Matching family tree profiles for Capt. William Barker, Mariner
About Capt. William Barker, Mariner
William Barker was an ancient mariner owning two ships which brought emigr ants to America in early 1600's. He was in Hopewell, VA. Prince George Co .
Sale of the Estate to William Barker by
Elizabeth, Daughter of Abraham Persey
"Abraham Persey, merchant, widower, came to Virginia in the ship Susan in 1616, and was for a number of years Cape Merchant and Treasurer of the Colony. He was also a member of the Council. In 1625 he married Frances, widow of Nathaniel West, of West and Shirley Hundred, a brother of Lord Delaware. Among other lands Abraham Persey owned Flowerdieu Hundred (1,000 acres) and Weynoake (2,200 acres) which he purchased from Sir George Yeardley (Hening 1,145). In his will, dated March 1626, ‘Abraham Persey of Persey’s Hundred, Esquire,’ directs that all his estate in Virginia (after legacies to this brother and sister and his wife’s son, Nathaniel West) shall be sold and gives his wife one-third and one-twelfth part and his daughters Mary and Elizabeth ‘the other one-third, one-sixth, and one-twelfth part.’
"Elizabeth married, firstly, Captain Richard Stephens and, secondly, Sir George Harvey, Governor. Flower de Hundred was included in her portion of her father’s estate. In 1636 it was repatented to her by Governor John West.
"‘The next owner was the picturesque William Barker, mariner, who sailed the seas in the Merchants Hope and was one of the company to found the old plantation, courthouse, and church of that name, along with one Quiney, whose brother, Thomas, married Judith Shakespeare.’
From the Virginia Historical Society holdings:
"William Barker left Flower de Hundred to his son John who, dying, left it to his sisters. An old record reads:
"‘Whereas by and after the decease of John Barker late of Flowerdue Hundred in Charles City Coun. in Virginia deceased, all that tract commonly called Flowerdue Hundred containing 1,000 acres did lawfully descend and come to Sarah then the wife of Richard Taylor, deceased, and now the wife of Robert Lucy and Elizabeth, wife of Phillip Limbry — sisters and co-heirs with the said John Barker.’
"A paper labeled ‘The Patent of flower de hundred Land April 24th 1673’ g ives to Robert Lucy & Sarah, his wife, the Uppermost part and to Phillip Limbry and Elizabeth, his wife, the South part.
"Sarah Lucy’s Uppermost part included the site of the present house. It w as described in 1673 ‘with houseing, fencing, buildings and all other profits, vantages and privileges whatsoever to the same belonging.’
He was master and captain of the ships America and Ye
Merchant's Hope. Most of his land transactions were for transporting
colonists to Virginia. He is referred to as "William Barker,
Marriner." Was in the colony as early as 1625. References to Willam
Port of London. Port Book. Christmas 1639 - Christmas 1630. Item
listin Barker -- f. 34.  In the HOPEWELL, Rd Russell Master, Wm.
Barker imported 568 lbs Va tobacco.(List of the Excchequer, Queen"s
Remembrancer, Port Books, Part I, 1565 to 1700) (Virginia Colonial
Records Project, Library of Virginia)
A letter to the Governor and Council of Virginia. 27 June 1632. The
Privy Council has received a petition pf Phillip Meade, Robert Hudson
and William Barker, citizens of London who complain about Richard
Steevens who owes them 220, 0. 0, which he does not pay. Steevens
lives in Virginia and is a member of the Council. Order to investigate
into the matter and make Steevens give satisfaction. (Virginia
Colonial Records Project, Library of Virginia)
Shown on 3/30/1634 as being in possession of 500 acres in Charles
City Co, VA, formerly land owned by Capt. Nathaniel Powell.
As master of the ship America, embarked from Gravesend, Kent,
England, to VA with 87 passengers -- several of which are among the
headrights on the 11/16/1635 patent. Also on board was a Henry Barker,
age 18. Listed in the Port Book, Port of London, Overseas Imports,
Christmas 1629 - Christmas 1630:
25 Feb. 1630.
In the Hopewel
Rd. Russell Ship Master
Wm. Barker imported 568 lbs Va tobacco
William Barker, Mariner, John Sadler, & Richard Queyning [Quiney]
11/26/1635 1250 acres Charles City County Virginia Land Patent Book 1
Merchants & to their Associates & Company, extending into the woods
from a seat or tract of land called Merchants Hope, formerly granted
to said Barker, his Associates & Company Due for the transport of 25
William Barker 11/26/1635 400 acres Charles City County Virginia Land
Patent Book 1 Page 321
Bounded upon Chappel's creek, S into the woods, E upon the River,
adj. upon Merchants Hope.
(Virginia Colonial Records Project, Library of Virginia) In 1636-7,
William Barker bought part of Flowerdieu Hundred from Mrs. Elizabeth
Stephens who had inherited the property from her father, Abraham
Piersey. William made the property prosper again. This property was
the subject of a 1677 dispute among William's heirs. Visit Flowerdieu
Hundred! Info and very nice pictures! A perspective from a very
personal point of view OR visit the museum site Flowerdew Hundred A
Virginia Landmark on the James River
In 1637 and 1639, Wm. Barker appears as a headright on 2 Henrico Co,
VA patents involving Arthur Bayley, Thomas Crosby, & Samuell Almond.
On 8/19/1637, Wm. Barker patented 600 acres in Charles City Co, VA,
called Bikers, formerly bounded by Capt. Nathaniel Powell's land.
William Barker and his Associates & Company patented 1850 acres in
Charles City Co, VA 600 acres formerly called Powelbrooke, now
Merchants Hope, had previously been owned by Nathaniell Powell
(Powell, killed at Powellbrooke in the 1622 massacre at Jamestown) and
was later sold by his brother and heir Thomas Powell to John Taylor of
London (This was a renewal of the 11/1635 patent).
John Taylor, citizen and girdler of London sold in 1638, to William
Barker, his interest in "Powellbrooke", which he had bought from
Thomas Powell, heir and brother of Nathaniel Powell, killed at
Powellbrooke in the 1622 massacre. This land was later renamed
2/27/1638 William received patent for 24 poles square (.144 acre).
Fee rent: 1 capon., etc.
5/11/1639 William patented 1300 acres in Charles City Co. 500 acres
bounding upon land he purchased of Mrs. Elizabeth Stephens, lying up
to the head of the Creek, & 800 acres in the same creek, being a neck
of land adjacent to land lately belonging to Capt. Francis Hooke &c.
This became the home of William and his family. In 1645, William
Barker represented Charles City County to House of Burgesses in James
City, Governor William Berkley in attendence. Barker was part of a
group to found the parish which built Merchants Hope Church (now in
Prince George Co.)
Born: est. 1591-5, England. Age given as about 56 in 1647 in
depositions given in Books A, B, C, D (1637-1665) in the Norfolk Co.
Clerks Office (23W (1) p38)
Married: before 1623, probably in England
Died: before 3/3/1655
He represented Charles City in the House of Burgesses in 1645.In court records he is always referred to as William Barker, mariner. He captained the ship "America" and patented "much land for the transportation of many persons.He Immigrated from England 3 March 1635.