Thomas Gray, of James City
|Birthplace:||Angerton, Northumberland, England|
|Death:||Died in James City County, VA|
|Place of Burial:||Surry, Virginia, United States|
Son of Edward Grey, Sheriff of Northumberland and Catherine Lestrange
|Occupation:||Jamestown Colonist, Ancient Planter|
|Managed by:||Jeff Quinton|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Gray, Ancient Planter
About Thomas Gray, Ancient Planter
________________ land patents http://www.genfiles.com/mizell-files/Mizell-surry-records.pdf
Thomas Gray (c.1593-1658)
- b.1593 England.
- d.1658 James City, VA.
- 4 sons: William, Thomas, John and Francis Gray.
- from 1608: Jamestown, VA. colonist; age 15
- Winthrop Fleet passenger
- “Ancient Planter at or before the time of Sir Thomas Dale” .
- 18 Nov 1618: 550 acres James City Co.
- 100 acres due as an “Ancient Planter” at or before time of Sir Thomas Dale (March 27, 1611).
- 50 acres for Annis (Annie) first wife;
- 50 acres for Rebecca, his now wife
- 350 for transportation of 2 sons, William Gray and Thomas Gray, and 5 servants – May 26, 1638.
- patented land in Surry County: 1635, 1639 and 1642.
- Gray’s Creek (opposite to Jamestown Island) named after him.
- Genealogies of VA Families. pp 222, Boddies VHG p 109, HSF V 17 p 81 and SVF V 2 p 30-42.
- b. shown by his deposition (3-7-1653):
- * Stated age as 60 ... Testified that Daniel Hutton, dec, left all his estate to his wife Rebecca (surry Bk 1 p 41)
- b. shown by his deposition (3-7-1653):
Thomas Gray (b. 1593, d. 1658) Thomas Gray (son of Edward Grey and Catherine Le Strange)284, 284 was born 1593 in London, Middlesex, England284, and died 1658 in Surry, Virginia, USA284. He married Margaret Annis on 1617 in Pauls Wharf, London, England.
More About Thomas Gray: Date born 2: 1594, Angerton, Northumberland, England.284 Died 2: 27 Jan 1657, Angerton, Northumberland, England.284
More About Thomas Gray and Margaret Annis: Marriage: 1617, Pauls Wharf, London, England.
Children of Thomas Gray and Margaret Annis are:
+Frances Gray, b. 1615, Southwark, Virginia, USA284, 284, d. 13 Jun 1679, Surry, Virginia, USA
4. THOMAS4 GRAY, JR. (EDWARD3, RALPH2, EDWARD1) (Source: John Frederick Dorman, C.G., F.A.S.G., Adventurers of Purse & Person VA 1607-1624/25.) was born Abt. 1593 in England, and died Bef. 02 Nov 1658 in Surry Co., Virginia. He married (1) ANNIS VALENTINE 29 Mar 1611 in St. Peter, Paul's Wharf, London, England (Source: Register, St. Peter, Paul's Wharf, London, England, MS 5721/1, Guild Hall, London, England.). She was born Abt. 1594 in England, and died Bef. 24 Jan 1624 in Surry Co., Virginia. He married (2) MARGARET Aft. 1622. He married (3) REBECCA Bef. 11 Sep 1626. He married (4) MARY FOSTER Abt. 1645. She was born Abt. 1600 in England.
Notes for THOMAS GRAY, JR.:
Thomas Gray was an ancient planter at or before the time of Sir Thomas Dale in 1616 (Surry Co., VA Patent Book 1, pg. 283). He was living at James City, VA 1623/4 (Hotten, pg. 176) and 1624/5, with his wife Margaret, son William, aged 3 years (Surry Co., VA Patent Book, pg 283), and daughter Joane, aged 6 years. He deposed 7 March 1653/4 that he was 60 years or thereabouts (Surry Co., VA Deeds, Wills &c 1, 1652-72, pg. 410).
