Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Dean
About Thomas Dean
Thomas Dean was born in Taunton say 1642 son of John Dean (c1600 - 1660) and Alice (Unknown). He married on 5 Jan. 1670 to Catharine Stephens who survived him.
All of the following children are named in his will except the first child who died young:
- Thomas, b. 1 Feb. 1671 Taunton, d. in few days
- Hannah, 14 Feb. 1672 Taunton
- Thomas born about 1673 in Taunton, MA. He died on 10 Sep 1747. He was married to Mary KINGSLEY on 7 Jan 1696 in Taunton, MA?. Marriage performed by Reverend Peter Thacher.[NEHGR 3:386]
- Deborah; She was married to John TISDALE
- Catharine married to Leonard SAMUEL on 17 Apr 1710
- Lydia about 1679 Taunton d 22 Aug 1726 m George Hall
- Mercy died on 10 Jan 1766 in Taunton, MA ("“who d. Jan 10, 1766") married to Daniel WILLIAMS on 1 Feb 1710/11 in Taunton, Bristol, MA
- Elizabeth born about 1688 in Taunton, MA.(674) She died on 18 Mar 1758. She was married to Deacon Benjamin WILLIAMS on 4 Dec 1707 in Taunton, MA 
Will and Probate
His will was proved 15 July 1697. " Thomas Dean of Taunton 'being at prefent Sick & weak of Body' made his will Aug. 7, 1690. 'I Giue … my Body to the Graue to be Buried by my Surviueing freind as becometh Chriftians'. I make my wife Katharine sole executrix of this my last will and also I leave her all my estate 'for to Bring Vp my fmale Children', the estate to be at her disposing as long as she continues my widow, and after her decease or marriage I give all my lands to my only son Thomas Dean, except my two south purchases and my twenty acres at or near Scadings and my meadow at wenecunnet all in the township of Taunton, which lands thus excepted I leave with my wife to dispose of to my children at her discretion or to sell if necessary for the bringing up of my children. My will is that my wife pay out of my moveable estate to each of my daughters viz. Hannah, Deborah, Katherine, Lidiah, Mercey and Elizabeth five pounds each as they come of age or at their marriage, the rest of my moveable estate to be disposed of to my children at her discretion, my son to have as good a part thereof as any of my daughters. After the death or marriage of my wife my son shall have my part in the Iron Works. I desire my two brothers John Dean and Isaace Dean to be overseers of this my will. Witnessed by Thomas Leonard, John Dean and Isaace Dean, of whom Thomas Leonard Esqr and Isaace Dean made oath to above will July 15, 1697 before Jno Saffin, John Cary Registr: they testifying that the said John Dean also signed as a witness with them. Recorded July 21, 1697 by John Cary Registr
 Inventory of above estate taken June 30, 1697 by Thomas Leonard, John Dean, Richard Stephens and Isaace Dean. Items: 'halfe the lott that was Mr Andrews'; 'the Eight accres of land that was Cafses great lott'; 'the great lott of Twenty accers Bought of John Dean'; 'the Houfe Orchard & Eight accers of land Bought of Joans'; 'two lotts of land at Squabinanfit giuen him by his father'; 'Twenty accers of land Bought of John Hall at Squabinanfit'; 'the Meaddow his father Gaue him'; 'the little Neck fo called which his father Bought of James Bates & gaue to him';  Said inventory sworn to July 15, 1697 by Katherine Dean widow before John Saffin Probar: John Cary Registr: Recorded July 23, 1697 by John Cary Registr An agreement bearing date of July 13, 1697 made between Katherine Dean widow of Thomas Dean late of Taunton deceased and executrix of his will on the one party and Thomas Dean only son of said Thomas Dean dec'd on the other party. It is agreed first that Katharine Dean is to accept the office of executrix. Second, that whereas by said will of said Thomas Dean the improvement of the whole estate was left to his widow during her widowhood, nevertheless under the conditions hereafter mentioned said Katherine Deane doth agree that her son Thomas Deane shall possess the easterly end of the dwelling house, that part in which said Thomas Dean now dwells, also that lot called Jones lot and house thereon, the land at Pale Brook and at Squabbanansett forthwith, and that that part of the lot bought of Jno Dean, between the river & the highway is to come under his improvement the next spring after the date hereof. Third, said Thomas Dean agrees with his mother Katherine Deane that she shall and may pay to her daughters Hannah, Deborah, Katharine, Lidia, Mercey and Elizabeth five pounds each out of the moveables as expressed in his father's will  and that the rest of the moveables be divided among the children by said executrix as in the will expressed and that the land at Scadings and wenicunnet given to the said daughters by will shall belong to them, and whereas the two south purchases mentioned in said will to be given to said daughters, were sold by said Thomas Dean dec'd before his decease, and the estate of the said Thomas Dean is found to be considerably increased since the date of his will, said Thomas Dean doth agree with his said mother Katharine Dean that she shall dispose of the three North purchases unto her said daughters, also that he will pay to said Katherine or such of her said daughters as she shall appoint, £70 in money at the rate of £10 per annum, and the first payment to be made when that estate (that is, lands) which his mother now lives on, shall come into his possession, which according to said will is after the decease of his said mother or the expiration of her widowhood. Witnessed by Thomas Leonard, Isaace Deane and Samuel Blake, and sworn to July 15, 1697 by Katherine Deane and Thomas Deane before John Saffin who allowed the same. John Cary Registr: Entered July 23, 1697 by John Cary Registr:"
- 1. ↑ James. A Savage, Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register. (Boston: Little, Brown, and Co, 1860-1862), 2:31. "Thomas (Dean), Taunton, s. of first John, m. 5 Jan. 1670, Catharine Stephens, wh. surv. him, had Thomas, b. 1 Feb. 1671, d. in few days; Hannah, 14 Feb. 1672; Thomas, again; Deborah; Catharine; Lydia; Mercy; and Eliz. His will was pro. 15 July 1697."
