Sir Walter Devereux, KG, 1st Viscount Hereford, 9th Baron Ferrers of Chartley
|Also Known As:||"1st Viscount Hereford"|
|Birthplace:||Stowe-by-chartley, Stowe, Staffordshire, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Chartley, Staffordshire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Stowe Church, Chartley|
Son of John Devereux, 8th Baron Ferrers of Chartley and Cecily Devereux, Baroness Ferrer
|Occupation:||Married before Dec 15, 1503 in Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England|
|Managed by:||Eric Michael ANDERSON|
Matching family tree profiles for Sir Walter Devereux, KG, 1st Viscount Hereford, 9th Baron Ferrers of Chartley
About Sir Walter Devereux, KG, 1st Viscount Hereford, 9th Baron Ferrers of Chartley
In May 1501, his father died and Walter succeeded him as the 9th Baron Ferrers of Chartley. On 7 December 1509 he had special livery, although still under age, without proof of age or payment of relief for his father’s lands.
He was created High Steward of Tamworth on 20 November 1510, and joint Constable of Warwick Castle on 15 Feb 1511 with Sir Edward Belknapp. He was also joint Steward of the manor, town, or borough of Warwick. On 27 January 1513, he was appointed Keeper of Netherwood Park; Councillor and Royal Commissioner of Wales and the Marches on 1 August 1513; and High Steward of Hereford in 1514.
Walter Devereux served with distinction in the War of the League of Cambrai (1508–1516) and the Italian War of 1521-1526. He was Captain in the English Army in France 24 August 1523. For his gallantry in the sea fight off Conquet (Brittany) he was honored on 13 July 1523 with his creation as a Knight of the Garter by Henry VIII of England alongside diplomat Thomas Boleyn, later Earl of Wiltshire.
He was appointed Bailiff of Sutton Coldfield (11 February 1525); Steward of the Household and Councillor to Mary, Princess of Wales (1525); Chief Justice of South Wales (22 Aug. 1525); High Steward of Builth (22 Aug. 1525); and Chamberlain of South Wales, Carmarthen and Cardigan (25 May 1526).
In the late 1520s, Devereux came into increasing conflict with Welsh magnate Rhys ap Gruffydd following King Henry's grants of major power to him in Wales as described above. This reached a head when Rhys, with a gang of armed supporters, threatened Ferrers with a knife in 1529. The two men were allowed to air their grievances, but Rhys's family continued to stir up trouble. Eventually Rhys was charged with treason, convicted and executed. The consolidation of Devereux's position in Wales helped prepare the way for the reformation.
Walter served as Custos Rotulorum of Cardiganshire from 1543 to his death. He was with King Henry VIII when Boulogne was taken on 18 September 1544.
Walter Devereux was created Viscount Hereford on 2 February 1550. He was appointed Privy Councillor (1550); joint Lord Justice and Lieutenant of Stafford (4 May 1551); and Justice of the Peace for Stafford, Worcester and Salop (18 February 1554).
Walter Devereux died on 17 September 1558] and was buried at Stowe-by-Chartley, Staffordshire. _______________________________________________________________________________________
- Sir Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford1
- M, #67730, b. 1491, d. 17 September 1558
- Father John Devereux, 3rd Lord Ferrers b. c 1464, d. 3 May 1501 or 7 May 1501
- Mother Cicely Bourchier b. c 1468
- Sir Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford was born in 1491 at of Castle Bromwich, Warwickshire, England. He married Mary Grey, daughter of Sir Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset, Lord Ferrers, Constable of the Tower of London & Ruthland Castle and Cecily Bonville, before 3 May 1501.2 Sir Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford married Margaret Garneys, daughter of Robert Garneys and Ann Bacon, after 22 February 1538; His 2nd wife.3 Sir Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford died on 17 September 1558.
Family 1 Mary Grey b. c 1494, d. 22 Feb 1538
- Sir Richard Devereux+4 b. c 1516, d. 13 Oct 1547
- Sir William Devereux+5 b. c 1525, d. b 2 Nov 1579
- Family 2 Margaret Garneys b. c 1520, d. a 12 Feb 1594
- Sir Edward Devereux+ b. 3 Aug 1558, d. 22 Sep 1622
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 478-9.
- 2.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. V, p. 326-327.
- 3.[S74] Brent Ruesch's Research Notes.
- 4.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. V, p. 326-329.
