Thomas Morgan, Esq
|Also Known As:||"Thomas of Machen Morgan", "Esq. to Body Henry VII"|
|Birthplace:||Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, Wales|
|Death:||Died in St Mellons Church, Llanrhymney, Glamorgan, Wales|
|Place of Burial:||Wales, United Kingdom|
Son of Sir John Morgan, Knight of the Holy Sepulchre and Janet verch John Mathew
|Managed by:||Scott David Hibbard|
About Thomas Morgan, Esq
- Thomas Morgan, Esq.1,2,3,4
- M, #73932, b. circa 1482, d. after 1538
- Father Sir John Morgan1,3 b. c 1438, d. c 1492
- Mother Jonet Mathew1,3 b. c 1455
- Thomas Morgan, Esq. was born circa 1482 at of Machen, Monmouthshire, Wales. He married Elizabeth Vaughn, daughter of Sir Roger Vaughan and Jane Whitney, circa 1505; They had 4 sons (Roland; Rheinault; John; & Edmund) and 6 daughters (Margred, wife of John ap Jenkin Kemeys, & of William ap Edmund Adam ap Ifor; Jane, wife of Jenkin ap Gwilym & of William Gunter; Constance, wife of William ap John; Elizabeth, wife of John Prosser; Mary, wife of Edward ap William, & of Nicholas Herbert; & Margred, wife of William ap Thomas). He also had an illegitimate son (Harry, Canon of Llandaf, Chaplain to King Henry VIII).1,2,3,4 Thomas Morgan, Esq. died after 1538.1,3
- Family Elizabeth Vaughn b. c 1485
- Roland Morgan+ b. c 1508, d. 1577
- Edmund Morgan1,3 b. c 1514, d. b May 1595
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 709.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 191.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2460.htm#i73932
- Thomas MORGAN (Esq.)
- Born: ABT 1482, Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England
- Died: 1538
- Father: John MORGAN (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Jonet MATHEW
- Married: Elizabeth VAUGHAN (b. 1486) (dau. of Sir Roger Vaughan and Jane Whitney)
- 1. Rowland MORGAN (Sir Knight)
- 2. Rheinallt MORGAN
- 3. John MORGAN
- 4. Edmund MORGAN
- 5. Margaret MORGAN
- 6. Barbara MORGAN
- 7. Maud MORGAN
- 8. Jane MORGAN
- 9. Constance MORGAN
- 10. Mary MORGAN
- 11. Elizabeth MORGAN
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/MORGAN.htm#Thomas MORGAN (Esq.)1
- Thomas Morgan1
- M, #471573
- Last Edited=10 Jun 2011
- Thomas Morgan is the son of Sir John Morgan and Jonnet Mathew.1 He married Elizabeth Vaughan, daughter of Roger Vaughan.1
- He also had six daughters.1
- Children of Thomas Morgan and Elizabeth Vaughan
- 1.Rowland Morgan+1
- 2.John Morgan1
- 1.[S21] L. G. Pine, The New Extinct Peerage 1884-1971: Containing Extinct, Abeyant, Dormant and Suspended Peerages With Genealogies and Arms (London, U.K.: Heraldry Today, 1972), page 271. Hereinafter cited as The New Extinct Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p47158.htm#i471573
- A history of the family of Morgan, from the year 1089 to present times ([1902?])
- VIII. LLEWELYN ap IVOR of Tredegar, Lord of St Clear, married Angharad, daughter of Sir Morgan ap Meredith, from the Welsh Lords of Caerleon, ap Griffith ap Meredith ap Rhys, who bore "Argent a lion rampant sable." Sir Morgan died 1332, when Angharad was aged 32. They had : 1. Morgan. 2. Ivor Hael, whence MORGAN OF GWERN-Y-CLEPPA. 3. Philip, whence LEWIS OF ST. PIERRE.
