Matching family tree profiles for William Eure, 2nd Baron Eure
About William Eure, 2nd Baron Eure
- William Eure, 2nd Lord Eure
- M, #34784, b. 27 February 1530, d. 12 February 1594
- Father Sir Ralph Eure, Burgess of Scarborough, Justice of the Peace for East Riding, Deputy Constable of Scarborough Castle b. 24 Sep 1508, d. 6 Mar 1545
- Mother Margery Bowes b. c 1510, d. a 1567
- William Eure, 2nd Lord Eure married Margaret Dymoke, daughter of Sir Edward Dymoke, Sheriff of Lincolnshire and Anne Talbois, at of Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, England. William Eure, 2nd Lord Eure was born on 27 February 1530 at Mitton, Yorkshire, England. He died on 12 February 1594 at age 63.
- Family Margaret Dymoke b. 1529
- Muriel Eure+ b. 1557
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1158.htm#i34784
- William Eure, 2nd Lord Eure1
- M, #125351, b. 10 May 1529, d. 12 September 1594
- Last Edited=8 Jan 2008
- William Eure, 2nd Lord Eure was born on 10 May 1529.2 He was the son of Sir Ralph Eure and Margery Bowes.2 He died on 12 September 1594 at age 65.2
- He gained the title of 2nd Lord Eure.
- Children of William Eure, 2nd Lord Eure
- 1.Martha Eure+1
- 2.Ralph Eure, 3rd Lord Eure+2 b. 24 Sep 1558, d. 1 Apr 1617
- 1.[S15] George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume I, page 130. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Baronetage.
- 2.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume V, page 181. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p12536.htm#i125351
- William EURE (2° B. Eure of Witton)
- Born: 27 Feb 1529/30, Mitton, Yorks, England
- Died: 12 Feb 1592/93, England
- Buried: 13 Feb 1593/1594, Ingleby, Yorkshire, England
- Notes: constituted one of the commissioners in 1587 to negotiate a league with Scotland.
- Father: Ralph EURE (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Margery BOWES
- Married: Margaret DYMOKE (B. Eure of Witton) BEF 1557, Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, England
- 1. Muriel EURE
- 2. Ralph EURE (3° B. Eure of Witton)
- 3. Charles EURE
- 4. Francis EURE (Sir Knight)
- 5. William EURE
- 6. Anne EURE
- 7. Martha EURE
- 8. Margaret EURE
- 9. Mary EURE
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/EURE.htm#William EURE (2° B. Eure of Witton)
- William [Eure], 2nd Baron Eure
- born 10 May 1529
- mar. bef. 1558 Margaret Dymoke (bur. 15 Sep 1591), dau. of Sir Edward Dymoke, of Scrivelsby, co. Lincoln, by his wife Anne Tailboys, sister of Gilbert [Tailboys], 1st Baron Tailboys, and 2nd dau. by his second wife of Sir George Tailboys, of Kyme, co. Lincoln, de jure 9th Baron Kyme
- 1. Hon Ralph Eure, later 3rd Baron Eure
- 2. Hon Sir Francis Eure, Chief Justice in North Wales (d. 1 May 1621), mar. (1) Elizabeth Lennard, dau. of John Lennard, of Chevening, and had issue: ....
- Sir Francis Eure mar. (2) Ellen Owen (widow of ..... Owen; d. bef. 14 Sep 1626), dau. and cohrss. of William Wynne Maurice, of Clenneney, co. Carnarvon, and had further issue: ....
- 3. Hon Sir William Eure, of Bradley, co. Durham, Member of Parliament for Scarborough 1601 (bapt. 21 Jan 1585/6; bur. 16 Mar 1628/9), mar. Catherine Bowes, de jure suo jure Baroness Scrope of Bolton (d. after 6 Jul 1631), only child of Sir William Bowes, of Streatlam Castle, co. Durham, by his first wife Hon Mary Scrope, only child by his first wife of Henry [Scrope], 9th Baron Scrope of Bolton, and had issue: .....
- 4. Hon Charles Eure (d. after 23 Oct 1598), mar. Elizabeth Ingham, dau. of Sir Thomas Ingham, of Goodneston, co. Kent, and had issue: .....