- 2. ↑ Ancestor Tables, in McArthur, Selim Walker. McArthur - Barnes Ancestral Lines. (Portland, Maine: Anthoensen Press, 1964), 159. "150. Thomas Dean, b. Taunton, Mass., ca. 1642, d. there before 30 June 1697 (date of inventory); b. [error for m.] Taunton, 5 Jan. 1669/70 [Katherine Stevens]. His will, inventory, and agreement of heirs are found in New England H. and G. Register, 63:232-33."
- 3. ↑ The Deane Family, (New England Historical & Genealogical Register, Vol 3, October 1849, p 375 & subsequent). p 383.
- 4. ↑ Edgar H. Reed, Marriages, Births & Deaths at Taunton, Mass. from the Proprietors' Records, (New England Historical & Genelaogical Register, Vol 16, Oct 1862, p 324-328).
- 5. ↑ Elijah Hayward, transcriber, Plymouth Colony Records, (New England Historical & Genealogical Register, Vol 9, Oct 1855, p 313 & subsequent.)
- 6. ↑ Vital Records of Taunton, Bristol Co., MA. Vol 2, p 153.
- 7. ↑ 7.0 7.1 Vital Records of Taunton, Bristol Co., MA.
- 8. ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 New England Historic Genealogical Society. NEHG Register, Vol 141, January, 1987
- 9. ↑ Samuel2 Hall, in Smith, Dean Crawford, and Melinde Lutz Sanborn. The Ancestry of Eva Belle Kempton 1878-1908. (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1996-2008), 4:334. "… Lydia Dean, born Taunton 1679, died in Easton, Mass., 22 August 1726, daughter of Thomas and Katharine (Stephens) Dean."
- 10. ↑ 10.0 10.1 Charles C. Williams, M.D.. Ancestry and Posterity of Richard Williams of Taunton, Mass. Los Angeles, California 1924. p. 36 “M. Feb. 1, 1710, Mercy, dau of Thomas and Katherine Dean.”.
- 11. ↑ Banner Blue Division. NEHG 13:254: Marriages in Taunton: “Daniel williams and Mercy Dean mar. Feb 1, 1710-11
- 12. ↑ Marriages in Taunton: 13:254: “Benjamin Williams and Elizabeth Deane married Dec. 4, 1707.”.
- 13. ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Lucy Hall Greenlaw, Abstracts from the First Book of Bristol County Probate Records. New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Apr, Jul, Oct 1908; Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct 1909; Jan 1910), 62:232-33.
- 14. ↑ Justin Windsor, Abstracts of the Earliest Wills in the Probate Office, Plymouth, (New England Historical & Genealogical Register, Vol 5, October 1851, p. 385 & subsequent.) Vol 5, p 388.
- Frost, Josephine C., Ancestors of Amyntas Shaw and His Wife Lucy Tufts Williams (Not Published, 1920) Page 25
Thomas Dean's Timeline
January 5, 1638
Dorchester (within present Boston), Suffolk County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
Rehoboth, Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States
Taunton, (Present Bristol County), Plymouth Colony (Present Massachusetts)
Taunton, Plymouth Colony
Taunton, (Present Bristol County), Plymouth Colony (Present Massachusetts)
Taunton, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
Taunton, Bristol County, Province of Massachusetts