- 5.[S11588] Some Early English Pedigrees, by Vernon M. Norr, p. 65.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2254.htm#i67730
- Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford1
- M, #139900, b. circa 1491, d. 27 September 1558
- Last Edited=16 Aug 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.0%
- Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford was born circa 1491.2 He was the son of John Devereux, 2nd Lord Ferrers (of Chartley) and Cicely Bourchier.1 He married, secondly, Margaret Garneys, daughter of John Garneys.3 He married, firstly, Lady Mary Grey, daughter of Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset and Cecilia Bonville, Baroness Bonville and Harington, before 15 December 1530.2 He died on 27 September 1558.3
- Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford succeeded to the title of 3rd Lord Ferrers, of Chartley [E., 1461] in May 1501.2 He was invested as a Knight, Order of the Garter (K.G.) in 1523.2 He was invested as a Privy Counsellor (P.C.) in January 1549/50.2 He was created 1st Viscount Hereford [England] on 2 February 1549/50.1
- Children of Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford and Margaret Garneys
- 1.Sir Edward Devereux, 1st Bt.+4 d. 22 Sep 1622
- 2.Katherine Devereux4
- Children of Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford and Lady Mary Grey
- 1.Sir Richard Devereux+1 d. 13 Oct 1547
- 2.Sir William Devereux+5
- 3.Henry Devereux4
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 250. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1875. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 3.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 2, page 1876.
- 4.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 5.[S3470] Marian Hastings, "re: Hastings Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 31 Deember 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Hastings Family."
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p13990.htm#i139900
- Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford (1488 – 17 September 1558) was an English Peer.
- He was born in either Chartley Castle or the Chartley Manor which replaced it as the residence of the Barons Ferrers of Chartley following the Wars of the Roses. He was a son of John Devereux, 8th Baron Ferrers of Chartley and Cecily Bourchier.
- His paternal grandparents were Anne Ferrers, 7th Baroness Ferrers of Chartley and her husband Walter Devereux, Lord Ferrers of Chartley. His maternal grandparents were William Bourchier, Viscount Bourchier and Anne Woodville.
- William Bourchier was a son of Henry Bourchier, 1st Earl of Essex and Isabel Plantagenet. Anne Woodville was a daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers and Jacquetta of Luxembourg.
- Baron Ferrers
- On 5 March 1501, his father died and Walter succeeded him as the 9th Baron Ferrers of Chartley. He served with distinction in the War of the League of Cambrai (1508-1516) and the Italian War of 1521-1526.
- In 1523, the Baron was created a Knight of the Garter by Henry VIII of England alongside diplomat Thomas Boleyn, later Earl of Wiltshire. He served as Custos Rotulorum of Cardiganshire from 1543 to his death.
- He was created Viscount Hereford in 1550.
- Marriages and children
- He was first married to Mary Grey (1491- 22 February 1538) on 15 December 1503. She was a daughter of Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset and his second wife Cecily Bonville, Baroness Harington and Bonville.
- Cecily Bonville was the daughter and heiress of William Bonville, 6th Baron Harington by his wife Katherine Neville. Her maternal grandparents were Alice Montagu, 5th Countess of Salisbury and her consort Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury (jure uxoris).
- He was secondly married in 1539 to Margaret Garneys. She was a daughter of John Garneys of Kenton.
- By his first wife, Mary Grey he had three children:
- Sir Richard Devereux (d. 13 October 1547). Married Dorothea Hastings. She was a daughter of George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon and Anne Stafford. They were parents to Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex.
- Sir William Devereux of Mirevale Abbey. Married Jane Scudamore, daughter of John Scudamore. The marriage produced two daughters, Barbara Devereux and Margaret Devereux.
- Henry Devereux, died unmarried.
- By his second wife, Margaret Garneys he had two children:
- Sir Edward Devereux, 1st Baronet of Castle Bromwich. Married Catherine Arden. They were parents of Walter Devereux, 5th Viscount Hereford, fourth-generation ancestors of Price Devereux, 9th Viscount Hereford and fifth-generation ancestors of Edward Devereux, 11th Viscount Hereford.
- Katherine Devereux. Married Sir James Baskerville.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Devereux,_1st_Viscount_Hereford
- Walter DEVEREUX (1° V. Hereford)
- Born: 1488, Chartley, Staffordshire, England
- Acceded: 1550
- Died: 17 Sep 1558, Chartley
- Buried: Stowe Church, Chartley, Staffordshire, England
- Notes: Knight of the Garter. B. Ferrers of Chartley. The Complete Peerage vol.V, pp.326-328. Present at the capture of Boulogne.
