|Birthplace:||Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales|
|Death:||Died in Rehoboth, Plymouth Colony|
Son of Richard Bowen of Rehoboth, Immigrant and Ann Bowen, of Wales
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Bowen
About Thomas Bowen
Genealogy Report: Ancestors of James Harry Record
[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ] Ancestors of James Harry Record
1154.Thomas Bowen, born 1625 in Swansea, Bristol,Ma;
died March 11, 1658/59 in Plymouth, Mass..
He married 1155. Elizabeth Brewster 1663.
1155.Elizabeth Brewster, born May 01, 1637 in Duxbury, Plymouth, Ma;
died November 11, 1713 in Plymouth, Mass..
She was the daughter of 2310. Thomas Brewster.
Child of Thomas Bowen and Elizabeth Brewster is:
577 i. Abijah Bowen, born May 21, 1663 in Middleboro, Plymouth, Ma;
died May 21, 1746 in Halifax, Plymouth, Ma; married Abiel Wood December 1683 in Middleboro, Mass..
Birth: 1624/25 Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts
Death: 11 Mar 1659 Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Burial: 1663 Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Marriage: Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Father: Richard BOWEN
Mother: Ann BORN
Birth: 1 May 1637 Duxbury, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Death: 11 Nov 1713 Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Father: Jonathan BREWSTER
Mother: Lucretia OLDHAM
1 Abigail BOWEN
Birth: 1678 Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts
Death: 1710/11 Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts
John ROUND Marr: 1697 Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts
Lamb and Ratcliffe Tree and other Branches
1624/1625 - 1659 (34 years)
Personal Information | Sources | All
Name Thomas BOWEN
Born 1624/1625 Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
Christened Elizabeth M/2, Samuel Fuller
Died 11 Mar 1659 Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Buried 1663 Plymouth, Plymouth, MA, USA
Person ID I13655 The Lamb Ratcliffe family tree
Last Modified 8 Jan 2013
Father Richard BOWEN, b. 1590, Of, Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales , d. 4 Feb 1674, Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass. (Age 84 years)
Mother Ann BORN, b. 1592, Of Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales , d. Nov 1648, Rehoboth, Bristol, MA, USA (Age 56 years)
Married Abt 1614 Of Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
Family ID F4821 Group Sheet
Family 1 Elizabeth BREWSTER Married Bef Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA Family ID F7689 Group Sheet
Family 2 Elizabeth NICHOLS Married 1660 , Plymonth, Mass. Family ID F7696 Group Sheet
Family 3 Elizabeth BOWEN Family ID F7697 Group Sheet
Family 4 Elizabeth TIDD OR WOBURN Family ID F7698 Group Sheet
Family 5 Elizabeth Family ID F7699 Group Sheet
Family 6 Elizabeth TIDD OR WOBURN Family ID F7700 Group Sheet
Sources [S3] Ancestral File (TM), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (July 1996 (c), data as of 2 January 1996).
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 10.0.1, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2016.
'Thomas was born about 1634 in Wales and probably lived in New London CT for a period of time before his death in Rehobeth in 1664.
His will mentions wife Elizabeth and so wife named executrix and brother Obediah Bowen and brother-in-law ROBERT FULLER to be overseers.
Thomas Bowen was married to Elizabeth Nichols, daughter of John Nichols. Evidently she first married Samuel FULLER, and had several children, none appear as John.
Thomas BOWEN born 1625, Swansea, Bristol MA (note: Swansea wasn't settled until 1667, four years after purchase by Welsh Baptist leader John Miles from the local tribe), Planter/Fisherman, married 1663, in Essex\Plymouth, MA, Elizabeth BREWSTER, born 1636, Plymouth Colony, MA, (daughter of Thomas BREWSTER) died 04 NOV 1713.
Thomas died aft 11 APR 1663, Salem, MA, Buried: bfr 1670, MA.
- Richard BOWEN born 1658.
- Abigail BOWEN born DEC 1660.
- Abiah BOWEN born 1664.
Not to be confused with Richard Bowen, who was not married to Elizabeth Brewster.
