Thomas Holbrook, II
|Birthplace:||St John The Baptist, Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Braintree, Norfolk, MA, USA|
Son of Thomas Holbrook of Weymouth and Jane Holbrooke
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Holbrook, II
About Thomas Holbrook, II
2. Thomas - b. about 1625, England; d. Jul. 22, 1697, Braintree, MA. Resided at Scituate, Weymouth, and Braintree, MA. Owner of vast real estate. Will mentions sons Peter, William and Thomas. Married 1650 Joanna KINGMAN (b. 1624; d. after 1696), daughter of Henry and Joanna KINGMAN. Children: Thomas married Deborah DAMON; John; Peter married Alice GODFREY (ancestors of Pres. William Howard TAFT); Joanna married Uriah CLARK; Joseph died young; Mary; Susanna married Andrew WILLET; and a daughter died in infancy.
- Birth: ABT 1624 at: St Johns, Glastonbury, England
- Marriage: ABT 1652 at: Braintree, Essex, Massachusetts
- Death: 22 Jul 1697 at: Braintree, Essex, Massachusetts
- Father: Thomas Holbrook
- Mother: Jane Powyers
- Spouse: Joanna Kingman Birth: ABT 1626 at: Of Braintree, , , Massachusetts Marriage: ABT 1652 at: Braintree, Essex, Massachusetts Death: AFT 1697 at: , , Weymouth, Massachusetts
- John Holbrook
- Peter Holbrook
- Joanna Holbrook
- Joseph Holbrook
- Mary Holbrook
- Susanna Holbrook
- Thomas Holbrook
Source 1. Genealogical Dictionary of Early Settlers of New England by Savage;
Source 2. Will dated 25 Jul 1695 & proved 19 Aug 1697; (In will wife is named Jane)
Source 3. New England Marriages Prior To 1700.
Source 4: Will of grandfather William Holbrooke, the elder, of Glastonbury, co. Somerset, yeoman, dated 11 December 1625 & proved the same year at Wells; He names grandchild Thomas Holbrooke, the younger;
Source 5: History of Weymouth, vol 2: Bllk: 974.47/WI h2w; pg: 511;
- POWYES, Jane
- b. ABT 1594
- d. 24 APR 1677
- Marriage: 12 SEP 1616 St John's, Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England
- Spouse: HOLBROOK, Thomas
- b. ABT 1590 Somerset, England
- d. 1677 Weymouth, Norfolk, Mass.
- HOLBROOK, John
- HOLBROOK, William
- HOLBROOK, Thomas
- HOLBROOK, Elizabeth
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_204.htm#5
- HOLBROOK, Thomas
- b. 15 OCT 1653 Braintree, Norfolk, Mass.
- d. 20 DEC 1728 Weymouth, Norfolk, Mass.
- Father: HOLBROOK, Thomas
- Mother: KINGMAN, Joanna
- Marriage: 1666
- Spouse: DAMON, Deborah
- Marriage: 21 OCT 1683
- Spouse: WHITE, Mary
- b. ABT 1660 Weymouth, Norfolk, Mass.
- d. 1738
- HOLBROOK, Thomas
- HOLBROOK, Mary
- HOLBROOK, Hannah
- HOLBROOK, Samuel b. 29 APR 1711 Braintree, Norfolk, Mass.
- HOLBROOK, Abigail b. 8 SEP 1715 Braintree, Norfolk, Mass.
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_f.htm#75
- Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the ..., Volume 1 edited by William Richard Cutter, William Frederick Adams
- (I) Thomas Holbrook or Holbrooke, immigrant ancestor, aged thirty-four, of Broadway, England, with wife Jane, aged thirty-four, and children- John, aged eleven; Thomas, aged ten; Anne, aged five, and Elizabeth, aged one, came from Weymouth, England, about 1628. He settled at Weymouth and in 1640 was on the committee to lay out the way from Braintree to Dorchester. he was admitted a freeman in May 1645. He was selectman several years. His will was dated December 31, 1668, with codicil December 31, 1673. He died 1674-76. His widow Jane died before April 24, 1677, when administration of the estate was granted to his son John. Children: 1. John, born 1617, mentioned below. 2. Thomas died 1697; married Joanna ___. 3. Captain William, died 1699; resided at Scituate. 4. Ann, married ___ Renolds. 5. Elizabeth, married Walter Hatch. 6. Jane, married ___ Drake.
- Genealogical and family history of central New York : a record of the achievements of her people in the making of a commonwealth and the building of a nation by Cutter, William Richard
- (The Holbrook Line).