- 1. Hon Anne Eure (bur. 3 Apr 1627), mar. Sir William Mallory, of Studley Royal, co. York
- 2. Hon Muriel Eure, mar. 4 Nov 1578 Sir Richard Goodricke, of Ribston, co. York
- 3. Hon Martha Eure (bur. 11 Mar 1661/2), mar. 26 Apr 1590 William Armine, of Osgodby, co. Lincoln, and had issue
- 4. Hon Elizabeth Eure (d. an infant)
- 5. Hon Mary Eure (d. an infant)
- died 12 Feb 1593/4
- suc. by son
- note Warden of the Middle Marches; Captain of Berwick Castle; a Commissioner to negotiate with Scotland 1587
- From: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/
- Visitations of the North by Surtees Society, Durham, Eng
- THE PEDEGEE OF THE RIGHT HONORABLE WYLLIAM, LORD EVRE OF WYTTON NORTHUMBERLAND.
- WYLLIAM, fyrst Lord Evre, maryed the daughter to the Lord Wylloughby, and by her had yssu Raffe, sone and heyr; Henry, ijnd sone of ... Meryell, fyrst maryed to Syr George Bowes, and after to William Wyclyff; Anne, maryed to Anthony Thorpe, of Conysthorpe ; Margery, maryed to William Bukton, of Benyngham.
- SIR RAFF EURE, son and heyre to William, Lord Eure, which dyed before hys father, maryed Margery, dowghter to Syr Raff Bowes, and by her had yssu Wylliam, son and heyre; Raff, ijnd sone; Thomas, iijrd sone; Frances, wedyd to Lampton of Lampton; Anne.
- WYLLIAM, iijrd Lord Evre, and son and heyre to Sir Raff, maryed Ane, dowghter to Syr Edward Dymmoke, of Skrylysby, and by her had yssu.
- The will of Sir Ralph Eure, father of William, first Lord Eure, dated 6 May, 1533, and proved 18 Dec., 1551, is printed in Test. Ebor., part vi. p. 183; that of William, first Lord Eure, dated 25 Feb., 1548-9, ibid., p. 185; and that of William, second Lord Eure, dated 22 Dec., 1592, and proved 5 July, 1599, in Durham Wills, part iii. p. 155. For further particulars see the notes to those wills and see also Dalton's visitation post. The shield for arms is left blank in the manuscript.
- WILLIAM LORD EURE NOWE CAPTEYGNE OF THE TOWNE AND CASTLE OF BERWYCKE.
- Loke for his Awncesters in the partchement boke.
- [This note is in Flower's handwriting.]
- SIR RAUFE EURE slayne on palmesondaye ffyelde [at Towton A. primo E. 4 (1461] weddyd [Elianor, doughter to the baron of Greystocke] and hadde issue Sir William Eure; John Eure of Malton ; and Hughe, a pryst; [Elizabeth, wife to John Ellercar; Johan sine prole; Raufe sine prole; Margaret, a nun at Watton ; Henrye and Johan twyndles and dyed ; Robert, knight of the Rodes* ; Mawde ; Anne sine prole; and another sine prole.†]
- SIR WYLLIAM EURE, knight, weddyd Mergarett, doughtre to olde Sir Roberte Cunstable of Flaumborowghe, and hadde issue Sir Rauphe; Sir Roberte Eure of Bradley; and Wylliam, a pryst ; Anne sine exitu; Margarett, a nune; and Agnes, dyed yonge; Anne; Elizabeth sine prole; and Marye.
- Aftre the seid Sir William weddyd to his ijde wyefe, Cunstannce, doughtre to [blank] and late wyefe to Sir Henrye Percye of Banborowghe, base sonne to [blank], and by her hadde issue Henrye Eure, John and Ewstace.
- SIR RAUPHE EURE wedydd fyrst Meryell, doughtre to Sir Hughe Hastinge of Fenwycke beside Hatfyld in Yorkeshere, and had issue Sir William, the fyrst lord ; John and Hughe, bothe ij which dyed yonge.
- Aftre the seid Sir Rauphe weddyd Agnes, yet lyvinge, late ijde wyefe to Sir Rauphe Bygod, daughtre to [blank] Constable of Dromondbye, beside Stokesley in Cleveland in Yorkeshere and had issue Francesse and Jane, twyndles, which Francesse was wiefe to Sir George Coygnyers of Sokburne, and she dyed withowt issue, and Jane fyrste she was wiefe to Sir Henrye Pudsey of Bardforde, and aftre she was wedyd to Thomas Wylliamson, feodarye of the Northe Rydinge in Yorkeshere, and Margerye Eure, iijd doughtre to Sir Rauphe wedyd to Sir Ffrauncys Salven, knight.‡
- * 16 Harl. Soc. has "knight of the order of St. John."
