Thomas Lewis, MP
|Also Known As:||"Sheriff of Glamorgan"|
|Birthplace:||Van, Montgomeryshire, Wales|
|Death:||Died in Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales, United Kingdom|
Son of Edward Lewis and Ann Lewis
|Occupation:||Sheriff of Glamorgan|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Lewis, MP
About Thomas Lewis, MP
- Thomas Lewis, Esq., Sheriff of Glamorgan1,2
- M, #67828, b. circa 1531, d. 2 November 1593
- Father Edward Lewis, Esq., Sheriff of Glamorgan1,2 b. 1508
- Mother Anne Morgan1,2 b. 1512
- Thomas Lewis, Esq., Sheriff of Glamorgan was born circa 1531 at of Van, Montgomeryshire, Wales.2 He married Margaret Gamage, daughter of Robert Gamage, Esq., Justice of the Peace for Glamorgan and Jane Champernoun, after 14 November 1557; They had 3 sons (Sir Edward; George; & Gabriel) and 3 daughters (Ann, wife of Edward Prichard; Mary, wife of Humphrey Mathew, Esq; & Florence, wife of William Fleming).1,2 Thomas Lewis, Esq., Sheriff of Glamorgan died on 2 November 1593 at Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales, England.2
- Family Margaret Gamage b. b 1531, d. a 2 Nov 1593
- George Lewis+ b. 1560, d. 1593
- 1.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 241.
- 2.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 58.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2257.htm#i67828
- Anne MORGAN
- Born: 1512, Pen-coed, Llanfarthin, Monmouthshire, England
- Father: William MORGAN (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Florence BRYDGES
- Married: Edward LEWIS
- 1. Thomas LEWIS (b. ABT 1534) (m.1 Margaret Gamage - m.2 Catherine Mathew)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/MORGAN.htm#Anne MORGAN2
- LEWIS, Thomas III (by 1533-94), of The Van, Glam.
- b. by 1533, 1st s. of Edward Lewis of The Van by Anne, da. of Sir William Morgan of Pencoed, Mon. m. (1) by 1561, Margaret, da. of Robert Gamage of Coity, Glam., wid. of Miles Mathew of Llandaff, Glam., 3s. inc. George† 4da.; (2) Catherine, da. of (Sir) George Mathew of Radyr, Glam. suc. fa. 1573/75.1
- Offices Held
- J.p. Glam. 1564- d., q. by 1574; commr. piracy 1565, 1577; sheriff 1569-70, 1586-7; dep. lt. 1587; mayor, Cardiff, Glam. in 1577.2
- The Lewis family of Glamorgan was of ancient Welsh lineage. Thomas Lewis’s father had established himself at The Van, near Caerphilly. Because this was in Glamorgan, although belonging to the parish of Bedwas in Monmouthshire, and because most of their property lay in Glamorgan, both Lewis and his father did their administrative work in that county, but there can be little doubt that it was he who sat for Monmouth Boroughs in 1555: the sheriff who returned him, Walter ap Robert, seems to have been on good terms with his father, and his kinship to the Morgans of Pencoed is likely to have helped since both knights of the shire were related to that family. Of his life up to that point the only glimpse is the grant to him in June 1554 of a grange in Llandaff formerly of Margam abbey and then in the tenure of his father. As a Member of the Parliament of 1555 he is not to be found among those who opposed one of the government’s bills.3
- His record in county administration from 1564 and his association with the Herberts show that Lewis accommodated himself to the new regime both at the centre and in Wales. He settled in Cardiff, where he built a fine house and served a term as mayor. It was there that he made his will on 7 Sept. 1593. To his wife he left the house at Cardiff, various lands, livestock and cash, while his son George received properties recently purchased from the 2nd Earl of Pembroke and another house at Cardiff. The executor was the eldest son Edward, and the will was proved on 3 Feb. 1595. Lewis died on 2 Nov. 1594 possessed of lands in Glamorgan worth £12 8s.4d. a year and in Monmouthshire worth £2 1s.4d.4
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/lewis-thomas-iii-1533-94
- Thomas Lewis (by 1533-94), of The Van, Glamorganshire, was a Welsh politician.
- He was a Member (MP) of the Parliament of England for Monmouth Boroughs in 1555.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Lewis_(died_1594)
- LEWIS, George, of Llystalybont, nr. Cardiff, Glam.
- 2nd s. of Thomas Lewis† (d.1594), of The Van by his 1st w. Margaret, da. of Robert Gamage of Coity. m. (1) Katherine, da. of Miles Mathew of Castell y mynach, 3s., (2) Mary, da. of Francis Zouche, 1da.; (3) Mary, da. of William Gore of Wilts., 3s. 4da.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/lewis-george
THIS LINK IS NO LONGER WORKING - Source: http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I71748&tree=Dodge
Thomas Lewis, MP's Timeline
Van, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Machen, Monmouth, Wales
Llystalbont, Glamorganshire, Wales
Of Van, Montgomery, Wales
<Of Van, Montgomery, Wales>
<Van, Montgomery, Wales>
<Van, Montgomery, Wales>
<Van, Montgomery, Wales>