- IX. MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, married Maud, daugter of Rhun ap Grono ap Llwarch, Lord of Cibwr. He died before 1384. Issue: 1. Llewelyn. 2. Philip, whence MORGAN OF LANGSTONE. 3. John, father of Gwenllian, married David Goch ap David, 4. Christian, married Jevan ap Jenkin Kemeys. 5. Ann, married David Gwilim David of Rhiwperra. 6. Margaret, married Traherne ap Meyric of Merthyr. 7. A daughter, married Thomas ap Gwillim of Carnllwyd. 8. Elenor, married Grono ap Howel Bennet.
- X. LLEWELYN ap MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, living 1387, married Jenet daughter and heir of David-vychan ap David of Rhydodyn, 1384-87. Issue: 1. Jevan. 2. Christy, married Madoc ap Jevan of Gelligaer. 3. —— , married Roger ap Adam of St. Mellon's. 4. —— , married Madoc of Bassalleg. 5. —— , married Thomas Llewelyn. 6. Ann, married John ap Jenkin. 7. —— , married —— of Raglan. 8. —— , married —— of Builth.
- XI. JEVAN MORGAN, 1415-48, married Denise, or Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas ap Llewelyn-vychan of Lllangattog-on-Usk. Issue: 1. John. 2. David, 1442-48. 3. Jenkyn, 1454.
- XII. SIR JOHN MORGAN, Knight of the Sepulchre, 1448, steward of Gwentlloog ; married Jenet, daughter and co-heir of John ap David Mathew of Llandaff. Issue: 1. Morgan. 2. Thomas, whence MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR. 3. John, whence a BRANCH. 4. Lewis, 1491. 5. William Morgan, coroner, 1501, father or John of Newport, died 1541, father of William, 1541-1559. 6. Philip, 1491. 7. Elizabeth, married John Fiennes;
- Lord Clinton and Say. 8. Jane, married William David Powel. 9. Mary, married Thomas Llewelyn-vychan of Rhiwperra. 10. Isabella, married James Kemeys of Began, ob. 1591.
- XIII. SIR MORGAN JOHN, knighted 22 June, 1497. after Blackheath ; died in 1504; married Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Morgan of Pencoyd. Issue : 1. John. 2. Margaret.
- XIV. JOHN MORGAN, ....
- MORGAN OF MACHEN AND TREDEGAR.
- XIII. THOMAS, second son of Sir John Morgan, was of Machen; esquire of the body to Henry VII.; living 1538; married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Vaughan of Porthaml. Issue: 1. Rowland. 2. Reynold, whence MORGAN OF LLANVEDW. 3. John, whence MORGAN OF BASSALLEG. 4. Edmond, whence MORGAN OF PENLLWYN-SARTH. 5. Margaret, married 1st John Kemeys, 2d William Edmunds. 6. Barbara, married Sir Henry Seymour. 7. Maud, married John ap Rosser. 8, Jane, married 1st William Gunter, 2d Richard ap Jenkin, 3d William Vaughan of Magor. 9. Constance, married William
- Jones of Treowen. 10. Mary, married 1st Edward Williams, 2d Richard Herbert. 11. Elizabtth, married Edward James.
- XIV. ROWLAND MORGAN of Machen, 1517-77, married Blanch, daughter of John Thomas of Llanarth. Settlement 11 Nov. 1517; sheriff 1557. Issue: 1. Thomas, 2. Henry, whence MORGAN OF ST. MELLON'S. 3. Catherine, married 1st Thomas Mathew, 2d Miles Morgan, 3d Henry Jones. 4. Ann, married Philip Morgan of Gwern-y-Cieppa. 5. Mary, married Thomas Lewis of Rhiwperra. 6. Elizabeth, married Edward Kemeys of Cefn Mably.
- MORGAN, William I (d.1569), of Tredegar, Mon.
- 1st s. of John Morgan of Tredegar by Lettice, da. of George Herbert of St. Julian’s. m. Catherine, da. of Sir Thomas Bodenham of Rotherwas, Herefs., s.p.; at least 1s. illegit.1
- .... Nearly all the many Morgan families of this area were offshoots of Tredegar stock, the equally important Machen branch being founded by William Morgan’s great-uncle Thomas Morgan.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/morgan-william-i-1569
- MORGAN, John I (d. by 28 Jan. 1572), prob. of Arkeston in Kingston, Herefs. and Carmarthen.
