Thomas Richardson, of Woburn

Is your surname Richardson?

Research the Richardson family

Thomas Richardson, of Woburn's Geni Profile

Records for Thomas Richardson

5,812,714 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Thomas Richardson, of Woburn

Also Known As: "Thomas IV Richardson"
Birthdate:
Birthplace: Westmill, Hertfordshire, England
Death: Died in Woburn, Essex, Massachusetts Bay Colony
Place of Burial: Woburn, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
Immediate Family:

Son of Thomas Richardson, lll, of Standon and Katherine Duxford
Husband of Mary Margaret Bacon
Father of Abigail Marrett; Mary Baldwin (Richardson); Sarah Bacon; Isaac Richardson; Thomas Richardson and 3 others
Brother of Elizabeth Jane Wymant (Richardson); James Richardson; Samuel Richardson, of Woburn; George Richardson; John Richardson and 4 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Thomas Richardson, of Woburn

From:; Find A Grave Memorial# 59943874

Thomas Richardson

  • Birth: Jul. 3, 1608 in Westmill, Hertfordshire, England
  • Death:  Aug. 28, 1651 in Woburn, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, USA
  • • He was the son of Thomas Richardson and Katherine Duxford.
  • • He married Mary Baldwin on March 4, 1635 in Woburn MA 
  • Family links:
    • Spouse:  Mary Baldwin Bacon (1612 - 1670) 
    • Children:  Mary Richardson Baldwin (1638 - 1657)*  
  • Burial: First Burial Ground in Woburn, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, USA
 ***************************

Type: Indiv Note:

  • Came over in the fleet with Gov. Winthrop in 1630 (in the Arabella) and
    • settled first at Charlestown and then at Woburn where he was one of the founders of the church.
  • Freeman May 2, 1638,
  • Removed to Woburn, 1640.
  • Proprietor. Town officer.
  • Wife Mary admitted to church 12-21-1635.
  • Died Aug. 28, 1651
 ***************************

http://books.google.com/books?id=NfksAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1931&lpg=PA1931&dq=Thomas+Richardson+of+Standon&source=bl&ots=mJH8oHouqg&sig=e_UgW_CVDEfrm6uf_ftfKjs8JGM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IdH7U4GbIcTdoAS4rYDwAQ&ved=0CB0Q6AEwADg8#v=onepage&q&f=false

New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record of the ..., Volume 4  edited by William Richard Cutter (pg. 1931)

“(II) Thomas (2),

  • son of Thomas (1) Richardson,
  • was baptized at Westmill, Hertfordshire, England, July 3, 1608.
  • He was one of three brothers, Thomas, Samuel, and Ezekiel, and he very likely came over in 1635.
  • He was admitted a freeman at Charlestown, Massachusetts, May 2, 1638, and was one of the seven chosen by that town to commence the settlement of Woburn, Massachusetts.
  • His wife, Mary was admitted to the Charlestown church, February 21, 1635-36, that being the earliest record of the family. He had land granted him in Malden, Massachusetts, and
  • he died August 28, 1651.
  • He joined the church, February, 1637-38, and held various town offices.
  • He married Mary ______, and
    • she married (second) Michael Bacon, who is said to have come from Ireland, one of the original settlers of Woburn in 1641.
    • She died May 19, 1670.
  • Children:
    • Mary, baptized November 22, 1640;
    • Isaac, mentioned below;
    • Thomas, born October 4, 1645;
    • Ruth, April 15, 1647;
    • Phebe, January 24, 1648-49;
    • Nathaniel, January 2, 1650-51.
 *************************

http://minerdescent.com/2011/10/03/thomas-richardson/

Thomas’ wife Mary Baldwin was born 1612 in England.

  • After Thomas died, she married 26 Oct 1655
    • in Wolburn, Mass to Michael Bacon
      • (b. 16 Feb 1639 in Winston, Suffolk, England -d. 13 Aug 1707 in Bedford, Middlesex, Mass.)
    • Mary died 19 May 1670 in Woburn, Mass
  • An Inventory of the Goods of Thomas Richardson, late of Woburn.
    • 4 Working Oxen 24. 0. 0
 • 5 Cows 22. 10. 0
 • 3 Steers 8. 0. 0
 • 2 Heffers 4. 10. 0
 • 3 Calves 4. 0. 0
 • 1 Mare 4. 0. 0
 • 1 Ewe 1. 0. 0
 • 8 Swine 5. 0. 0
 • Corne in the Barne 30. 0. 0
 • 10 pieces of pewter 1. 0. 0
 • 3 pieces of Brass 1. 5. 0
 • 3 Iron pots 1. 0. 0
 • 5 pairs of Sheets 1. 13. 4
 • 1 table Cloth,
 • 2 pillow beers 0. 5. 0
 • Bedding and the Furniture belonging to it 3. 0. 0
 • His wearing apparel 4. 5. 0
 • Two muskets and other arms 2. 4. 0
 • Tubs and other wooden vesells 0. 16. 0
 • 1 Table, 1 Cupboard, 2 chares and other lumber 0. 16. 0
 • Iron tools 0. 17. 0 Carte, plows, chaines, and other instruments of husbandry 7. 13. 0