- Elizabeth Holbrook. wife of Walter Hatch (see Hatch), was of English descent, perhaps birth. Her father, Thomas Holbrook, born in Brantry, England, came to America in 1635, with his wife Jane and four children, two more being born in America. He settled in Weymouth, Massachusetts, where he became a man of wealth and prominence. He was one of the original grantees of Rehoboth, Massachusetts, but for not removing to his lands there they were forfeited in 1645. He owned lands in Scituate. Massachusetts, where his sons, Captain William and Thomas (2) removed in 1660. Captain William purchased land in Conihassett and made permanent settlement. Thomas, however, only remained until after his marriage in Scituate to Deborah Daman, then shortly after returned to Weymouth. Thomas was selectman of Weymouth, 1645-46-51-54. He was elected representative to the general court, 1649, and was one of the committee to lay out the highway between' Weymouth and Dorchester. Thomas and Jane Holbrook had three sons and three daughters, as named in his will, which was probated April 24, 1677. although made December 31, 1668, with codicil, five years later. His -wife Jane survived him. The will recites : "To wife Jane all my estate during her life," (requesting sons John. William and Thomas to be helpful to her) "as she is ancient and weak of body." His property was afterward to be divided between the three sons and "my three daughters. Ann Reynolds, Elizabeth Hatch and Jane Drake." Elizabeth married Walter Hatch, who was of the second generation in America, and progenitor of Albert Gallatin Hatch, of the eighth generation.
- New England families, genealogical and memorial: a record of the ..., Volume 2 edited by William Richard Cutter
- (VI) Jonathan, son of Abraham (4) Staples..... etc.
- He married Rachel Holbrook, of Mendon, died March 9, 1832, aged seventy-nine, daughter of Thomas Holbrook. One deed appears on the records of Worcester county in which three daughters of Thomas Holbrook deed their rights to the estate of their father to Sylvanus Holbrook, probably their brother, June 21, 1781. The grantors in this deed were John Benson and wife Molly (Holbrook) of Mendon; Jonathan Staples and wife Rachel (Holbrook) of Mendon; Thaddeus Thayer and wife Margaret (Holbrook) of Douglas. The consideration was eighty pounds. In 1780 Jonathan and Jacob Stapes were reported as of Windham county, Vermont, town of Wardsboro, and Jonathan had two sons under sixteen and three females in his family. Thomas Holbrook was son of Sylvanus and Nancy (Cook) Holbrook, of Mendon. Sylvanus Holbrook was born August 15, 1685, died at Uxbridge in 1740, a housewright by trade. Deacon Peter Holbrook, born September 6, 1655, died May 3, 1712, father of Sylvanus, lived a short distance southeast of the village of Mendon and owned lands in Bellingham; married (first) Alice___, and (second) after 1705, Elizabeth Pool. Thomas Holbrook, father of Deacon Peter Holbrook, resided at Scituate, Weymouth and Braintree, and was a man of wealth; married Joanna ___, Thomas Holbrook, father of Thomas Holbrook, was the immigrant, born in England; settled in Weymouth, Massachusetts, and died in 1674-75; his widow Joanna died before April, 1677; he was selectman of Weymouth many years and held other offices. Children: Sally Staples, Sylvia Staples, Ellery Staples, born March 4, 1784; Willard Staples, Rachel Staples, Abraham Staples, Jonathan Staples, mentioned below.
- .... etc.
- Thomas Holbrook
- Immigrated with his wife, Jane Powys about 20 Mar 1634/35 with Reverend Joseph Hull's Company aboard the Marygold. He originated in Broadway, Somerset, England and settled in Weymouth, MA. He became a freeman of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in May of 1645. Thomas was one of the grantees of Rehoboth.
- Thomas Holbrook
- Immigrant from England to Massachusetts along with his parents (above), settling in Braintree in 1653. Married Joanna Kingman in 1650.
- Deacon Peter Holbrook
- Peter was the son of Thomas II and Joanna Kingman. Peter settled in Mendon, Worcester, MA along with his wife, Alice Godfrey, daughter of Richard Godfrey and Jane Turner. Peter was an important man in his time.
- From: http://genealogical-gleanings.com/Puritans.htm
Thomas Holbrook, II's Timeline
St John The Baptist, Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England
Of Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts
October 15, 1653
Braintree, Norfolk, MA
August 5, 1655
Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA
April 10, 1660
Braintree, Nrflk, MA