view all 13
About Thomasine Wise
- A genealogical and heraldic history of the commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, enjoying territorial possessions or high official rank; but univested with heritable honours (1835) Vol. 1
- WISE, OF FORD HOUSE
- JOHN WISE, inherited lands from the Trevages and Sydenhams, and was sheriff of the county of Devon, in the 5th of Henry IV. His son,
- THOMAS WISE, m. Margaret, daughter and heiress of Robert Brett, esq. of Slottiscombe, (descended from Alured de Brito). By this lady he acquired the manor of Stoke Dama-
- rell, where the Wises built a house, called Mount Wise. He had issue,
- JOHN WISE, of Sydenham, in Devonshire, who m. Thomasine, daughter of Sir Baldwin Fulford, of Great Fulford, in Devonshire, and had issue,
- Alicia, m. to James Russel, esq. and was mother of John, first Earl of Bedford
- He was s. by his son,
- OLIVER WISE, of Sydenham. This gentleman m. Margaret, daughter of John Tremayne, .....
Married: 1465 in Great Fulford, Devon, England
- Devonshire Wills: A Collection of Annotated Testamentary Abstracts, Together ... By Charles Worthy
- .... John Wise of Sydenham, was the father of Thomas Wise, whose wife, Margaret, daughter and heir of Robert Britt (see "House of Brito," post), brought him much additional property in various part of Devonshire, notably that since know as "Mount Wise," which has long been the military headquarters at Devonport, otherwise Stoke Damarel.
- The next John Wise of Sydenham married Thomazine, daughter of Sir Baldwin Fulford, of Great Fulford, near Exeter, Knight of the sepulchre, and Sheriff of Devon 38th Henry VI. He had two children, a son and daughter ; the latter was the mother of the first Lord Russell, and the ancestress of the Dukes of Bedford.
- Lord Russell's uncle, Oliver Wise, by his wife Margaret Tremayne .... etc.
- .... Sir Baldwin had a son and heir, Thomas; a son John, who was Archdeacon of Totnes, Cornwall, and Exeter, successively, between the years 1499 and 1518, when he died and was buried in Exeter Cathedral; and two daughters, the eldest of whom, Thomazine, married Sir Thomas Wise, and, through her daughter Alice, was the ancestress of the present Dukes of Bedford (see Wise pedigree, ante), whilst the youngest Anna, married Sir William Cary, her kinsman, who fell at Tewkesbury in 1471.
- .... etc.
- The Visitations of the County of Devon: Comprising ..., Volume 1, Pages 1-452 edited by John Lambrick Vivian
- WISE OF SIDENHAM.