    • For his servant’s time, that he hath yet to serve 6. 0. 0 ——– £133. 14. 4
    • Further, the said Thomas Richardson died possed of one Dwelling House, Barn, and One hundred acres of Land, situate in the Town of Woburn, of which 25 acres are plowed land, and ten of meadow, Real Estate valued at 80 pounds.
    • He is indebted the sum of ten pounds, ten shillings.
    • The two steers formerly forgotten, 4 pounds ten shillings.
    • Following the inventory, and it would seem a part of it is this statement:
    • ‘He hath left a wife, three sons, and four daughters.
      • The eldest son is 8 years old;
      • the second, 6 years; and the
      • third, three-quarters [of a year].
      • The eldest daughter is 13 years old;
      • the second, 11 years;
      • the third, 4 years;
      • the fourth, 2 years.’
  • Samuel and Thomas were on a committee to lay out lots (of land) for hayfields 1 July 1636.
  • Children of Thomas and Mary
    • i. Nathaniel Richardson was wounded in the “Great Swamp Fight,” Dec. 19, 1675.
 *************************

Charlestown, settled in 1629, only nine years after the Pilgrims founded Plymouth Colony, is actually the starting point of Woburn’s history. In the early 1630s, looking to expand Charlestown, its citizens petitioned the newly elected representatives of the Great and General Court of Massachusetts Bay Colony for more land. A wide extent of territory on the “main land” eight miles northward was granted to Charlestown (this area includes present day Woburn, Winchester, Burlington and parts of Stoneham and Wilmington).

In February of 1640 a group set forth from Charlestown to find a suitable location for their projected town. After much deliberation, present day Woburn Center was chosen as the site for the new Village.

On November 5, 1640 a committee of seven was appointed by Charlestown to determine the boundary lines of the new settlement. The seven men who received this grant to undertake the settlement of Charlestown Village, as it was to be called, were Captain Edward Johnson, Thomas Richardson, Samuel Richardson, Ezekiel Richardson, Thomas Graves, Edward Converse and John Mousall. These men were required to build houses for habitation within two years. They also were entrusted with the power to grant lands to other persons willing to build and live within the newly formed Village. The grant further stated that it was the duty of these men to select newcomers who would work as a unit to improve the land, lay out the streets and maintain a civil and religious society.

http://users.rcn.com/woblib/chrnlgy.htm


http://ntgen.tripod.com/bw/erbio.html An Overview

"1630.. Ezekiel and Susannah (Bradford) Richardson arrive in the first substantial immigration of the Puritans in Winthrop's Fleet. ... (Ezekiel's) brothers, Samuel and Thomas, follow shortly. They are in the Colony by the middle to late 1630's."

•1640.. The three Richardson brothers, with others, are commissioned by Governor John Winthrop to establish a colony at Woburn, Massachusetts. The Richardson brothers build homes close together so that the road passing by becomes known as Richardson's Row. The Richardson brothers are large landholders in the Woburn area. The area of Richardson's Row is in what is now Winchester, Massachusetts.

Bibliographic Note

In 1876, John Adams Vinton published a comprehensive genealogy of the descendants of the three Richardson brothers (The Richardson Memorial, Comprising a Full History and Genealogy of the Posterity of the three brothers, Ezekiel, Samuel, and Thomas Richardson (Portland, Maine, 1876). In 1903, Walter Kendall Watkins published the data on the English origin of the Richardson’s (NEHGR 57:298-300), and this material was incorporated in Walter Goodwin Davis’s treatment of the family (Sarah Hildreth Anc 25-31)


The immigrant was Thomas Richardson who came to America in 1638. he was brought from Eng. by Christopher Branch to Henrico Co. Va.Thomas's son Melchizadeck, Sr. and he was father of Melchizadeck, Jr. who married Elizabeth Branch, grand daughter of Christopher Branch who brought Thomas to America. The fourth generation was John Richardson who married Mary Curd. Mary d. 03 Oct. 1791 ans John d. 24 Sept. 1753. Mary Curd was the dau. of Edward Curd, Sr. John Richardson, Jr. was married to Sarah Cook. He was the oldest of their 10 children.

view all 28

Thomas Richardson, of Woburn's Timeline

1608
July 3, 1608
Westmill, Hertfordshire, England
July 3, 1608
Westmill Parish, Hertfordshire, England
July 3, 1608
July 3, 1608
England
July 3, 1608
Westmill, Hereford, England
July 3, 1608
Westmill, Hereford, England
July 3, 1608
July 3, 1608
Westmill, Hereford, England
July 3, 1608
Westmill, Hereford, Eng