About Thomas Jackson Hartley, Jr.
1820 British Settler
Thomas Hartley 18, Blacksmith, together with his parents and 9 Siblings, were members of Thomas Calton's 's Party of 167 Settlers on the Settler Ship Albury.
Party originated from Nottinghamshire.
Departed Liverpool, 13 February 1820. Arrived Simon's Bay, Cape Town - 1st May 1820. Final Port - Algoa Bay, Port Elizabeth 15 May 1820.
Area Allocated to the Party : Torrens River - named Clumber after Clumber Park, the seat of the Duke of Newcastle, Chairman of the Nottinghamshire Committee
- William Hartley, 24
- Mary Hartley 22
- Ann Hartley 20
- Hannah Hartley 16
- Elizabeth Hartley 13
- Sarah Hartley 10
- Jeremiah Hartley 7
- Henry Hartley 4
- Susannah Hartley (died at sea).
Thomas Hartley was a blacksmith who came from Nottinghamshire with the 1820 Settlers.As described by Chris Marais & Pat Hopkins in '101 Beloved Bars of SA': "Tom Hartley... moonlighted as a dentist, yanking patients' teeth out of their mouths with blacksmith's pliers and slapping shoes on their horses - all in the run of a normal day."
Morley House: Built in 1828 by Thomas Hartley. One of the stone-built houses which survived the looting in the 6th Frontier War in 1834. Jeremiah Goldswain lived in it, and so did Henry Hartley, the big game hunter who founded Hartley in Zimbabwe.
Pig 'n Whistle Hotel - After settling in Clumber in 1820, Thomas Hartley moved into Bathurst, building a dwelling on Lot 8 next to his forge in 1825. The Inn was built in 1825. The Inn was built next to the Forge, in which Thomas Hartley continued to run his blacksmith business. Bathurst was geographically situated as a stopping place for wagon travellers. There was a smithy, a farrier, provisions and someone to extract a troublesome tooth. This was done by the blacksmith with his pliers!
The Inn, which was in operation by January, still stands substantially intact. The Proprietor had such regard for the quality of his guests that the rooms were described as “Subscription Rooms for Gentlemen” and guests included Lord Charles Somerset, the Governor of the Cape, and Sir Benjamin D’Urban. From 1832 surgeon Ambrose Campbell, riding from Grahamstown, attended consultations on the first Saturday of the month. After Thomas Hartley’s death in 1840 his widow, Sarah [Note from Sharon - Mary? Wasn't Sarah his sister in law?], took over the running of the Inn and made its hospitality famous. It was then known as Widow Hartley’s Inn and visiting dignitaries and Government officials sought accommodation at the Inn.
In 1847 the Governor General, Sir Henry Pottinger, stayed at the Inn and entertained the Chaplain, the Magistrate and the Post Commander. In 1848 the Governor General, Sir Harry Smith, stayed at the Inn.
Thomas Baines made an oil painting of the Inn and the Village during his visit in 1849 and this painting is now in the Rhodesian archives. Sarah Hartley died later in the year after making the Inn famous in the colony during her period as proprietor. After a brief term under Thomas Hartley junior, Jeremiah Goldswain, another settler, bought the Inn in 1852.
The original building remains an integral part of the Inn. Part of the kitchen walls include a portion of Thomas Hartley’s original dwelling. The Inn’s name was changed to the Pig ‘ Whistle during WW ll when the Air Force was based at 43 Air School in Port Alfred.
After 170 years it has claim to genuine age which cannot be made by scores of so called ‘Olde Time Inns’ worldwide.
Opened up the Pig and Whistle in Bathurst, South Africa's oldest licenced public house.
The name Pig and Whistle was given to the hotel by members of the South African Air Force during World War II as a result of its famous pub.
Main executor of his will was William Monkhouse Bowker.
East London's Dispatch, 24 May 2008 :
SOUTH Africa's oldest pub has finally closed its doors after a record 175 years in business. By David Macgregor, Port Alfred Bureau
Bathurst's historic Pig and Whistle Hotel opened for the last time a month ago - leaving residents of the village in a froth over the closure of the popular watering hole. A second attempt yesterday to sell the 11-room national monument and adjacent supermarket, bottle store, and several cottages proved even more disappointing than a previous bid in December. Originally called the Bathurst Inn, the first buildings were built in 1831 by 1820 settler Thomas HARTLEY as a one-stop accommodation and provisions centre for ox wagons passing through.
Thomas Jackson Hartley, Jr.'s Timeline
October 13, 1829
September 12, 1831
August 18, 1833
District Bathurst, Eastern Cape, South Africa
July 7, 1837
August 31, 1839
January 16, 1842