Matching family tree profiles for Thomas Swearingen, II
About Thomas Swearingen, II
- Birth: 1688 in Calvert County, Maryland - now Prince George's County, Maryland
- Parents:Thomas Swearingen b: ABT 1665, Jane Hyde
- Wife: Lydia Riley
- Death: before 12 May 1726 in Prince George's County, Maryland
May of 1726 marked the death of Thomas Swearingen, a slave-owning plantation owner living not far from the Potomac River near present-day Chevy Chase, Maryland (a northern suburb of Washington DC). He left behind 3 daughters – Margaret, Luranna, and Mary – and two sons including Thomas, who was 18, and Van, who was a young lad of 7. All the children were bequeathed land in the will: Margaret and Luranna each received 40 acres of “Hills Choys”, Mary received 96 acres of “Swearingens Pasture”, Thomas received 70 acres of “Forest”, and young Van received 70 acres of “Forest” and 20 acres of “Hills Choys”.
9. THOMAS4 SWEARINGEN (THOMAS3 VAN SWEARINGEN, GARRETT2 VAN SWERINGEN, DAVID JANSE1 SWIERINGH) was born 1688 in Prince George's or Sommerset County, Maryland, and died Abt. April 12, 1726 in Shepherdstown, Mill, Virginia, or Prince George County, Maryland. He married LYDIA JANE RILEY Abt. April 08, 1708 in Queen Anne Parrish Register, Prince George, Maryland, daughter of HUGH RILEY and MARGARET PLOUMER. She was born 1691 in Somerset County, Maryland, and died February 24, 1764 in near Shepherdstown, Virginia.
About 1734, Thomas Swearingen settled near the present site of Shepherdstown, West Virginia, on the Potomac River, where he passed the remainder of his days, having accumulated considerable land, which remained in the possesion of his descendants for more than a century. (SIC: this must refer to a different Thomas Swearingen)
Source: Smoky Mountain Clans, Volume 2', 1983, Donald B. Reagan, page 108. 'Family Register of Garret Van Swearingen and desccendants'. H.H. Swearingen, 1894, page 5
Thomas Swearingen was born in Maryland in 1688; he was married in 1712; his wife's given name was Lydia; she was born in 1691; and died in 1764; he emigrated in 1734 to Virginia and settled on the Potamic River, near Shepherdstown.
Source: Swearingen Microfilm Independence geaneology dept.
More About THOMAS SWEARINGEN:
Fact 1: Christened at St. Barnabas Epi, Queen Anne's Par, Leland, Maryland
Thomas Swearingen and Lydia each inherited plantations from their fathers in Prince Georges Co, MD. On 17 Nov 1716, Hugh Riley of Prince Georges conveyed a deed of gift, 120 acres called "Riley's Giff ', "unto my daughter Leady Riley now wife of Thomas Swaringein". In 1717, Thomas obtained 96 acres in Prince Georges called "Swearinghams Pasture. On 24 May 1723, Hugh presented a deed of gift to Thomas Swearingen, his "son-iii-law". 120 acres, part of "The Forrest". Thomas and Lydia's children were christened at St Bamabas Episcopal Church. Queen Anne. Parish, Prince Georges Co, Leeland, MD (Hall of Records, Annapolis, MD). Thomas died in Prince Georges Co in 1726 (will follows).
NOTE: Either Margaret or Mary married Francis Dossett who was named in a will written in Frederick Co.. VA. 20 May 1750, proved 7 Aug 1759, "H@ Dossett, son of Francis". The will listed his cousins Thomas, Andrew, @'an and Zachariah; Aunt Sarah, wife of Thomas Swearingen, and his grandmother, Lydia Riley Swearingen.
Abstract of the will of THOMAS SWEARINGEN, dated 12 Apr 1726, proved 12 May 1726 (Hall of Records, Annapolis, MD, Prince Georges Co Will # 1 8,50 1, Bk 5, p 109) -To eldest son Thomas and heirs, 70 acres "The Forest" had of father-in-law Hugh Riley. -To youngest son Van and heirs, 70 acres of afsd. tract and 20 acres of "Hills Choys" had of father -To dau's Margarit and Lurana and their heirs, each 40 acres of "Hills Choys", -To eldest daughter Mary and heirs, 80 acres "Swearingen's Pasture", Prince Georges Co, Should either sons Thomas or Van die before age, the survivor to inherit portion of dec'd; should either of girls die before age, survivor of them to inherit portion of dec'd. Test: John Sherwood, Joseph Chaplin, Ann Clarke.
Children of THOMAS SWEARINGEN and LYDIA RILEY are:
- THOMAS5 SWEARINGEN, b. Abt. April 08, 1708, Queen Anne , Prince George or "Sommerset" County, Maryland or Shepherdstown, WV; d. Abt. June 03, 1760, Shepardstown, Jefferson, West Virginia.
- MARY SWEARINGEN, b. August 11, 1710.
- LURANNAH VAN SWEARINGEN, b. October 15, 1713, Queen Anne , Prince George, Maryland; d. Bef. 1805, Burke, North Carolina.
- MARGARET SWEARINGEN, b. February 17, 1715/16, Queen Anne , Prince George, Maryland.
- ZACHEUS SWEARINGEN, b. Abt. 1717, Shepardstown, Jefferson, West Virginia.
- JOHN SWEARINGEN, b. Abt. 1717, Prince George, Maryland.
- JOSEPH SWEARINGEN, b. Abt. 1719, Shepardstown, Jefferson, West Virginia.
- "KING VAN" SWEARINGEN, b. May 22, 1719, Queen Anne , Prince George or Sommerset County, Maryland; d. April 20, 1788, Shephedstown, Berkley County, West" Virginia".
- BENONE SWEARINGEN, b. Abt. 1721, Shepardstown, Jefferson, West Virginia.
- DRUSILLA SWEARINGEN, b. Abt. 1723, Shepardstown, Jefferson, West Virginia.
- SALLIE SWEARINGEN, b. Abt. 1725, Shepardstown, Jefferson, West Virginia.
- ELEANOR SWEARINGEN, b. Abt. 1727, Shepardstown, Jefferson, West Virginia.