- Another, though less likely, identification for the Leominster Member is John Morgan of Bassaleg, Monmouthshire, son of Thomas Morgan of Machen, esquire of the body, by Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Vaughan of Porthaml, Breconshire. He married (1) Anne, daughter of Lewis ap John of Baglan, Glamorgan; (2) Maud, daughter of Richard Jenkins of Llanowen (?Llanoethin, Glam.), and had five sons including Henry Morgan I, customer of Cardiff, and four daughters.4
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/morgan-john-i-1572
- The History of Monmouthshire By David Williams
- PEDIGREE of the very ancient Family of JONES. .... Pg.156-159
- Thomas ap David ap Jenkin, of Treowen, in the Marches of Wales, Efq. = Margaret, daughter of Morgan Kemeys, Efq.; ch: John (m. Anne Morgan) ap Thomas
- John ap Thomas of Treowen, in the Marches of Wales, Efq. = Ann, daughter of David ap Gwillim Morgan of Arkfton, Efq.; ch: William (m. Conftance Morgan) John alias Jones
- William John alias Jones, of Treowen, Efq. married his firft wife in 1520, ftiled in deeds, between 1570 and 1600, lord of the manors, Henrie, Obeth Caftle, Arnold, Llanarth, and Kevendugloid = Conftance, daughter of Thomas Morgan, of Machen and fifter of Rowland Morgan- firft wife; ch: (Pg.159 John (m. Anne Doddington) ; = Ann, daughter of Sir Walter Hawley, of Suffex, Knight, fecond wife.; ch: (Pg.159 Philip Jones of London ; = Elizabeth, daugher of Richard Herbert of Penkelly, Efq. third wife.; ch: (Pg.159 Blanch (m. Rowland Morgan of Machen) Jones)
- John Jones of Treowen, Efq. fon and heir apparent in 1563; living 1605; died before 1609; = Ann, daughter of Giles Doddington of Somerfet, Efq. furvived her hufband, Will, dated in 1609.; ch: William (m. Jane Gwilliam) Jones
- William Jones of Trewowen and Lanarth Court, Efq.; = Jane, fole daughter and heir-apparent, 1599, of Moor Gwilliam of Monmouth, Efq.; ch: Sir Philip (m. Elizabeth Morgan) Jones
- Sir Philip Jones of Treowen, Knight, Lieutenant-Colonel of the troops raifed in Monmouthfhire, for King Charles the Firft: in the lift of compounders, publifhed in 1665, Sir Philip Jones of Treowen, Knight, and William his fon, are fet down at 1050l. This gentleman, his lady, and family were in Ragland Caftle, with the Marquis of Worcefter, when it furrendered to the Parliament forces. See Sanderfon;s Hiftory of Charles the Firft: ob. 1660.; = Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Edward Morgan of Lantarnam, Baronet; ch: William (m. Mary Anderton) Jones.
- William Jones of Lanarth Court and Treowen, Efq. died in 1667; = Mary, daughter to Chriftopher Anderton of Loftock co. Lancafter, by Althea, daughter of Sir Francis Smith; ch: Philip (m. Anne Baffet) Jones
- Philip Jones of Lanarth Court, and Treowen, Efq.; = Ann, daughter of Anthony Baffet of London, Efq.; ch: John (m. Florence Morgan) Jones
- John Jones of Lanarth Court, Treowen, and Penllwyn, Co. Monmouth, Efq.; = Florence, fifter and heir of Henry Morgan of Penllwyn, Efq. ob. Dec. 1765; ch: Philip (m. Catherine Weyborne), Edmund, John, William (m. Elizabeth Morgan) Jones
- William Jones of Clytha Houfe, Co. Monmouth, Efq. now living, and a Widower; = Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Morgan, of Tredegar, Knight of the Bath, by Lady Rachel Cavendifh; and fifter and heir of her brother William Morgan, Efq. ob. S.P.