- † These words in brackets are interlined in Flower's handwriting.
- ‡ 16 Harl. Soc. puts after the name of Sir Francis Salvin the words "captain of the towne, etc." which should come in the next line after the name of William, Lord Eure, as in the text of the Dalton MS. Foster in his Visitation of Yorkshire, p. 613, following 16 Harl. Soc. makes the same mistake.
- WILLIAM THE LORDE EURE, capteyne of the towne and castle of Berwyck and warden of thest marches, weddyd Elizabeth, sustre to William, Lord Wyllowghbye, father to the Dutchesse of Suffolke, doughtre to Sir Christopofer, and had issue Sir Rauphe; John sine prole§ ; and Henrye; Margerye; Meryell and Anne; which Margerye wedyd William Bukton of Bennyngham in Holdrenes; Meryell was fyrst the wyefe to Sir George Bowes and aftre to William Wyclyffe of Wyclyffe ; and Anne was wiefe to Anthonye Thorpe of Coonnysthorpe in Yorkeshere.
- SIR RAUPHE EURE, knight, son and heyre to the Lorde William Eure, wedyd Margerye, doughtre to Sir Rauphe Bowes, knight, the yonger, and had issue William, nowe Lorde; Rauphe and Thomas; Franncesse, wiefe to Robert Lampton of Lampton in the busshopryke; and Anne Eure, wyef to Launcelott Myrefyld of Yorkeshere, which Sir Rauphe was slayne in his father's lyefe and so was neuer lorde, but was lord Warden of myddle marches agenste Scotland and was slayne by therle of Arrayne, nowe duke of Chattelheraulde, then gouvernour there at a place called Panyell Hewghe besyde Mewres in West Tyvedalle A° H. 8.
- WILLIAM the ijde Lord Eure and nowe Capteyne of the towne and castle of Berwycke [A° 6 Marie] || weddyd Margaret, doughtre to Sir Edward Dymmocke of Skyrlysbye in the countie of Lyncolne, knyght, and hath issue Anne, Meryell, and Rauphe, borne in Berwycke castle the xxiiijthe daye of Septembre [1558 A° 5 et 6 Phi. et Mar.]|| beinge Settredaye at viij of the clocke in the mornynge and chrystenyd in the paryshe churche there on Monday nexte by Mr. Christopofer Nevyll, deputye for his brother Henrye, Erie of Westmorland, then lord lyuetenante of the North parties, and Thomas, Erle of Northumberland in person.
- HENRYE EURE of Bushops Mydleham, Esquyre, son to Wylliam, Lord Eure, weddyd Elyanor, doughtre to John Hebburne of Hardwycke in the busshoprycke, late wyefe to William Halle of Busshops Myddleham in the Busshoprycke and hadd ij doughters.
- HENRYE EURE of [blank] gentleman, son to olde Sir William Eures, knight, by his ijde wyefe Cunstance, weddyd Anne, doughtre and one of the heyres of William Borowghe of Borowghe beside Catryck brydge in Yorkeshere and had no issue by her but Anne who dyed yonge, and so thole
- § 16 Harl. Soc. omits "John sine prole."
- || Interlined in Flower's handwriting.
- borowghes lands comyd to Sir Thomas Tempest of Holmeshead, knight, in the busshopryck which had wedyd thother sustre and hey re.
- Foster's elaborate pedigree of Eure in Visitations of Yorkshire, pp. 607-617 gives full particulars of these generations. This pedigree by Dalton is useful as giving the original contemporary information. It has evidently been copied in 16 Harl. Soc. with some errors which Foster has followed. William, second Lord Eure, was appointed Captain of Berwick by patent dated shortly prior to 4th Jan., 1558-9, Cal. State Papers Foreign, 1558-9, p. 72. The divorce proceedings between Mary, daughter of George, Lord Darcy, and William, second Lord Eure, mentioned in Foster's pedigree are printed in Surtees Society publ., vol. xxii. p. 54. The following are references to Eure wills which have been printed or abstracted. The notes of the editors of the wills give much additional information.