On 12 Oct. 1626 Thomas Gray appeared as a witness before the General Court at Jamestown (MCGC, pg. 119). His first patent, 27 Aug. 1635, for 550 acres on the south side of James River, "over against James City" and on Rolfe's and Cross creeks, included 100 acres as an Ancient Planter and 50 acres each for the transportation of his (1) wife Anis (Annis) Gray, his present wife Rebecca Gray and two sons William and Thomas, and adjoined a plantation already in his possession (Surry Co., VA, Patent Book 1, pg's. 283, 631 (repatent 26 May 1638)). He added 400 acres of Grayes Creek by patent, 20 July 1639 (Surry Co., VA, Patent Book 1, pg. 669), and an adjoining 100 acres on 7 June 1642 (Surry Co., VA, Patent Book 1, pg. 787). Another 400 acres he had patented was lost for failure of planting and seating and repatented by Samuel Abbott, 10 April 1644 (Surry Co., VA Patent Book 1, pg. 950), but both this tract, by purchase from Abbott, and his July 1639 patent were included in a new patent for 800 acres, 14 March 1652/3 (Surry Co., Patent Book 3, pg. 158).
Thomas Gray was probably dead before 2 Nov. 1658 (Surry Co., VA, Deeds, Wills &c 1, 1652-72, pg. 121) when Francis Gray transferred a patent to his brother Thomas. On 11 May 1659 Luke Mizell testified in court that while he was servant to Thomas Gray, Sr., deceased, he "did often hear sd Gray and his wife say that [Thomas] Gates had given 50 acres to their son Thomas and daughter Jane" (Surry Co., VA Deeds, Wills &c 1, 1652-72, pg. 131).
Thomas's 1st wife Annis was apparently deceased by 24 January 1624/5 when his 2nd wife "Margaret" was listed in the muster (The name Margaret may have been an error of the recorder of the muster). He married 3rd by 11 September 1626 a Rebecca ____ who deposed before the General Court that good Wright did tell her this deponent That by one Token w/ch this deponent had forehed she should burye her Husbande (MCGC, pg. 111). This prediction did not come true since Thomas Gray survived Rebecca and, by about 1645, married (4) Unknown by whom he had young children, the orphans mentioned in a controversy about land with John Corker, 26 June 1662 (Surry Co., VA Deeds, Wills &c 1, 1652-72, Pg. 192).
Children of THOMAS GRAY and ANNIS VALENTINE are: 5. i. JOANE "JANE"5 GRAY, b. Abt. 1618, Virginia. ii. WILLIAM GRAY, b. Bet. 1621 - 1622.
Notes for WILLIAM GRAY:
William Gray was named in in his father's 1635 patent but apparently died young.
Children of THOMAS GRAY and REBECCA are: iii. THOMAS5 GRAY, JR., d. Bef. 01 Jan 1672.
Notes for THOMAS GRAY, JR.:
Thomas Gray sold 100 acres on Gray's Creek called Hollowing Point to Richard and Isabella Case, 3 November 1667 (Surry Co., VA Deeds, Wills &c 1, 1652-72, pg. 291), and about 80 acres on Gray's Creek and Cross Creek to Thomas and Joane Cruse, 5 November 1667 (Surry Co., VA Deeds, Wills &c 1, 1652-72, pg. 292), both tracts apparently inherited from his father, and died before 1 January 1672/3 when Francis Gray was appointed his administration (Surry Co., VA Order Book, 1671-91, pg. 18).
6. iv. REBECCA GRAY, b. Bet. 1628 - 1630; d. Abt. 20 May 1655. 7. v. FRANCIS GRAY, CAPTAIN, b. Bet. 1630 - 1635; d. Bef. 06 May 1679, Surry Co., Virginia.
Children of THOMAS GRAY and MARY FOSTER are: 8. vi. WILLIAM5 GRAY, SR., CAPTAIN, b. Bet. 1648 - 1649, James City Co., Virginia; d. Bef. 18 Nov 1719, Surry Co., Virginia. 9. vii. JOHN GRAY, b. Abt. 1651, Surry Co., Virginia; d. Jul 1683, Surry Co., Virginia. viii. THOMAS GRAY, b. Abt. 1652, Surry Co., Virginia; d. Bef. 02 May 1676, Surry Co., Virginia.
Notes for THOMAS GRAY:
Thomas Gray deposed 2 July 1672 that he was near 21 years of age (Surry Co., VA Deeds, Wills &c 2, 1671-84, pg. 20) left a will 16 April 1676 - May 1676 (Surry Co., VA Deeds, Wills &c 2, 1671-84, pg. 113), making bequests to his brother Francis' three daughters and Francis' wife and leaving his land to his brothers John and William.