Richard Bowen, the immigrant ancestor, came from Kittle Hill, Glamorganshire, Wales, to this county about 1638 and settled at Rehoboth, Massachusetts. He was a son of James and Eleanor Bowen, of Ilewyndwar, Pembrokeshire, Wales, and grandson of Mathias Bowen or Bowin. He was a proprietor and town officer in Rehoboth, and was admitted a freeman, June 4, 1645. He married (first) Ann ___, and (second) Elizabeth ___. He was buried February 4, 1674, and in his will, dated June 4, 1673, he bequeathed to his wife and children. His widow was buried in 1685. Children:
- 1. William;
- 2. Obadiah, mentioned below;
- 3. Richard;
- 4. 'Thomas';
- 5. Alice, married ___ Wheaton;
- 6. Sarah, married ___ Fuller;
- 7. Ruth, married ___ Leverich.
- (II) Obadiah Bowen, son of Richard Bowen, was born in Wales about 1627, died 1727. He married Mary Clifton. Children, born in Rehoboth: Obadiah, September 18, 1650; Mary, January 18, 1652; Sarah, November
- 6, 1654; Samuel, July 16, 1659; Joseph, mentioned below; Thomas, August 3, 1664; Hannah, May 3, 1665; Lydia, April 25, 1666; Marcy, March 18, 1672; Isaac, September 20, 1674.
- b.est 1634 Wales
- d.bet 11 Apr 1663 and Feb 1663/64 Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States
Parents and Siblings
- F. Richard Bowen - abt 1594 - 1674/75
- M. Unknown - bef 1600 - bef 1648
- m. est 1619
- 1. Alice Bowen - est 1620 - aft 1695/96
- 2. William Bowen - est 1622 - 1687
- 3. Sarah Bowen - est 1624 - 1676
- 4. Ruth Bowen - est 1626 - 1688
- 5. Obadiah Bowen - 1628 - 1710
- 6. Richard Bowen - est 1631 - bef 1722/23
- 7. Thomas Bowen - est 1634 - bet 1663
- m. est 1619
Spouse and Children
- H. Thomas Bowen - est 1634 - bet 1663
- W. Elizabeth Nichols - est 1637 - 1713
- m. est 1660
- 1. Dr. Richard Bowen - 1660 - 1736/37
- 2. Abijah Bowen - 1663 - 1746
- m. est 1660
Facts and Events
- Name Thomas Bowen
- Gender Male
- Birth est 1634 Wales (probably)
- Marriage est 1660 to Elizabeth Nichols
- Will 11 Apr 1663 Rehoboth, Bristol Co., MA
- Probate Feb 1663/64 Will sworn by Gov. Prince.
- Death bet 11 Apr 1663 and Feb 1663/64 Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States
Not mentioned in father's 1675 will.
Died in Rehoboth, Plymouth Colony, after he made his will there on 11 April, 1663, and before it was sworn to Governor Thomas Prince at Plymouth the last of February 1663/4. He was described in 1663 as late of New London, Connecticut. 
- 1. ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sanborn, Melinde Lutz. Third Supplement to Torrey's New England Marriages Prior to 1700. (Baltimore [Maryland]: Genealogical Pub. Co., c2003), page 31.
- 'BOWEN, Thomas (c1634-1663+) & Elizabeth NICHOLS; m2 Samuel FULLER; m by 1659 [TAG 76:278; MD 39:86]'
- 2. ↑ 2.0 2.1 Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register. (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co, 1860-1862), 1:223.
- Bowen: 'Thomas, Salem 1648, was of New London 1657-60, rem. to Rehoboth, d. 1663. ... His will, of 11 Apr. 1663, ... names his s. Richard and br. Obadiah.'
- 3. ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Bowen, Richard LeBaron, Jr. The Ancestry, Wives, and Children of Richard1 Bowen of Weymouth and Rehoboth, Massachusetts: With Notes on His Sons-in-law Robert1 Wheaton and Robert1 Fuller and on Griffith1 Bowen of Roxbury, Massachusetts. American Genealogist (D.L. Jacobus). (David L. Greene, October 2001), 76:278.
- Thomas Bowen, b. say 1634, d. after 11 April 1663 when he wrote his will and before the last of Feb. 1663/4, when it was sworn by Gov. Thomas Prince at Plymouth; m. ca. 1639, Elizabeth Nichols.
Thomas Bowen's Timeline
Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales
New London, Connecticut Colony
April 11, 1663
Rehoboth, Plymouth Colony
May 21, 1663
Middleborough, Plymouth Colony
Elizabeth M/2, Samuel Fuller