- Matilda Eure, mother of Sir Ralph Eure, who was slain at Towton, dated 12 Sept., 1464-5, proved 30 May, 1467, Durham Wills, part ii. p. 284.
- Thomas Eure, brother of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 20 Feb., 1474-5, proved 24 Feb., 1474-5, Test. Ebor., part iii. p. 214.
- Henry Eure, brother of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 17 Oct., 1476, proved 5 Dec., 1477, ibid., part iii. p. 222
- John Eure, son of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 19 Mar., 1492-3, proved 11 June, 1493, ibid., part iv. p. 83.
- Ralph Eure, son of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 4 June, 1483, proved 1 June, 1484, ibid., part iv. p. 83.
- Hugh Eure, son of the same Sir Ralph Eure, dated 7 Mar., 1522-3, proved 16 April, 1523, ibid., part iv. p. 83.
- Sir Ralph Eure, who married Muriel Hastings, dated 6 May, 1533, proved 18 Dec., 1551, ibid., part vi. p. 183.
- Sir William Eure, first Lord Eure, dated 25 Feb., 1548-9, proved 1548-9, ibid., part vi. p. 185.
- William Eure, second Lord Eure, dated 22 Dec., 1592, proved 5 July, 1599, Durham Wills, part iii. p. 155.
Name: William Eure 2nd Lord Eure
Given Name: William
Suffix: 2nd Lord Eure
Birth: 10 May 1529
Death: 12 Sep 1594
William, second Lord Eure, or Evers, son of Sir Ralph Eure, by Margery, daughter of Sir Ralph Bowes, of Streatlam Castle in Durham, succeeded his grandfather, William, in the title, and was bred to the profession of arms. He is styled in a very fine pedigree of his family, preserved in the College of Arms, "Gulielmus de Eure, Miles (cujus jussu delineatur) Dominus Eure, olim Capitaneus Castri et Villa Barwici." He was joined to Lord Wharton in that command, and in the Wardenry, not long before the date of this letter, and his commission was renewed in the 1st of Elizabeth. In 1570 he served under the Earl of Sussex on the borders, and in Scotland; and in 1587 was appointed, with the Earl of Rutland, to treat of a league with the Scots. He married Margaret, daughter of Sir Edward Dymoke, of Scrivelsby in Lincolnshire, by whom he had five sons ; Ralph, his successor; Francis ; William; Charles; and Charles ; and six daughters; Anne, married to John, son and heir of Sir William Mallory; Muriel, to Richard Goodrick, of Ribston in Yorkshire ; Martha, to Sir William Armine ; Mary, Margaret, and Elizabeth. Lord Eure died Feb. 12, 1593?4.
Upon the failure of this nobleman's male line, the family estates which were very valuable, particularly in Yorkshire, were inherited by his great great grand-daughters, Margaret, wife of Thomas, son of Sir Thomas Danby, and Mary, wife of William Palmes, of Ashwell in Rutlandshire, and Linley in Yorkshire. From the descendants of the latter an ancestor of the late Marquis of Rock- ingham purchased a considerable part, particularly Malton, where the Lords Eure had a magnificent mansion. The title became extinct in George, Lord Eure, a violent sectary, and a man of singular character, who represented the county of York in Cromwell's House of Commons, and lived till the beginning of the last century.
1 2 3
Change Date: 20 Aug 2009 at 01:00:00
Father: Ralph Eure
Mother: Margery Bowes
Marriage 1 Margaret Dymoke
William Eure of Bradley
Title: The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant
Author: Editor: G.E. Cokayne, with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden
Publication: St. Catherine Press, 29 Great Queen St, Kingsway, W.C. 1959
Title: The Complete Baronetage
Author: George Edward Cokayne
Publication: Exeter, 1903
Title: Collins' Peerage of England, Genealogical, Biographical, and Historical, Greatly Augmented, and continued to the present
Author: Sir Egerton Brydges
William Eure, 2nd Baron Eure's Timeline
February 27, 1530
Mitton, Yorks, England
Ribston, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
September 24, 1558
Berwick, Northumberland, England
Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, England
Of, Berwick Castle, Northumberland, England
Of Heyford, Warren, Oxfordshire, England
Stokesley, North Yorkshire, UK
Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, England
Of, Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, England
Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, England