- a. Sir John Morgan of St. Clere and Tredegar
- m. Jonnet Mathew (dau of John Mathew of Llandaff)
- (1) Sir Morgan Morgan of Tredegar
- m. Margaret Morgan (dau of Sir Thomas Morgan of Langston @@ below
- (A) John Morgan of Tredegar (d after 04.04.1513)
- (i) William Morgan of Tredegar (dsp before 27.06.1569)
- m. Katherine Bodenham (dau of Thomas Bodenham of Roderwas)
- (A) John Morgan of Tredegar (d after 04.04.1513)
- (2) Thomas Morgan of Machem (5th son)
- m. Elizabeth Vaughan (dau of Roger Vaughan of Talgarth)
- (A) Rowland Morgan of Machem (a 1570)
- m. (by 11.1517) Blanch Thomas (dau of John Thomas of Treowen)
- (i) Thomas Morgan of Machem and Tredegar
- m. Elizabeth Bodenham (b 1543, dau of Roger Bodenham of Roderwas)
- (a) Sir William Morgan of Tredegar (d before 13.09.1653)
- m1. (1598) Elizabeth Wintour (dau of Sir William Wintour of Lidney)
- m2. Bridget Morgan (d before 1627, dau of Anthony Morgan of Hayford)
- (b) Katherine Morgan probably of this generation
- m. William Herbert of Colebrooke
- (c) Blanch Morgan probably of this generation
- m. Sir Edward Lewis of the Van
- (ii) Harry Morgan of Llanrumney ancestor of Morgans of Llanrumney
- (iii)+ 4 daughters
- (B) John Morgan ancestor of Morgans of Bassalegge
- (3) Elizabeth Morgan probably of this generation
- m. John Clinton, 7th Lord (d 04.06.1515)
- (4)+ other issue ( a 1491) - Philip, Lewis, William
- .... etc.
- From: Stirnet.com
Name: Thomas Morgan
Birth: ABT. 1482
Death: AFT. 1538
Note: Second son of Machen; esquire of the body to Henry VII. Living in 1538
Father: John (Sir) Morgan b: ABT. 1428
Mother: Jenet (or Jonet) Mathew b: 1445
Marriage 1 Elizabeth Vaughan b: ABT. 1486
Rheinallt Morgan b: ABT. 1510
John Morgan b: ABT. 1512
Edmond Morgan b: ABT. 1514
Margred Morgan b: ABT. 1516
Rowland Morgan b: 1517 in Machem, Monmouth, England
Barbara Morgan b: ABT. 1518
Maud Morgan b: 1520
Jane Morgan b: ABT. 1522
Constance Morgan b: ABT. 1524
Mary Morgan b: ABT. 1526
Elizabeth Morgan b: ABT. 1528
Morgan Hywel Wolfe was probably born in the early 1400s, too early to have fathered Barbara who was probably born about 1518 as her son John, probably her youngest child, was aged 18 at his father's death in 1578. [Seymour Dawn by Robin Forbes Patterson (1999): 253, citing House of Commons 1509-1558, Members by S T Bindoff]. It is therefore suggested she was a daughter of his grandson "Thomas d'd Morgan, alias woulf [Llyfr Baglan: 318; WG: WOLF 2]. This man is the only Thomas on the Wolf pedigree, and is of the right generation. ...
SOURCES: LDS FHL AF# (familysearch.org) AWTP: "The Ancestry of Overmire Tifft Richardson Bradford Reed" Larry Overmire firstname.lastname@example.org
Thomas Morgan, Esq's Timeline
Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, Wales
Llanfedw, Is Caeach, Glamorgan, Wales
Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, Wales, United Kingdom
Bedwellty, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England
Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England
Machen, Gwynilwg, Monmouthshire, Wales
Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, Wales
Mecham, Monsmouth, Wales