- Father: John DEVEREUX (2º B. Ferrers of Chartley)
- Mother: Cecille BOURCHIER (B. Ferrers of Chartley)
- Married 1: Mary GREY BEF 15 Dec 1503
- 1. Richard DEVEREUX (Sir Knight)
- 2. Edward DEVEREUX
- 3. William DEVEREUX (Sir)
- 4. Catherine DEVEREUX
- 5. Henry DEVEREUX
- Married 2: Margaret GARNEYS (V. Hereford) (m.2 William Willoughby, Lord Parham) ABT 1557, England
- 6. Edward DEVEREUX
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/DEVEREUX.htm#Walter DEVEREUX (1° V. Hereford)
- The National Library of Wales :: Dictionary of Welsh Biography
- DEVEREUX of Lamphey, Pembs. , Ystrad Ffin, Carms. , Vaynor and Nantariba, Mont. , Pencoyd , Brecknock , etc. A Norman family, one branch of which settled in Herefordshire soon after the Conquest , and eventually acquired important interests in south and central Wales
- WALTER DEVEREUX ( c. 1491 - 1559 ), 1st viscount Hereford , was the eldest son of John , lord Ferrers , to whose title he succeeded in 1501 , adding to it in 1550 that of viscount Hereford . He became a member of the Council of Wales in 1513 ; in 1525 steward of the household of Mary , Princess of Wales , and C. J. of South Wales ; in 1526 chamberlain of South Wales and of the counties of Cardigan and Carmarthen . He was also high steward of Builth and steward of Old Carmarthen . In 1531 a large share of the confiscated estates of Sir Rhys ap Gruffydd (see under Rice of Dynevor ) fell to Devereux , who thus ‘assumed the leadership of West Wales ’ ( Laws , Little England , 272), and his position there was safeguarded in the Act of Union ( 27 Henry VIII, c. 26 § 39 ). He was involved in disputes with William Barlow (q.v.) , bishop of S. Davids , in 1538 , with Henry Somerset (see Somerset family ), 2nd earl of Worcester over the stewardship of Arwystli and Cyfeiliog in the same year, with the boroughs of Haverfordwest ( 1536 ) and of New Carmarthen ( 1540 ), one result of this last quarrel being the amalgamation of the two Carmarthen s. He was also a commissioner for the coastal defence in South Wales in 1539 . He is credited with the foundation of the grammar school at Carmarthen which from 1576 bore the title of Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School .
- His son Sir RICHARD (d. 1547 ) deputized for him in many of his Welsh offices, became mayor of Carmarthen ( 1536 ), and M.P. for Carmarthenshire ( 1545 ), and in 1547 received from the Crown the episcopal manor of Lamphey , recently alienated to Henry VIII by bishop Barlow , and the principal Welsh seat of the Devereux for the next century.
- DEVEREUX, Sir William (c.1525-79), of Merevale, Warws.
- b. c.1525, 2nd s. of Walter, 1st Visct. Hereford by his 1st w. Mary, da. of Thomas Grey, 1st Mq. of Dorset; bro. of Sir Richard† and half-bro. of Edward. m. Jane, da. of John Scudamore of Holme Lacy, Herefs., wid. of John Warnecombe† of Lugwardine and Hereford, Herefs., 2da. Kntd. 21 Aug. 1565.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/devereux-sir-william-1525-79
- DEVEREUX, William (by 1525-79), of Merevale, Warws.
- b. by 1525, 2nd s. of Walter Devereux, 3rd Lord Ferrers of Chartley, 1st Viscount Hereford, by 1st w.; bro. of Richard and half-bro. of Edward Devereux. m. settlement 12 Nov. 1554, Jane, da. of John Scudamore of Holme Lacy, Herefs., wid. of John Warnecombe of Lugwardine and Hereford, Herefs., 2da. Kntd. 21 Aug. 1565.2
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/devereux-william-1525-79
- DEVEREUX, Richard (by 1513-47), of Carmarthen, Carm. and Lamphey, Pemb.
- b. by 1513, 1st s. and h. app. of Walter Devereux, 3rd LordFerrers of Chartley, 1st Viscount Hereford, by 1st w. Mary, da. of Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset; bro. of William and half-bro. of Edward Devereux. m. settlement 1 July 1536, Dorothy, da. of George† Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon, 2s. inc. George 3da. KB 20 Feb. 1547.2
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/devereux-richard-1513-47
Walter Devereaux Viscount Of Hereford 31 SmartMatches
Birth: 1488 in <, Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England> 1 2
Death: 17 Feb 1558 in Stowe Church, Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England 1 2
Father: John Devereux b. About 1461 in (, Chartley, Stafford, England)
Mother: Cecily Bourchier b. About 1464 in (Tickhill, West Riding, Yorkshire, England)
Burial: (, Stow, Shropshire, England) 1 2
Unknown: , Hereford, Herefordshire, England 3 2
LDS Baptism: 14 Mar 1936
LDS Endowment: 7 May 1936 SLAKE
LDS Sealing Child: Done
Changed: 6 Oct 2002 01:00
Spouses & Children
Mary Grey Viscountess Of Hereford (Wife) b. About 1494 in (Grooby, Ratby, Leicester, England)
Marriage: Bef 15 Dec 1503 in (, Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England) 6 Nov 2004 14:29
Henry Devereux b. About 1515 in (, Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England)
Richard Devereux Knight b. About 1516 in (, Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England)
Katherine Devereux b. About 1517 in (, Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England)
William Devereux b. About 1525 in (, Chartley Lodge, Stafford, England)
Margaret Garneys (Wife) b. About 1506 in , Kenton, Suffolk, England
Marriage: Abt 1557 in (Bromwick Castle, Aston, Warwick, England) 6 Nov 2004 14:29
Edward Devereux Sr. b. 3 Aug 1558 in (Bromwick Castle, Aston, Warwick, England) ___________________
Sir Walter Devereux, KG, 1st Viscount Hereford, 9th Baron Ferrers of Chartley's Timeline
Stowe, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Chartley Castle, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
Stowe, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Aston, Warwickshire, England
February 17, 1558
Chartley, Staffordshire, England