1st Baronet, of Cloughgrenan, his younger brother. He was raised to the Peerage of Ireland as Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim, in the County of Carlow. In 1605 he was appointed Governor of County Carlow.
Lord Butler of Tulleophelim married his cousin Lady Elizabeth Butler, daughter of Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde, in 1603. There were no children from the marriage. He died in December 1613, when the viscountcy became extinct. The Viscountess Butler of Tulleophelim married as her second husband Richard Preston, 1st Earl of Desmond. She died in October 1628.
- Theobald Butler, 1st and last Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim1
- M, #195526, d. December 1613
- Last Edited=2 Feb 2015
- Consanguinity Index=3.87%
- Theobald Butler, 1st and last Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim was the son of Sir Edmund Butler and Hon. Eleanor Eustace.1 He married Lady Elizabeth Butler, daughter of Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde and Hon. Elizabeth Sheffield, in February 1602/3.1 He died in December 1613, without issue.1 He was buried at St. Canice's Church, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny, Ireland.1
- Before November 1602 at Dublin Castle, Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland, he was long imprisoned.1 He was created 1st Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim, co. Carlow [Ireland] on 4 August 1603.1 He held the office of Governor of County Carlow on 16 June 1605.1 He held the office of Lord-Lieutenant of County Carlow on 16 June 1605.1
- On his death, his viscountancy became extinct.1
- [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 452. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p19553.htm#i195526
- Theobald BUTLER (1° V. Tulleophelim)
- Born: ABT 1560
- Died: 1614
- Father: Edmund BUTLER of Cloghgrenan
- Mother: ¿?
- Married: Elizabeth BUTLER
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BUTLER.htm#Theobald BUTLER (1° V. Tulleophelim)