Thomas Hatton, Secretary
|Death:||Died in St. Mary's, Maryland|
|Cause of death:||Killed at the Battle of Severn|
Son of John Or Matthew Hatton and Margaret Hatton
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Thomas Hatton, Secretary
HATTON, THOMAS (?-1654/55).
IMMIGRATED: in 1648 as a free adult with his wife and two sons.
RESIDED: at "Pope's Freehold," St. Mary's County.
FATHER: John Hatton.
BROTHERS: Richard (?-by 1649); John (?-1654), of London, England; Henry; and Samuel.
SISTERS: Sarah; Susan; and Hanna.
MARRIED Margaret (?-1657).
SONS: Robert; Thomas (ca. 1642/43-1675), who married first, (first name unknown), daughter of Randolph Hanson, and second, Elizabeth, daughter of John Waughop.
EDUCATION: literate, with considerable clerical skills.
RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION: Protestant.
SOCIAL STATUS AND ACTIVITIES: brought two servants with him on his arrival in the colony, and the next year assisted his sister-in-law and her children, including his nephew William Hatton (?-1712), in settling in Maryland; had a commission as a Councilor and secretary on his arrival in the colony; probably met Cecil Calvert through his friend Thomas Motham, Gent., a clerk in Chancery Lane.
OCCUPATIONAL PROFILE: placeman; planter.
LEGISLATIVE SERVICE: Assembly, special writ 1649; Upper House, 1650-1650/51 (Laws 1); Parliamentary Commission, 1652-1653; Assembly, Potomac (St. Mary's County), 1654 (declined to sit because of his oath to Lord Baltimore).
OTHER PROVINCIAL OFFICES: Council, 1648-1654; justice, Provincial Court, 1648-1654; secretary, 1648-1654; judge of Probate, 1648-1654; receiver general, 1648-1651; attorney general, 1650-1654.
STANDS ON PUBLIC/PRIVATE ISSUES: staunch supporter of Lord Baltimore's rights against the assumption of government by the Parliamentary Commissioners, 1654.
WEALTH DURING LIFETIME.
LAND AT FIRST ELECTION: 500 acres in 1650; acquired an additional 600 acres in 1652.
WEALTH AT DEATH.
DIED: on March 5, 1654/55; killed at the Battle of the Severn.
PERSONAL PROPERTY: no inventory, but owned much livestock.
LAND: 1,600 acres.