From: email@example.com Subject: [GRAY] Gray Family "The Ancient Planter" Thomas Gray of Jamestown,Va Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:43:53 +0000
1.Thorfinn Rollo-- Viking raider who defeated Charles the Simple about 910 AD in France- Became Normandy
Skip of 1-2 generations
2. Fulbert de Falaise born about 978 Normandy- Wife Doda de Falaise born about 980 Normandy Children A) Harlette de Falaise about 1003 Normandy did not marry but had children with Robert I "The magnificent" Duke of Normandy
Son of the Duke of Normandy and Harlette was Guillaume I " Le Conquaerant" De Normandie ( William the Conqueror) William the Conqueror's wife was Matilda Countess of Flanders Queen of England
3. B) Reynald Seigneur de Croy - born about 1008 - Croy(Gray) Piccardy, Normany, France-- Wife Mrs.-Reynald Lord De Croy born about 1012
4. John De Grai born about 1033 Piccardy, Normandy, France--- Wife Adeliza Fitzosbern born about 1037 Normandy
5. Anchitil De Grai born about 1060 Rotherfield, Oxfordshire, England--Wife Mrs.-Anchitel De Grai born about 1064
6. Anchitil de Gray I - born about 1085 Oxfordshire, England-- Wife is unknown
7. Richard de Gray--born about 1110 Oxfordshire, England --Wife Mrs. Mabilia De Gray-born about 1114 Oxfordshire, England
8. Anchitil de Grey II-- born about 1135 Oxfordshire, England-- Wife Eva Redvers born about 1139 Hocknorton, Oxon, England
9. Richard de Gray-- born about 1148 Thurrock, Essex, England-- Wife Mrs. Richard De Grey
10. Henry de Grey Baron Codner-- born about 1161 Codner, Derbyshire, England--Wife Isolda (Iseude) Bardolf -born about 1168
11. Hugh de Grey -born about 1203 Chillingham, Northumberland, England-Wife Mrs Hugh de Grey
12. John Grey -born about 1125 Scotland - Wife Mrs John Grey
13. Thomas De Gray born 1266, Heton, Norrthumberland, England- Wife Mrs. Thomas De Gray
14. Thomas Gray born about 1297- Heton, Northumberland, England -Wife Agnes De Beyle-born about 1327
15.Thomas Gray Sir Knight born about 1328-Heton, Northumberland, England--Wife Margaret De Pressene born about 1334
16. Thomas Gray Sir Knight born about 1359-Heton, Northumberland, England-Wife Joan De Mowbray- born about 1363
17. Thomas GraySir Knight born Nov 30 1384, Castle, Alnwick,Northumberland, England, Beheaded -- Wife Alice De Neville -married about 1401
18. Ralph Gray born Sept 9 1406, Heton, Northumberland, England-Wife Elizabeth Fitzhugh, married July 1 1435
19. Ralph Gray born about 1432, Chillingham, Northumberland, England--Wife Jacquetta Gray born about 1436
20. Edward Gray about 1446, England --Wife Ann Gower & later Elenor Bradford
21. Ralph Gray born 1529, Chillingham, Northumberland, England-Wife Isabel Gray,
22. Edward Gray born about 1550, Morpeth Castle, Northumberland, England- Wife Catherine Le Strange
23.Thomas Gray( The Ancient Planter) born 1593-1594, Angerton, Northumberland, England-Wife Margaret
Born: 1594, Angerton, Northumberland, England
Died: BEF 27 Jan 1657
Father: Edward GREY (Sheriff of Northumberland)
Mother: Catherine Le STRANGE
Married 1: Annis VALENTINE 29 Mar 1611, Paul's Wharf, London, England Children: 1. William GREY
2. John GREY
3. Joan GREY
Married 2: Rebecca HUTTON BEF 11 Sep 1626 Children:
3. Thomas GREY
4. Francis GREY
5. Mary GREY
6. Rebecca GREY
7. Anne GREY
Married 3: Margaret ? ABT 1646
I'm not sure this is same Thomas Gray, but I'm putting this link here until I find out further.
MSR 542426 Thomas Gray, b. 1593 England; d.1658 Surry Co., Va.
Daughter Jone/Jane Gray is recorded in MSR chart as born c. 1618-19. *jc*
Thomas Gray, Ancient Planter's Timeline
May 4, 1595
Harwich, Essex, England
Angerton, Northumberland, England
James City County, Virginia